Sign in with
Your question

Nvidia GTS 450gb FPS lag and stuttering. Please help!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 3, 2012 8:58:45 PM

Unhappy 'Upgraded' to an Nvidia GTS 450 2GB - Unplayable FPS Lag on any game. Please help!
Hi guys, this is my first ever post on this forum although I have you guys to thank for fixing the countless issues I have experienced as a PC gamer over the years. Unfortunately, I have finally encountered a problem which I have spent many, many frustrating hours researching and trying to fix, to no avail.

I had an Nvidia 8600 GT which performed well on pretty much any game (Fallout 3, CS:S, L4D 2, S.T.A.L.K.E.R, Call of Duty: World at War), of course I couldn't crank up the settings on games like GTA IV but it would still run smoothly.

Anyway, I decided to upgrade to a card that I read good reviews about and was within my budget so I decided on the Nvidia GTX 550ti 1024MB so that I could play new(ish) games at reasonable settings (specifically ArmA II, Mafia II, Battlefield 3). After a clean install (driver sweeper etc.) of the new card and latest drivers I found that not only were the new games FPS lagging and stuttering at minimum settings but the games which I had no problems before with were now all unplayable at the lowest settings. (I even tried Battlefield 1942 and it stuttered and lagged out just like the others!).

Here is what I have tried so far:

I assumed my 500W PSU was underpowered so I upgraded to a 700W

I tried old Nvidia Drivers, new drivers, beta drivers...

I disabled Nvidia HD Audio Drivers - Seemed to help temporarily, but not anymore.

Uninstalled old ATI drivers

Cleaned my PC immaculately inside and out and managed to drop the operating temperature significantly.

Overclocked my CPU to 3Ghz. It didn't make a difference so I moved it back to stock.

Turned off Thermal Throttling

Turned off some other power saving mode in the bios (I can't remember what it's called).

Updated XP

Reinstalled DX9

After trying all this I assumed the card must be faulty so I returned it for a GTS 450 2GB, tried all of the above and still no luck.

Please could you wonderful people help out an extremely frustrated person get back into PC gaming... I am so annoyed by this problem that I have even considered doing the unthinkable... Converting to console!

Here are my PC specifications:

OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU @ 2.40GHz, x86 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 7
Processor Count: 4

Motherboard: , 4Core1333-FullHD

RAM: 3647 Mb

Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450, -2048 Mb

Nvidia Software: 301.42

Hard Drives: C: Total - 238464 MB, Free - 32809 MB; Z: Total - 476937 MB, Free - 302292 MB.

PSU: 700W

Antivirus: AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 2012, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

___________________________________________________________________________ __________

If you need any more information, please just ask
a b U Graphics card
September 3, 2012 9:16:52 PM

Your system is too slow for modern games. The 550 Ti and GTS 450 are both slow, but you also have the (in 2012) slow stock clocked Q6600 (that is a 6600 isn't it?). Put those two together and you have low FPS. I'd overclock the CPU to 3.0Ghz to ease bottlenecks, then upgrade to something like a 6870. BTW, what PSU? What is the rail info on the +12V?
a b U Graphics card
September 3, 2012 11:00:42 PM

If you have just one card, then it can stutter, as stuttering is an issue with crossfire/sli config.

Related resources
September 19, 2012 1:21:01 AM

cbush did you fixed your problem? Because you seemed to have received some BS responses that aren't true at all. Your system shouldn't be stuttering in those games, you have more than an adequate system to play them pretty smoothly. My suggestion to you is to re-format and re-install Windows XP. I know its a pain in the butt but I seemed to have those unfixable problems with Windows XP once in a while and no matter what I would do I could never fix it until I re-installed to whole damn OS from scratch, I ended up getting used to it and learned how to schedule and organize backups so everything went pretty smoothly and fast. But yeah, Windows XP was fast as heck, but the system stability sucked balls! If you like to multitask a lot or have a lot of background apps running then it would help if you upgrade your Ram to at least 4gb.

The reason why I say you received BS responses is because I still have a system pretty similar to yours, for over 4 years now and it still performs pretty damn great. You have a better video card than me (8800gt) so you should get more frames if you overclock your cpu, I have a Q6600 @ 3.2ghz for over 4 years and its still kicking.

Also, I assume your PSU is not one of those generic crappy ones and that your +12V rail is up to the requirements of your video card?
a c 191 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
September 19, 2012 2:44:14 AM

lpedraja2002 said:
Also, I assume your PSU is not one of those generic crappy ones and that your +12V rail is up to the requirements of your video card?

That would have been my question.
September 19, 2012 5:33:00 PM

lpedraja2002 said:
cbush did you fixed your problem? Because you seemed to have received some BS responses that aren't true at all. Your system shouldn't be stuttering in those games, you have more than an adequate system to play them pretty smoothly. My suggestion to you is to re-format and re-install Windows XP. I know its a pain in the butt but I seemed to have those unfixable problems with Windows XP once in a while and no matter what I would do I could never fix it until I re-installed to whole damn OS from scratch, I ended up getting used to it and learned how to schedule and organize backups so everything went pretty smoothly and fast. But yeah, Windows XP was fast as heck, but the system stability sucked balls! If you like to multitask a lot or have a lot of background apps running then it would help if you upgrade your Ram to at least 4gb.

The reason why I say you received BS responses is because I still have a system pretty similar to yours, for over 4 years now and it still performs pretty damn great. You have a better video card than me (8800gt) so you should get more frames if you overclock your cpu, I have a Q6600 @ 3.2ghz for over 4 years and its still kicking.

Thank you for replying, I still haven't fixed my problem. I completely re installed XP about 2 weeks ago and it didn't fix my problem. Also, I do have a generic PSU that you might think is the cause. I replaced my original 500w for an 'EVO Labs' 750w. But I really doubt this is the problem.
!