First Time Building Installation Questions

lauri999

Honorable
May 23, 2012
I have all the parts and am ready to start building but I have a couple questions. I read thru the guides here and a couple other places but found no info.

Should I use the stock cooler for now to make sure all my RAM is working? Otherwise with the Phanteks CPU Cooler, I would most likely have to remove that to get the RAM out, correct? I do plan on breadboarding this first. When I finish that what should I leave on the motherboard when mounting it to case?

Any suggestions, helps, tips or tricks appreciated. My build is below.

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K
CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BL
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V DELUXE
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Video Cards: Asus GeForce GTX 680 CU II TOP SLI
Case: Cooler Master HAF X Blue ATX Full Tower Case
Power Supply: SeaSonic Platinum 1000W 80 PLUS Platinum
Optical Drive: LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Optical Drive: Plextor 24X DVD RW
Monitor: BenQ XL2420TX 120Hz 24.0" Monitor
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit)
Keyboard: Logitech G19 Wired Standard Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech G9x Wired Laser Mouse
Other: Corsair 2000 Wirelss Headphones
Other: Corsair SP2500 2.1 Speakers

Solution
The trick with swapping coolers is the thermal compound. It's generally advised that you completely clean the CPU surface with something like rubbing alcohol and then be completely certain that it's dry before applying new compound and installing a new cooler.

It's rare to get DOA RAM, and I think you'll still be able to get to it after the phanteks is installed. You may need to just unclip the fan on that side. I would personally just install the RAM, then the CPU and (Phanteks) cooler and breadboard it. If something is wrong, you're no worse off than you would have been before swapping coolers, and if everything is good (which it probably will be) then you don't have to remove it at all. I'd leave the stock cooler completely out of...

lauri999

Honorable
May 23, 2012
I am confused on why it would be annoying to put the aftermarket cooler on afterwords versus now. Do you think it would be easier taking it off again if I need to remove the Ram?

ckholt83

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012
The trick with swapping coolers is the thermal compound. It's generally advised that you completely clean the CPU surface with something like rubbing alcohol and then be completely certain that it's dry before applying new compound and installing a new cooler.

It's rare to get DOA RAM, and I think you'll still be able to get to it after the phanteks is installed. You may need to just unclip the fan on that side. I would personally just install the RAM, then the CPU and (Phanteks) cooler and breadboard it. If something is wrong, you're no worse off than you would have been before swapping coolers, and if everything is good (which it probably will be) then you don't have to remove it at all. I'd leave the stock cooler completely out of the equation.

Even (especially?) with big 3rd party coolers, I do that install outside of the case and THEN mount the motherboard so you're not having to try and manipulate the fiddly bits in a confined space.

Solution