• Nvidia
  • Gtx
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b Î Nvidia
September 3, 2012 9:40:14 PM

Another "early" review from TT!

This is not the 660TI, it's the 660 (non TI) like the 560TI and the 560!
http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/4922/nvidia_geforce_gt...

More about : gtx 660 reviewed

September 3, 2012 10:44:41 PM

Kinda underimpressive in light of the offerings/pricing structure from AMD, similar to how the 660ti was.

Once Nvidia cuts prices a bit, they'll have a great card on their hands.
Anonymous
a b Î Nvidia
September 3, 2012 10:55:33 PM

i wouldn't trust a TT review.
where are the system specs with the driver information?!

seriously, i love nVidia but those crackheads just might be using CC 12.4 drivers to kiss nVidias arse by making them look better.
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
September 3, 2012 11:07:05 PM

Anonymous said:
i wouldn't trust a TT review.
where are the system specs with the driver information?!

seriously, i love nVidia but those crackheads just might be using CC 12.4 drivers to kiss nVidias arse by making them look better.

Yeah I call shinanigans. The 7970 should be blowing the 670/680 out of the water on Unigine Heaven.
September 3, 2012 11:13:13 PM

This has happened with every review... the 670, the 660ti, now this... they post a review, a bunch of people call shenanigans, and then it winds up true.

They don't have the most extensive test suite, so sometimes their conclusions are a bit off, but they've been legit up to now... I see no reason to put on the tinfoil hats now.
a b Î Nvidia
September 3, 2012 11:16:06 PM

BigMack70 said:
This has happened with every review... the 670, the 660ti, now this... they post a review, a bunch of people call shenanigans, and then it winds up true.

They don't have the most extensive test suite, so sometimes their conclusions are a bit off, but they've been legit up to now... I see no reason to put on the tinfoil hats now.

I posted a rant about this a week or two ago. I noticed that some reviewing sites are so eager to shout "first!" that they don't bother rerunning benchmarks, they just benchmark the new card and slap it beside the existing data from the old ones. I caught one outlet (I believe it was Tweak Town) doing this with the GeForce 670 review. They used Catalyst 12.1 (which didn't have full support for the 7970) despite the 12.3/12.4 drivers being readily available at the time.
Anonymous
a b Î Nvidia
September 3, 2012 11:32:37 PM

BigMack70 said:

ok, point taken.

and with that i will stated that any review that does not spec out the test system ought to be viewed with a skeptical eye.

on a side note: TT has stated in the recent past that they have fallen into disfavor with nVidia and wish to amend that.
(better?)
September 4, 2012 12:16:00 AM

I don't know what TT's policy is on drivers - i.e. if they update drivers as they go along or if they just run tests once and then never again on new drivers. I don't think they say anywhere.

My point was just that their reviews aren't totally fabricated. They definitely don't get a comprehensive picture of the card, but they're generally not too far off. Also 92% is a relatively low rating from them and they posted a pretty amazing rant about Nvidia a while ago --> I don't think they're too concerned about buttering Nvidia up:
http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/4892/nvidia_s_strong_...
a b Î Nvidia
September 4, 2012 12:28:35 AM

BigMack70 said:
I don't know what TT's policy is on drivers - i.e. if they update drivers as they go along or if they just run tests once and then never again on new drivers. I don't think they say anywhere.

My point was just that their reviews aren't totally fabricated. They definitely don't get a comprehensive picture of the card, but they're generally not too far off. Also 92% is a relatively low rating from them and they posted a pretty amazing rant about Nvidia a while ago --> I don't think they're too concerned about buttering Nvidia up:

I don't doubt that the results for the 660 are dead accurate, at least at the settings they were tested. My concern is that the lack of clear specification of what was tested and what it was tested on can lead a reader to believe that the 660 is better than it actually is, or that the AMD cards are worse than they actually are.

It takes two 7970s in Crossfire to max out Metro 2033 at 2560x1600 and have a playable frame rate. Their review seems to show a single one pulling over 60 FPS with the GeForce cards not far behind. This is twice the framerate in any other reviewing publication without even considering that NVidia cards are usually very far behind in Metro due to the use of DirectCompute for some processing effects

They seem to show "average FPS" instead of min/average/max. Average from what? Staring into a wall? This is just plain lazy.

They also didn't test Unigine at 2560x1600 with high tessellation where the 7970s are king
Anonymous
a b Î Nvidia
September 4, 2012 2:15:51 AM

BigMack70 said:

i had to stop at:
Quote:
Sure, back then, we weren't a leading technology website as we are today,

thanks for the laugh. anyone who suggests a Llano cpu and 7770 for a $1000 build is not exactly "leading" in any type of technology, sorry.

though i do not have the reference to their statement apologizing to nvidia for breaking the NDA and wishing to "get along" with them; seriously, that whole article is imbued with such unprofessionalism and immaturity; to air out personal opinions why you ain't on someone's "christmas card" list; i doubt anybody would desire to deal with such behavior.

another nail in the "take anything TT says with a grain of salt" coffin.
a b Î Nvidia
September 4, 2012 2:42:36 AM

LOL! ^^

(off topic) just noticed everyone has a silver badge here! :p 
Anonymous
a b Î Nvidia
September 4, 2012 2:58:18 AM

yeah graphics badges are easy.
all you have to do is cherry pick benchmarks to get people thinking you know what you're talking about . .
:kaola: 

:lol: 

a b Î Nvidia
September 4, 2012 3:04:00 AM

Anonymous said:
yeah graphics badges are easy.
all you have to do is cherry pick benchmarks to get people thinking you know what you're talking about . .
:kaola: 

:lol: 

You think that's easy? I got almost my entire Windows 7 gold badge from telling people off!
September 4, 2012 3:04:04 AM

Like this one!

;) 
Anonymous
a b Î Nvidia
September 4, 2012 3:23:53 AM

see, thats another thing i dislike about TT, they consider a link graph as being stolen.

ha!

(refresh and you'll see what i mean)
a b Î Nvidia
September 4, 2012 4:03:27 AM

Hardwaresecrets.wmv
September 8, 2012 3:13:59 AM

TT is always off.
a b Î Nvidia
September 8, 2012 3:15:26 AM

Patflute said:
TT is always off.

Exactly. Their testing methodology is very sloppy. It's no wonder why NVidia doesn't want them reviewing their cards before retail launch
a b Î Nvidia
September 8, 2012 3:49:56 AM

anyone knows the ETA for the gtx660?

I am building a new pc for a mate and really would love to save $80 on the gpu.
Anonymous
a b Î Nvidia
September 8, 2012 5:40:07 AM

i thought it was thursday the 13th . .
!