Upgrading 8800 GTS - looking for help/suggestions

I've spent some time looking into the 5k/6k series AMD and 400/500 series GeForce GPUs and I am a little lost in terms of comparing these to the 8800 GTS.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: as soon as I decide what to get
BUDGET RANGE: looking for sub-$100 cards since I'm upgrading such an old machine. sub-$80 would be even better. This can be after rebates.
USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming mostly, it was originally built for WoW (no longer play).

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY:
GPU - 8800 GTS
PSU - Antec True Power Trio TP3-650 650W

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS:
CPU:Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale OC @3.8
FSB @ 423 w/ 9x cpu multiplier (OC @ 3.8)
Mobo:GIGABYTE GA-EP35C-DS3R Rev 2.1 Bios F4
I've found conflicting posts about whether the 2.1 pcie standard is supported by my board. I do know it will only run @ 1.1 though.
RAM:6GB OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2
running at just over 800Mhz to support OC

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: amazon.com, newegg.com

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: U.S.

PARTS PREFERENCES: whatever gets the job done!

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1080p native, running newer games @ 1024x768

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I am trying to squeeze the last bit of life out of it before I bite the bullet and buy a new machine. Hoping to get about 10-15 more fps in mechwarrior online (sitting around 0-9 FPS in combat on low settings).

According to the mechwarrior public forums:
Quote:

MechWarrior Online Minimum System Spec:

CPU:

Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66GHz

Athlon II X2 245e

GPU:

GeForce 8800GT

Radeon HD 5600/5700

RAM: 4 GB

DirectX: DX9

HDD Space: 4 GB
MechWarrior Online Recommended System Spec:

CPU: Core i3-2500 AMD Athlon II X4 650

GPU: GeForce GTX 285 Radeon HD 5830

RAM: 8 GB OS: Windows 7 SP-1 64-Bit

DirectX: DX9

HDD Space: 4 GB

Right now a duo core system is our minimum spec machine but it is also our main focus of concern. It is playable on those specifications and I have tested it myself but it is currently very much a minimum spec type of experience running on low-detail settings. It’s obvious that a Quad core system is the key as even the earliest Core 2 Quad systems run the game very well and it is our goal (since there are still so many out there), to optimize the Core 2 Duo systems to run much faster.
1 answer Last reply
More about upgrading 8800 help suggestions
  1. Ended up just adding another 2gb of the same ram to get it back in dual channel, upgrading the gpu, and buying a SSD. Thanks for reading all! :)
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards GPUs Graphics Product