Solved

GPU and Monitor. Which to upgrade 1st?

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: 1-2 weeks from now and about a month or two from then.

BUDGET RANGE: Roughly $300 CAD After Rebates

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: DAW/Audio Production, Gaming, Internet, Movies, Photography

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: Intel HD 4000 and Corsair 650AX

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: i5 3570k, Gigabyte z77 UD5H, Vengeance LP Blue 16GB 1600 RAM, Corsair 500R case

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.ca, ncix.ca

PARTS PREFERENCES: GPU will need to be nVidia, Monitor - preferably no AG coating and at least 1080p

GPU OVERCLOCKING: Maybe

SLI: Maybe in future

CURRENT MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1280x1024, upgrade to at least 1920x1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Would prefer around 27" monitor as I sit about 3.5' away on average. Also 2ms response time preferred. Games: Skyrim, D3, MW3, BF3. Mostly all on lowest settings currently :p

I have been leaning towards the GTX 660 ti and the $200 - $300 23" - 27" Asus monitors but the range of models is a little confusing and I don't believe they are glossy/ have no AG coating.

If I end up getting a 660 ti and a 27" 1080p monitor, which one should i get first?

Also, are there any recommended manufacturers for the 660 ti?

Thanks for your time :)
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about monitor upgrade
  1. The standard for desktop monitors seems to be a matte (anti-glare) finish; if it's not specified for a particular model I'd assume that's the way the monitor is coated.

There's no required order to do this in, so it's up to preference. I might go for the GPU first so that you don't see any possible performance loss due to moving to a higher resolution on the integrated card in the period between the two purchases. Actually you'd see a big performance increase right away, and can then upgrade the monitor later and keep the performance boost.
  2. Best answer
    I'm usually recommend monitor first since it will be benefit not only in gaming but on every day task, but in your situation.......

your current GPU will take a blow if u upgrade monitor first (up in resolution) so GPU first..

for gpu in that price range from Nv teams it the good choice (660Ti)
  3. I would certainly buy a new GPU first in this situation. If you buy a better monitor now, your current GPU might stress a little more and have some issues.
  4. yes the 660 first. it will massively improve your frame rates and then get a monitor
  5. Thanks for the advice everyone :)

I believe I will go with the 660 Ti first.

Do any of you know which manufacturer seems to be best?
    From what I have read, this MSI 660 Ti appears to be a good mix of stability/low temps/quiet. So far, it looks like the one I will be purchasing in 2 days (fri, sept. 5th), unless I can be persuaded otherwise.

@regor245 and whoever else may have been confused about my budget range I apologise, I should have made it clear that I meant ~$300 each. Thought I fixed that before I posted :p
  6. yup it a good card
  7. yes msi is good choice ..msi gtx660 oc edition with triple over voltage and twin frozr 4. TWIN FROZR BABY.!!!!!
  8. Best answer selected by c0r0na.
  9. Ok. MSI it is.

Thanks again :)
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards GPUs Monitors Graphics Product