Sign in with
Your question

WAN/ LAN Question

Last response: in Networking
October 19, 2011 1:44:41 PM

Hi...I will start this by saying I'm fairly good with understanding computers but routers continue to be out of my realm of understanding so I'm slowly trying to educate myself. I notice on my router (it's a wired D-Link with only my computer wired to it currently) that it shows under Routes that I have two WAN connections and one LAN connection. The LAN connection shows my IP Address.

My question is: Am I suppose to have two WAN connections and one LAN connection? With only my pc connected to the router I wasn't sure why I would show three routes.

THanks

More about : wan lan question

October 19, 2011 5:42:33 PM

The wan connection from your router to the modem is one and the modem to the node is two. It is essentially showing the gateway for the router and then the gateway for the modem. There are many other hops between you and the NET but those are typically the two that are identified on a router.
m
l
October 19, 2011 6:11:50 PM

In my set up would I have any reason to be identifying a LAN? I only have one computer hooked to the router right now. Nothing else.
m
l
November 5, 2011 1:58:36 AM

JohnD212 said:
In my set up would I have any reason to be identifying a LAN? I only have one computer hooked to the router right now. Nothing else.

Because if you were plugged strait into the cable modem it would just be one WAN, the router is what your connected to so it wants to create a LAN.
m
l
!