Reboot and select proper boot device error, when HDD removed

dency45

Honorable
Sep 22, 2012
I have two HDD in my system unit, let's name them Sata 1 which has the OS and 1TB, the 2nd is Sata 2 which doesn't have any data and it is 60GB. When i remove the Sata 2 from the PSU and Mobo this error occurs, i don't know why. It has no data, and the OS installation is in Sata1.

I already tried inserting a system repair cd and chose command prompt. When i entered the command C: then cd boot, an error occurs saying "Element not found". :(

Maybe the boot order is set to go to SATA2, with SATA1 as a backup option. So previously it hit SATA1, failed, then tried SATA2 and suceeded.
By removing the drive, it assumes that it has failed or otherwise being taken. So it throws an error message at you.

Make sure the boot order has SATA1 as the first essentially.

dency45

Honorable
Sep 22, 2012
I checked my Mobo as you said and the boot order is correct like Sata 1, then Sata 2.

In the Boot Override options, if i choose Sata 1, it will say Boot MGR is missing, lol, even though the OS is still there, but if i choose Sata 2, the windows will now boot even though it doesn't have any data. :O

dency45

Honorable
Sep 22, 2012
solved. i did this
1) Open a command prompt as admin, then type the following:

bcdboot C:\windows /s C:

Hit Enter.

This command places boot files on the C: partition which is your windows.

2) Now open disk management, right click C: and click Mark active. Right click System reserved and click Mark Inactive (unless its already showing inactive).

Reboot. Once all this is successfully completed, use partition wizard boot cd to delete system reserved and pull E: to the left to use up all the space on the disk.
from
http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/189387-system-reserved-partition-wrong-drive-how-do-i-move.html