Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Need advice on this build. Much appreciated.

Tags:
Last response: in Systems
Share
October 31, 2012 10:24:16 AM

Help would be much appreciated. I am looking at building a custom pc with http://www.mwave.com.au/. I want it to run BF3 on high across 2 or maybe more monitors depending whether or not I can afford the monitors. All I know about it is that I want an AMD FX8350 CPU, an AMD Radeon HD 7970 3GB on a Asrock 990FX MOBO. Can you guys give me advice? What brand and speed RAM should I get? How much of it should I get? I was thinking 16GB but if so should I get 4x4GB RAM or 2x8GB RAM? Are all the components compatible? Do I need a sound card? What case and power supply? Also how big a HDD? I was thinking of maybe overclocking later on and maybe crossfiring if needed. If you could suggest a build on the website and post all the different components with the SKU numbers for http://www.mwave.com.au/. To get to the build a custom PC part of the website just click on Pc/Notebooks and build own pc. Sorry for such cluelessness but I really have no idea :D  My budget is about 1500 with operating system. Help is highly appreciated!! :) 

This is what I have put together.

• 17040389 X 1 – LG GH24NS90 24x Internal SATA DVD Burner Drive – OEM – Black (GH24NS90

• 28010742 X 1 – ASRock 990FX EXTREME4 Motherboard – AMD Socket AM3+ – AMD 990FX &

• 16011389 X 1 – Huntkey H001 Hercules ATX Midi Tower Chassis – SECC – 5.25" x4, 3

• 19040225 X 1 – AMD FX-8350 Black Edition 8-Core Processor – Socket AM3+ – 4.0GHz (Tur

• 34040861 X 1 – Cooler Master Silent Pro M2 Series 1000W Power Supply – Modular Cablin

• 22040472 X 1 – Western Digital WD Green 3.5" 1TB SATA 6.0Gb/s IntelliPower 64MB

• 37140953 X 1 – G.Skill Ripjaws-X 16GB(2x 8GB) Dual Channel Memory Kit – 240pin DIMM -

• 39090361 X 1 – Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium – DVD – SP1 – 32-Bit – OEM (GFC-02021

• 42060906 X 1 – Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 Overclocked V2 Video Card – GDDR5 3GB 384-bit

I am not sure of everything though. Any recommendations on changing things and are they all compatible? Thanks.
October 31, 2012 10:51:08 AM

You actually don't want an amd processor. If you really want the best performance stick with intel. 8 cores won't give you any benefit in bf3 or any other game, plus intels cpus are faster clock for clock.

Also windows 64bit not 32bit.

1000W PSU is way way way too much. Stick with a good ~650W psu.

If you want to save some money, 16gb of ram isnt necessary. 2x4gb is more than enough for any game.

"Green" harddrives usually are slow. Get a good 7200rpm drive and consider a small ssd for o/s and such. Shouldn't be too hard to fit in your budget.
m
0
l
October 31, 2012 1:27:32 PM

Would agree with the above. You don't fully say, what PC is for. Obviously gaming, but if you are doing a lot of photo/video work, using high-end software, like Adobe CS6, there may be some arguement, for AMD Piledriver, otherwise Intel i5-3570K is much better, for gaming.
Having some difficulties with that website, plus I have heard some negatives, about it. I'm from UK, so have no idea how justified that is. I have used PC Partpicker, so parts are available, in Aus, and it should be giving cheapest place, to buy. Selection of actual supplier, is, of course, your choice.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($233.00 @ PCCaseGear)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($36.00 @ Mwave Australia)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($197.00 @ Scorptec)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($49.00 @ Scorptec)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($105.00 @ Mwave Australia)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($82.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card ($415.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Case: Corsair 400R ATX Mid Tower Case ($115.00 @ Mwave Australia)
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($139.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS90 DVD/CD Writer ($22.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 3-Pack (64-bit) ($99.00 @ Scorptec)
Total: $1492.00
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

I am not familiar, with your chosen case, so have no idea if it's any good. I've selected a decent quality one, that's suitable for your needs. Cases are a very personal choice, so if you prefer yours, make sure you check out some expert reviews.
At your budget, I always feel a build deserves a good motherboard. I have chosen one of the best, in terms of quality and performance. There are cheaper boards, that would be perfectly adequate.
Power supply is adequate, even if you want to add a 2nd GPU. You can use higher PSU, if you wish, but your original selection is not the most reliable.
m
0
l
Related resources
October 31, 2012 4:46:02 PM

bavman said:
You actually don't want an amd processor. If you really want the best performance stick with intel. 8 cores won't give you any benefit in bf3 or any other game, plus intels cpus are faster clock for clock.


Piledriver is somewhat faster than Bulldozer - and it shows promise - but yeah it's not really worth purchasing when you could be buying Intel and getting a better CPU out of it.

Quote:
1000W PSU is way way way too much. Stick with a good ~650W psu.


And Cooler Master PSUs have a horrendous reputation around here, there's better brands you could go with.

I'd go for a build like this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($233.00 @ PCCaseGear)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U9B SE2 37.9 CFM CPU Cooler ($58.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($167.00 @ Scorptec)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($45.00 @ Mwave Australia)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($105.00 @ Scorptec)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($217.00 @ Mwave Australia)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($419.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($129.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($112.00 @ Mwave Australia)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS90 DVD/CD Writer ($22.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 3-Pack (64-bit) ($99.00 @ Scorptec)
Total: $1606.00
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
m
0
l
November 1, 2012 5:20:31 AM

What is a decent processor for the money? One that has good overclocking abilities and would be fairly easy to do so. i5 vs i7, Sandy bridge vs Ivy bridge. I have seen the i7 3770k on many pcs. Is this a good processor or are other ones just as good as if not better with or without an overclock? I was only thinking the FX 8350 because of the higher clock speed and lower price, $219 at www.mwave.com.au is cheaper than the Intels.
m
0
l
November 1, 2012 8:44:46 AM

g-unit1111 said:
Piledriver is somewhat faster than Bulldozer - and it shows promise - but yeah it's not really worth purchasing when you could be buying Intel and getting a better CPU out of it.

Quote:
1000W PSU is way way way too much. Stick with a good ~650W psu.


And Cooler Master PSUs have a horrendous reputation around here, there's better brands you could go with.

I'd go for a build like this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($233.00 @ PCCaseGear)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U9B SE2 37.9 CFM CPU Cooler ($58.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($167.00 @ Scorptec)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($45.00 @ Mwave Australia)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($105.00 @ Scorptec)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($217.00 @ Mwave Australia)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($419.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($129.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($112.00 @ Mwave Australia)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS90 DVD/CD Writer ($22.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 3-Pack (64-bit) ($99.00 @ Scorptec)
Total: $1606.00
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)



I have changed the entire system. It has taken me the past few hours due to my noobness but I have got there.

http://pcpartpicker.com/au/p/m7z6

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core $233.00
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 $139.00
Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 $115.00
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM $79.00
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 3GB $415.00
Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer ATX Mid Tower $89.00
Power Supply: Corsair 750W ATX12V / EPS12V $141.00
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS90 DVD/CD Writer $22.00
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (64-bit) $139.00

Total: $1372 using PCpartpicker AU

What do you think? Am I able to overclock in the future? Will crossfiring work on this rig? Have I got every thing I need? I might add a Solid State Drive. Any incompatibility issues?

Thanks,
Tom
m
0
l
November 1, 2012 8:46:11 AM

malbluff said:
Would agree with the above. You don't fully say, what PC is for. Obviously gaming, but if you are doing a lot of photo/video work, using high-end software, like Adobe CS6, there may be some arguement, for AMD Piledriver, otherwise Intel i5-3570K is much better, for gaming.
Having some difficulties with that website, plus I have heard some negatives, about it. I'm from UK, so have no idea how justified that is. I have used PC Partpicker, so parts are available, in Aus, and it should be giving cheapest place, to buy. Selection of actual supplier, is, of course, your choice.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($233.00 @ PCCaseGear)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($36.00 @ Mwave Australia)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($197.00 @ Scorptec)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($49.00 @ Scorptec)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($105.00 @ Mwave Australia)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($82.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card ($415.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Case: Corsair 400R ATX Mid Tower Case ($115.00 @ Mwave Australia)
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($139.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS90 DVD/CD Writer ($22.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 3-Pack (64-bit) ($99.00 @ Scorptec)
Total: $1492.00
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

I am not familiar, with your chosen case, so have no idea if it's any good. I've selected a decent quality one, that's suitable for your needs. Cases are a very personal choice, so if you prefer yours, make sure you check out some expert reviews.
At your budget, I always feel a build deserves a good motherboard. I have chosen one of the best, in terms of quality and performance. There are cheaper boards, that would be perfectly adequate.
Power supply is adequate, even if you want to add a 2nd GPU. You can use higher PSU, if you wish, but your original selection is not the most reliable.



I have changed the entire system. It has taken me the past few hours due to my noobness but I have got there.

http://pcpartpicker.com/au/p/m7z6

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core $233.00
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 $139.00
Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 $115.00
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM $79.00
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 3GB $415.00
Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer ATX Mid Tower $89.00
Power Supply: Corsair 750W ATX12V / EPS12V $141.00
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS90 DVD/CD Writer $22.00
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (64-bit) $139.00

Total: $1372 using PCpartpicker AU

What do you think? Am I able to overclock in the future? Will crossfiring work on this rig? Have I got every thing I need? I might add a Solid State Drive. Any incompatibility issues?

Thanks,
Tom
m
0
l
November 1, 2012 9:18:49 AM

It's all good ;)  You should get the SSD now and HDD later, it's much simpler.
m
0
l
November 1, 2012 10:09:40 AM

FinneousPJ said:
It's all good ;)  You should get the SSD now and HDD later, it's much simpler.


I changed it a bit again. Now it has an SSD and it wasn't much more for a bigger HDD. And changed the RAM from the Corsair Dominator at 1866 MHz to the Vengeance at 1600 MHz to save some money and another said that having the dominator would to next to nothing for me compared to the vengeance. What do you think? :) 

http://pcpartpicker.com/au/p/m7GE

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core $233.00
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing $36.00
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 $139.00
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 $49.00
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM $100.00
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" SSD $99.00
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 3GB $415.00
Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer ATX Mid Tower $89.00
Power Supply: Corsair 750W ATX12V / EPS12V $141.00
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS90 DVD/CD Writer $22.00
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (64-bit) $139.00

Decent? And is it going to overclock and crossfire? And is it all compatible? Sorry but I am very new to everything like this.
Thanks,
Tom :) 
m
0
l
November 1, 2012 10:10:31 AM

Teacake96 said:
I have changed the entire system. It has taken me the past few hours due to my noobness but I have got there.

http://pcpartpicker.com/au/p/m7z6

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core $233.00
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 $139.00
Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 $115.00
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM $79.00
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 3GB $415.00
Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer ATX Mid Tower $89.00
Power Supply: Corsair 750W ATX12V / EPS12V $141.00
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS90 DVD/CD Writer $22.00
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (64-bit) $139.00

Total: $1372 using PCpartpicker AU

What do you think? Am I able to overclock in the future? Will crossfiring work on this rig? Have I got every thing I need? I might add a Solid State Drive. Any incompatibility issues?

Thanks,
Tom

Couple of minor points.
Although you don't NEED it, until you want to overclock CPU, the stock cooler will do, you will need an aftermarket cooler, BEFORE you overclock. If that's going to be soon, suggest fitting AM cooler, from start, to save hassle of changing.
There is little point to RAM, over 1600MHz. You gain so little, in practice, it's just not worth the effort.
Whilst Corsair are usually pretty good, for PSU's, if that is a V2 version, there are minor issues, with it, and you may be better, with something different.
m
0
l
November 1, 2012 10:14:23 AM

Teacake96 said:
I changed it a bit again. Now it has an SSD and it wasn't much more for a bigger HDD. And changed the RAM from the Corsair Dominator at 1866 MHz to the Vengeance at 1600 MHz to save some money and another said that having the dominator would to next to nothing for me compared to the vengeance. What do you think? :) 

http://pcpartpicker.com/au/p/m7GE

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core $233.00
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing $36.00
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 $139.00
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 $49.00
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM $100.00
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" SSD $99.00
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 3GB $415.00
Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer ATX Mid Tower $89.00
Power Supply: Corsair 750W ATX12V / EPS12V $141.00
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS90 DVD/CD Writer $22.00
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (64-bit) $139.00

Decent? And is it going to overclock and crossfire? And is it all compatible? Sorry but I am very new to everything like this.
Thanks,
Tom :) 

Yeah just get the cheapest RAM, the performance differences are minimal.

Looks like an awesome build. Do you really need the Win Pro?
m
0
l
November 1, 2012 10:26:57 AM

FinneousPJ said:
Do you really need the Win Pro?


Uhm, not particularly. Is there any advantages to it when gaming especially and otherwise?

As for the build I have tried to make it decent enough without going past $1500. I want it to play BF3 pretty easy. I wasn't originally thinking to build one, I was going to go a prebuilt as I am very new to this kind of stuff, but everyone reckons build one and I have relatives who are heavily into IT so I can get them to help as I have never done it before. I thought it would involve soldering certain things together as I have seen my relatives do before. Turns out it is only like a complicated lego building. But I will still get someone to help. :D  Lack the confidence a bit :D 
m
0
l
November 1, 2012 10:28:24 AM

No, there isn't.

It's simpler than Lego :lol:  I'm sure you'll blow BF3 and other games away.
m
0
l
November 1, 2012 10:39:38 AM

malbluff said:
Couple of minor points.
Although you don't NEED it, until you want to overclock CPU, the stock cooler will do, you will need an aftermarket cooler, BEFORE you overclock. If that's going to be soon, suggest fitting AM cooler, from start, to save hassle of changing.
There is little point to RAM, over 1600MHz. You gain so little, in practice, it's just not worth the effort.
Whilst Corsair are usually pretty good, for PSU's, if that is a V2 version, there are minor issues, with it, and you may be better, with something different.


Yea I will with the PSU. I read the Corsair PSUs are pretty good, similar to Seasonic ones? It was rated 4 star on the PCpartpickker AU site. Mind you though, I can't say I know anything about PSUs or Computers in general really. So who am I to argue? :D 
m
0
l
November 1, 2012 10:59:55 AM

FinneousPJ said:
It's simpler than Lego :lol:  I'm sure you'll blow BF3 and other games away.


Haha I was always good with lego.... Maybe I could learn to do this. After I build this one with my relative guiding me through it I might try and build just a cheap one for everyday use. I have my laptop but I much prefer a desktop . :)  I hope it goes alright for bf3 :) 
m
0
l
November 1, 2012 11:26:41 AM

If using Corsair Vengeance RAM, make sure it's the CML version. The high heat sinks on some, can clash with cooler.
Corsair are also good for PSUs. However, if that is the V2 version, it does have some minor issues, like lack of speed control on the fan. If thats the non-modular version, and an XFX equivalent is available, it may be worth using that. Not a major issue, though.
m
0
l
November 1, 2012 12:17:18 PM

On e thing, which should be mentioned, as you've raised it; HD7970 outperforms GTX670, by a decent margin, in most games. However, there are certain games, optimised for nVidia, where the GTX670 "turns the tables", and actually has a small lead, over HD7970. One of those is BF3 (others include Borderlands, Starcraft, Portal).
If you want performance, over a range of games, definitely stick with HD7970, but if you are SPECIFICALLY looking for BF3 performance, the GTX670 is possibly better value.
m
0
l
November 1, 2012 3:27:32 PM

That's unfortunately true, at least for time being.
m
0
l
November 1, 2012 7:55:12 PM

malbluff said:
On e thing, which should be mentioned, as you've raised it; HD7970 outperforms GTX670, by a decent margin, in most games. However, there are certain games, optimised for nVidia, where the GTX670 "turns the tables", and actually has a small lead, over HD7970. One of those is BF3 (others include Borderlands, Starcraft, Portal).
If you want performance, over a range of games, definitely stick with HD7970, but if you are SPECIFICALLY looking for BF3 performance, the GTX670 is possibly better value.


Could I avoid this later by crossfiring 7970s? Others said a thing called catalyst did great things for that card on BF3 and now the 7970 out performs some of the nvidia cards on BF3. I don't know if that is true or what catalyst is but thats what other people recommended.

Tom :) 
m
0
l
November 1, 2012 8:23:17 PM

With the latest drivers, HD7970 is quite close, to GTX670, in BF3, until the next driver update, from nVidia. That's just a "fact of life". Thing is, as it's cheaper, the GTX670 can be better VALUE, for those specific games. It's nothing to worry about, as HD7970 is the better performer, overall. It's performance is only marginally short in BF3, so there's no need to take "special measures".
m
0
l
November 1, 2012 9:53:31 PM

malbluff said:
With the latest drivers, HD7970 is quite close, to GTX670, in BF3, until the next driver update, from nVidia. That's just a "fact of life". Thing is, as it's cheaper, the GTX670 can be better VALUE, for those specific games. It's nothing to worry about, as HD7970 is the better performer, overall. It's performance is only marginally short in BF3, so there's no need to take "special measures".


Yea so there is little difference? If I was going to crossfire, would I have to use the same card? Or could I use a cheaper one? Say the 7870 or even one of the lower models?

Tom
m
0
l
November 1, 2012 9:55:10 PM

malbluff said:
With the latest drivers, HD7970 is quite close, to GTX670, in BF3, until the next driver update, from nVidia. That's just a "fact of life". Thing is, as it's cheaper, the GTX670 can be better VALUE, for those specific games. It's nothing to worry about, as HD7970 is the better performer, overall. It's performance is only marginally short in BF3, so there's no need to take "special measures".


Yea so there is little difference? If I was going to crossfire, would I have to use the same card? Or could I use a cheaper one? Say the 7870 or even one of the lower models?

Tom
m
0
l
November 1, 2012 10:00:53 PM

malbluff said:
With the latest drivers, HD7970 is quite close, to GTX670, in BF3, until the next driver update, from nVidia. That's just a "fact of life". Thing is, as it's cheaper, the GTX670 can be better VALUE, for those specific games. It's nothing to worry about, as HD7970 is the better performer, overall. It's performance is only marginally short in BF3, so there's no need to take "special measures".


Yea so there is little difference? If I was going to crossfire, would I have to use the same card? Or could I use a cheaper one? Say the 7870 or even one of the lower models?

Tom
m
0
l
November 1, 2012 10:01:30 PM

You need the same cards. To be honest, crossfire is rarely the best solution. The possible exception is if going from single monitor, to three, for eyefinity.
m
0
l
November 2, 2012 3:55:26 AM

malbluff said:
You need the same cards. To be honest, crossfire is rarely the best solution. The possible exception is if going from single monitor, to three, for eyefinity.


Well I was actuallt thinking dual monitors, but three could also work :) 
m
0
l
November 2, 2012 9:23:54 AM

Teacake96 said:
Well I was actuallt thinking dual monitors, but three could also work :) 

Crossfire is the use of two (or more) AMD graphics cards, linked together, to share graphic duty. It's rarely a good idea, for an intial design, but ADDING a 2nd graphics card CAN be a way to increase the performance of an existing system, though it's not without its drawbacks.
If you wish to use multiple monitors, that's a different consideration. If you want a 2nd monitor, as an auxilliary (for multi-tasking), all modern graphics cards are capable of that. Provided only one monitor is used for gaming, the other for say browsing, that 2nd monitor doesn't put a lot of demand, on the graphics card. If, however, you want to use multiple monitors, for split-screen gaming (eyefinity), then you need to take the total resolution, into account, for graphics card requirements. For that, two monitors aren't very good, because your natural eye-line is between monitors. Three monitors are much better, for split-screen gaming, with one central, and two as "wings".
m
0
l
November 2, 2012 9:52:50 AM

^Why do you use so many commas? It's really weird.

I'd also disagree it's rarely a good idea as an initial design. On the contrary, I think it's rarely a good idea as an upgrade path -- I only recommend crossfire if you're going to use the power from day 1. Usually that means multimonitor or 1600p resolutions. After all, chances are in two years when you're looking at an upgrade, your best choice is going to be a new card of the newest generation instead of crossfiring two older ones.
m
0
l
November 2, 2012 10:49:21 PM

malbluff said:
Crossfire is the use of two (or more) AMD graphics cards, linked together, to share graphic duty. It's rarely a good idea, for an intial design, but ADDING a 2nd graphics card CAN be a way to increase the performance of an existing system, though it's not without its drawbacks.
If you wish to use multiple monitors, that's a different consideration. If you want a 2nd monitor, as an auxilliary (for multi-tasking), all modern graphics cards are capable of that. Provided only one monitor is used for gaming, the other for say browsing, that 2nd monitor doesn't put a lot of demand, on the graphics card. If, however, you want to use multiple monitors, for split-screen gaming (eyefinity), then you need to take the total resolution, into account, for graphics card requirements. For that, two monitors aren't very good, because your natural eye-line is between monitors. Three monitors are much better, for split-screen gaming, with one central, and two as "wings".


I will get 3 monitors then. Any good quality cheap ones you would recommend? Say 24 inch and above. I was originally looking at 2 27 inch ones.

Quote:
If you want a 2nd monitor, as an auxilliary (for multi-tasking), all modern graphics cards are capable of that. Provided only one monitor is used for gaming, the other for say browsing, that 2nd monitor doesn't put a lot of demand, on the graphics card.


By this do you mean you can have one montior displaying your game in full screen and I can play it by watching that screen, and on the other screen I can do something else? Like use the internet?

Thanks,
Tom
m
0
l
November 2, 2012 10:50:30 PM

FinneousPJ said:
^Why do you use so many commas? It's really weird.

I'd also disagree it's rarely a good idea as an initial design. On the contrary, I think it's rarely a good idea as an upgrade path -- I only recommend crossfire if you're going to use the power from day 1. Usually that means multimonitor or 1600p resolutions. After all, chances are in two years when you're looking at an upgrade, your best choice is going to be a new card of the newest generation instead of crossfiring two older ones.


Yea I think I would probably getting a newer card depending how soon I wanted to upgrade :) 
m
0
l
November 2, 2012 11:56:48 PM

Also I have another question, I have decided to change cases and go with the NZXT Guardian 921 RB, but I am not sure about the CPU cooler. Will the CM Hyper 212 Evo fit inside this case without any modifications? The height for CPU coolers in the case are 144.4 mm and 169.4 mm without a fan. Is that the fan off the the cooler on the side of it?How will that affect the temperatures?
Cheers,
Tom
m
0
l
November 3, 2012 12:07:14 AM

It's not a problem. The 212Evo fits in a case 20mm narrower (just).
m
0
l
November 3, 2012 1:52:04 AM

malbluff said:
It's not a problem. The 212Evo fits in a case 20mm narrower (just).

What does taking the fan off do though? Anything good or bad?
m
0
l
November 13, 2012 10:19:16 PM

Taking off the fan would probably cause a bit of negative pressure. If you have more fans sucking than blowing then air wants to rush in, which basically causes more dust. You want to strive for equal pressure, and considering the 212 Evo will fit in that case, you gain nothing by removing the fan.
m
0
l
November 14, 2012 2:46:47 AM

Dupontrocks11 said:
Taking off the fan would probably cause a bit of negative pressure. If you have more fans sucking than blowing then air wants to rush in, which basically causes more dust. You want to strive for equal pressure, and considering the 212 Evo will fit in that case, you gain nothing by removing the fan.


Ah, thank you :) 
I have changed my build slightly now anyway to all those concerned :) 

CPU: i5 3570k
CPU Cooler: Noctua DH14 ( I want to be able to overclock the CPU a decent amount)
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3Gb OC Edition
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 2TB
SSD: Sandisk 120GB
Motherboard: Asrock Z77 extreme4
Memory: Corsair 8Gb (2x4gb) DDR3 1600 low profile
PSU: 100% Modular Silverstone Strider Plus 850w
Optical Drive: LG 24x DVD-RW Drive
Case: Not sure but something that will fit the DH14 and 7970 and have good airflow and looks :) 
OS: Windows Home Professional 64 bit.

I might go the aerocool black hawk, the cooler master storm scout or the sharkoon Tauron. Any suggestions on which?
m
0
l
December 9, 2012 7:01:57 PM

Well I have a Cooler Master HAF 932 which is fantastic, but I've also heard good things about the NZXT switch 810 and the Fractal Design Define R4. Other than that everything looks great! If you haven't already purchased it, I would recommend the Vertex 4 128GB SSD. The IOPS on that thing is freaking rediculous!
m
0
l
!