Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Gtx 590 bottleneck

Tags:
  • Nvidia
  • Bottleneck
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics Cards
September 4, 2012 3:53:11 AM

Hi guys,
Recently I've just started playing Guild Wars 2.
But I'm having a major issue with my graphics.
May it be lowest or highest resolution, my FPS is stuck at 31 and it will never go higher, only lower.
Can anyone advise me what could be the issue?
P.S: I have the latest drivers installed too.

The following are my system's specs;

Intel i7-2600K
GTX 590 3GB

If there's any other information that's needed, I'll gladly post it.

Any help would really be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!


-Crystal

More about : gtx 590 bottleneck

a b Î Nvidia
September 4, 2012 4:54:22 AM

SLI and Crossfire currently do not work with GW2. From what I have heard, SLI scaling is actually negative
m
0
l
September 4, 2012 9:42:33 AM

Mine is just a single card with 3GB.

SLI = 2 cards right?

Correct me if I'm wrong because I'm not very good with hardwares..
m
0
l
Related resources
September 4, 2012 9:52:34 AM

no you acctually have a sli card (two gpus on one card) but my 2X480s rock with all set to max and 32 aa 16 af and im getting 60 + on gw2 so i would check your nvidia settings and such. You definatly should be gettiong more then 30 fps....
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
September 4, 2012 4:47:55 PM

celinederella said:
Mine is just a single card with 3GB.

SLI = 2 cards right?

Correct me if I'm wrong because I'm not very good with hardwares..


Nope, you actually have two GPUs. The 590/690 and other dual GPU systems are actually two graphics cards sandwiched together that share a common power assembly. The PCIe slot is connected to a PCIe bus multiplexer which is then attached to each of the two GPUs on your board. Thus, those style boards are like Siamese twins. When they say that the board has 3GiB of SGRAM they really mean to say that it has 2 x 1536MiB, 1536MiB for each GPU. It does not have 3GiB usable by one GPU like the 7970 does.
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
September 4, 2012 5:11:06 PM

What power supply are you using? The CPU you have will not bottleneck any setup right now.
m
0
l
September 5, 2012 4:45:39 AM

Pinhedd said:
Nope, you actually have two GPUs. The 590/690 and other dual GPU systems are actually two graphics cards sandwiched together that share a common power assembly. The PCIe slot is connected to a PCIe bus multiplexer which is then attached to each of the two GPUs on your board. Thus, those style boards are like Siamese twins. When they say that the board has 3GiB of SGRAM they really mean to say that it has 2 x 1536MiB, 1536MiB for each GPU. It does not have 3GiB usable by one GPU like the 7970 does.


Thank you for your explanation but does that mean that it's not able to work in such high end games?
I'm really bad at such things but when I built this PC there was no 7970 yet.
Or maybe I've just missed that out by accident -_-
m
0
l
September 5, 2012 4:46:41 AM

Deemo13 said:
What power supply are you using? The CPU you have will not bottleneck any setup right now.


I think it's 750PSU.
I remember asking for a bigger PSU but the guy in the shop said that it's not needed etc etc. :/ 
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
September 5, 2012 4:49:55 AM

celinederella said:
Thank you for your explanation but does that mean that it's not able to work in such high end games?
I'm really bad at such things but when I built this PC there was no 7970 yet.
Or maybe I've just missed that out by accident -_-


It definitely will work in most games, but if the game doesn't natively support Alternate Frame Rendering (the method most commonly used for SLI and Crossfire) out of the box then NVidia and AMD have to work around it at the driver level. Sometimes this can take a few weeks and as of right now neither is working for Guild Wars 2, although AMD has claimed the lead in testing :p 
m
0
l
September 5, 2012 4:57:54 AM

Pinhedd said:
It definitely will work in most games, but if the game doesn't natively support Alternate Frame Rendering (the method most commonly used for SLI and Crossfire) out of the box then NVidia and AMD have to work around it at the driver level. Sometimes this can take a few weeks and as of right now neither is working for Guild Wars 2, although AMD has claimed the lead in testing :p 


But isn't getting only 31 FPS a bit too ridiculous?
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
September 5, 2012 5:16:54 AM

Well, GW2 does not have SLI/Crossfire support yet I dont think. I would wait a bit before changing out your 590.
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
September 5, 2012 5:20:16 AM

celinederella said:
But isn't getting only 31 FPS a bit too ridiculous?


Not really. It chugs quite a bit on my 7970s right now. Part of it is due to the massive influx of players, so most reviewers who had early access posted more idealized benchmarks.

Additionally, I've heard that the SLI scaling is negative, which means that having SLI enabled in Guild Wars 2 will actually decrease your framerate. Try disabling SLI in the NVidia control panel and see if that helps.
m
0
l
September 7, 2012 7:38:04 AM

Pinhedd said:
Not really. It chugs quite a bit on my 7970s right now. Part of it is due to the massive influx of players, so most reviewers who had early access posted more idealized benchmarks.

Additionally, I've heard that the SLI scaling is negative, which means that having SLI enabled in Guild Wars 2 will actually decrease your framerate. Try disabling SLI in the NVidia control panel and see if that helps.


Sorry for late reply as I've been really busy.
How do I disable SLI?
And may I know what's your FPS in GW2?
It really kinda broke my heart to see that I'm lagging on my desktop.
And my AW laptop is better then my desktop -_- Seriously?
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
September 7, 2012 11:54:14 AM

celinederella said:
Sorry for late reply as I've been really busy.
How do I disable SLI?
And may I know what's your FPS in GW2?
It really kinda broke my heart to see that I'm lagging on my desktop.
And my AW laptop is better then my desktop -_- Seriously?


You can disable SLI in the NVidia Control panel. I haven't used SLI since 2008 so unfortunately I can't tell you exactly where. The reason it's probably capping out at 30-31 FPS is because its dropping every other frame due to a lack of SLI support. Once you get one of the GPUs disabled it should shoot back up, but don't forget to reenable it later on! I also have an AW laptop :) 
m
0
l