Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading my graphic card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 4, 2012 4:04:46 AM

Hello, I was looking on how to get my computer to be able to play games with less lag and many people told me to upgrade my graphic card. Problem now is, I don't know what kind to get.

My specs are,
Graphic Card: Nvidia GeForce 8600GT
Ram: 4096
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @2.4ghz

My budget is up to 250$.
If there is a good one just a little above my budget, please mention it.
Thank You!

More about : upgrading graphic card

a b U Graphics card
September 4, 2012 6:04:22 AM

Your CPU will bottleneck any new GPU, even if you OC it. You should consider a new system.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
September 4, 2012 6:10:14 AM

Smeg45 said:
Your CPU will bottleneck any new GPU, even if you OC it. You should consider a new system.

That is probably true, but he could install the new GPU and transfer it over, when he's got more $ to build a newer system.

I'm curious at what PSU you have? The newer GPU's consume less power than the older GPU's, but knowing what PSU you currently have can change any recommendations.

+1 for GTX 560 Ti or AMD 7850.
a b U Graphics card
September 4, 2012 6:54:07 AM

lunyone said:
That is probably true, but he could install the new GPU and transfer it over, when he's got more $ to build a newer system.

I'm curious at what PSU you have? The newer GPU's consume less power than the older GPU's, but knowing what PSU you currently have can change any recommendations.

+1 for GTX 560 Ti or AMD 7850.

True but if the OP purchases a 7850 he wouldn't be using it to its full potential which sort off defeats the point of making that kind of purchase.
a b U Graphics card
September 4, 2012 7:12:00 AM

Smeg45 said:
True but if the OP purchases a 7850 he wouldn't be using it to its full potential which sort off defeats the point of making that kind of purchase.

This is true, but the OP could always OC the q6600 w/the 7850 and get more FPS out of his system (assuming he hasn't already OC'd the q6600). My point is that if the OP wanted to buy the 560 Ti or 7850, he could use it (not to it's full potential) and then transfer it to a newer system later down the road. Yes he could save some $ now and just spend ~$150 on a 6850 or something like that and use the $100 later to upgrade his system. Now the 6850 will be less of an upgrade to the newer system, but that would be up to the OP. I know Tom's did an article on minimum CPU's needed to get the most out of some GPU's, but I can't find it at the moment.
a c 91 U Graphics card
September 4, 2012 7:36:59 AM

monitor and resolution and are you going to upgrade it any time soon/and to what if so ? & power supply specs.
a b U Graphics card
September 4, 2012 7:44:50 AM

in any case 7850 seems to be your best bet.
September 5, 2012 1:28:05 AM

I probably don't have enough cash for a full system upgrade so I was just trying to do piece by piece until its all upgraded.
a b U Graphics card
September 5, 2012 2:48:10 AM

brokkenleg said:
I probably don't have enough cash for a full system upgrade so I was just trying to do piece by piece until its all upgraded.

I would buy the best GPU you can afford and then OC the CPU to get maximum FPS. You will probably need to upgrade your CPU HSF if you OC quite a bit, but you should be able to OC to 2.8-3.0 without too much troubles. Of coarse you will need to have a quality PSU to OC much.

What PSU do you have in the system?
!