Budget test lab server

clearwaterms

Honorable
Oct 31, 2012
I am looking to build a workstation that will support run a Microsoft Hyper-V lab.

This machine should be able to spin up and run 3 servers plus the base OS (in a test lab so no production users) and a workstation OS. I would like to drive multiple monitors so I can run a desktop and server to test and "play" with the different tools, etc.

The only "production" stuff I plan to use this machine for is to backup data from my work laptop which has a 256GB SSD.

I am on a fairly tight budget and would like to keep the build under $400 but am willing to go up to $500 if I can justify the spend. I would like something that has capacity to upgrade (enough power supply to run multiple drives) the ability to add memory as needed (4 memory slots) etc. I do not need a keyboard, mouse, or DVD drive)

Here is what I looking for, please provide some suggestions on MB, memory, processor, case and powersupply. Also, if a video card is required that would be helpful as well.

quad core (thinking AMD since I think cores are more important than speed of each core)
16GB of memory (the servers I will be running are exchange, Lync, AD, etc.)
SATA 6GB

Which AMD processor should I Look at, the A-X series? FX quad core, spring for the new 8 core? How big of a power supply do i need? I would like to purchase everything at one vendor so links to Newegg would be awesome.

Thank you in advance for the suggestions.

Klucksta

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012

Hey dude,

did you find any solution?

clearwaterms

Honorable
Oct 31, 2012
I did. It is working.

i ended up with a AMD FX-8120 8 core processor on an ASrock motherboard with 16GB of Corsair memory. I paired it with a super budget case and a 460w power supply.

For the drivers I am using a OCZ 64GB SATA for my OS and a 1.5TB Seagate 64MB cache sata III drive as the data drive that stores my VM's, snapshots and ISO files for testing my different software pieces. So far I have 2DC's, 2 Exchange servers, a windows 8 test workstation and a windows core Server all running on it without too much problem. Granted I have only 1 exchange user and I am SUPER skimpy on ram having them all boot with 4gb but running dynamic memory so most of them idle around 600MB. The exchange boxes are the largest performance hit.

I don't know what the total computer came out to. I purchased it from newegg and also bought a few extra pieces for another computer (hard disk drive so my lab could have a spare box) a new switch, a printer, 2 23" monitors, speakers, etc. and it was pennies under $1000.

The processor was $150
the MB was $65
the memory was $65~$70
disk drives were $90 and $65
power supply $55
case $30
video card (ASrock didn't have an onboard) $25

I am certain i went over my budget but if i would have used a single 1.5TB drive I would have likely stayed right around the $500 limit.

The host OS is windows server 2012.