Please Help 6 Month Old Build.

emoney123

Honorable
Mar 23, 2012
Hello everyone!

I get home today after being out all night and i go to turn on my computer, No screen image. I check the cables they are all good. But no fans are on! i look inside my computer and the CPU fan is off, the case fans are off, and the graphic card fan IS on. The hard drives are spinning. I cant even post, no beeps. Did my motherboard fail or my power supply? Also i cant turn off my computer from the power button on the case i have to un plug it but i CAN turn it on from the button.

flexxar

Honorable
Oct 6, 2012
It sounds like a failing motherboard due to it receiving power, but not posting. It could also be that your power supply failed which caused your motherboard to fail. The cheapest thing I would try would be to remove all connections out of the motherboard except graphics card (if you have onboard graphics, use that) and see if it will post. If it won't, then you have do decide what to try next. Your most likely problem is probably your most expensive to fix which is replace motherboard. You coult try to test/replace the power supply, but it's not as likely.

ram1009

Distinguished
Any one (or more) of several components may have failed. Outside of a laboratory, there's only one way to diagnose this and that is to replace suspect components one at a time until the problem is located. I would start with the PSU. People often ask why *new* builds fail. The failure profile for electronic components (resistors, capacitors, transistors, etc.) is that a small percentage will fail soon after first use. This phenomenon is usually referred to as "infant mortality". The rest will last nearly forever but their performance specs will degrade with time based upon how much stress they endure. Luckily for us geeks the components usually outlive the technology.