Vampire - Giovanni versus Cappadochians

Last response: in Video Games
May 15, 2004 4:59:55 AM

Hi,

I was wondering if someone could give me a brief summary of what happened
when the giovanni came to be, and how they defeated the cappadocians. And
when did this happen?

Thank you for any answers.

Best regards

Henrik
Anonymous
May 16, 2004 1:34:12 AM

"Henrik Ertzeid" <hert@broadpark.no> wrote in message news:<40a55198$1@news.broadpark.no>...
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if someone could give me a brief summary of what happened
> when the giovanni came to be, and how they defeated the cappadocians. And
> when did this happen?

As I recall, the Giovanni were a family of servants/ghouls to the
Cappodocians, who used them as guinea pigs in their experiments to
determine the true nature of death. The resulting Bloodline got the
upper hand and banished their creators to the Underworld. Not sure if
this was before Augustus Giovanni became an Antediluvian, but I think
all this is supposed to have happened around the 15th century...

So, where did the Samedi come from?

> Thank you for any answers.

Neechevo, tovarisch!^^

Dex
Anonymous
May 16, 2004 7:17:05 PM

Henrik Ertzeid wrote:
> I was wondering if someone could give me a brief summary of what happened
> when the giovanni came to be, and how they defeated the cappadocians. And
> when did this happen?

In the year 1005, Augustus Giovanni was embraced by Cappadocius/Ashur,
because C. liked his degenerate interest for Necromancy. After this,
Augustus embraced the best (or worst) part of his family and ghouled
many others.
I don't know exactly what happend, but the Lamia, the fighter/guardian
bloodline of the Cappadocians, never liked the Giovanni and considered
Augustus' Embrace a big mistake.
Some time later, I believe, Ashur called all Cappadocians to him in the
underground city of Kaymakli and asked them some questions. Whoever
followed the Via Caeli/Road of Heaven, helped build a temple, was
literate or interrested in the Great Riddle of Death was allowed to
leave, the rest (several thousand vampires) were locked in. Ashur placed
a curse on the cave's only exit, allowing no son of Caine to leave and
no son of Seth to enter. This was called the Feast of Folly.
Some Cappadocians, led by Lazarus managed to escape to the lands of the
dead to reemerge some centuries later as the Harbingers of Skulls.
In 1444, Augustus diablerised Ashur and his gurdian Lamia (as in the
first of the bloodline) in the so called Conspiracy of Isaac.
Afterwards, the Giovanni hunted down the Cappadocians like every good
diablerist clan does.

HTH,
Daniel
--

my homepage : http://hd42.de

'Life is wasted on the living' - Zaphod Beeblebrox the Fourth
Anonymous
May 18, 2004 5:51:12 AM

Not entirely correct. The Feast of Folly was held before Augustus Giovanni
was embraced. And even though so many of the Cappadocians was killed during
the Feast, many must have remained. Surely more than the single Giovanni
family. And surely many who were much older and far mor powerful. How did
the Giovanny wrestle the power for themselves?

Thanks in advance for any questions.

Henrik

"Daniel Hohenberger" <nagash@hd42.de> wrote in message
> Henrik Ertzeid wrote:
> > I was wondering if someone could give me a brief summary of what
happened
> > when the giovanni came to be, and how they defeated the cappadocians.
And
> > when did this happen?
>
> In the year 1005, Augustus Giovanni was embraced by Cappadocius/Ashur,
> because C. liked his degenerate interest for Necromancy. After this,
> Augustus embraced the best (or worst) part of his family and ghouled
> many others.
> I don't know exactly what happend, but the Lamia, the fighter/guardian
> bloodline of the Cappadocians, never liked the Giovanni and considered
> Augustus' Embrace a big mistake.
> Some time later, I believe, Ashur called all Cappadocians to him in the
> underground city of Kaymakli and asked them some questions. Whoever
> followed the Via Caeli/Road of Heaven, helped build a temple, was
> literate or interrested in the Great Riddle of Death was allowed to
> leave, the rest (several thousand vampires) were locked in. Ashur placed
> a curse on the cave's only exit, allowing no son of Caine to leave and
> no son of Seth to enter. This was called the Feast of Folly.
> Some Cappadocians, led by Lazarus managed to escape to the lands of the
> dead to reemerge some centuries later as the Harbingers of Skulls.
> In 1444, Augustus diablerised Ashur and his gurdian Lamia (as in the
> first of the bloodline) in the so called Conspiracy of Isaac.
> Afterwards, the Giovanni hunted down the Cappadocians like every good
> diablerist clan does.
>
> HTH,
> Daniel
> --
>
> my homepage : http://hd42.de
>
> 'Life is wasted on the living' - Zaphod Beeblebrox the Fourth
Anonymous
May 18, 2004 5:51:13 AM

"Henrik Ertzeid" <hert@broadpark.no> wrote in message news:<40a9521d$1@news.broadpark.no>...
> Not entirely correct. The Feast of Folly was held before Augustus Giovanni
> was embraced. And even though so many of the Cappadocians was killed during
> the Feast, many must have remained. Surely more than the single Giovanni
> family. And surely many who were much older and far mor powerful. How did
> the Giovanny wrestle the power for themselves?
>
> Thanks in advance for any questions.

None of the following is canon.

Somebody posted the theory that antes can't die unless they wanted to.
All the ones that have been diablerized allowed it to happen for
various reasons. This would mean that Asshur staged the destruction of
his clan and his diablerie and, of course, has the skill and ability
to make sure it comes off without a hitch. IIRC, this was all supposed
to be his plan to trancend death.

The material I came up with for my own chronicle way back before there
ever was such a thing as clanbooks, was that Augustus was aided by
allies. These allies were his ancestors who aided him from the other
side. While Assur was out exploring the umbra, they made sure that he
was delayed in returning long enough for the Giovanni to decend upon
his defenceless body. Meaning of course that the true power behind the
Giovanni was an even more powerful wraith. The Giovanni then were the
family servants in the living world that knew what was in store for
everybody. After all, how much Memorium would a family of vampires who
remember your life give you in the afterlife for the next thousand
years? How much control could you gain over other wraiths if you had
family that knew Necromancy and could actully walk the lands of the
living to deal with others fetters as they wished? As the Giovanni
(mortal and kindred) shuffled off this mortal coil they were met on
the other side by old family members who were waiting and ready to add
them into the local power structure.

As for the rest of the Capadocians were just really few in number.
Asshur kept only a few around him with maybe a few others who had
escaped over the mellienia. The former were taken care of at the same
time as their master while the latter had long since broken with their
clan. This is why there was little mention of the clan the Giovanni
had diablerized. Of course this was way before there was lots of
material to go against my material and way before the name of Asshur
or Capadician. My original idea was that the clan they had diablerized
were the Baali.
Anonymous
May 21, 2004 7:35:38 PM

<snip explanation of Giovanni's origins>

So...in other words, I didn't know what the hell I was talking about.
You'd think I'd be used to that, by now...

Did Ashur allow himself to be devoured, like Saulot? And what's the
story where Augustus goes into Khaymalki? One of the Gehenna scenarios
has the PCs running across him there...tho I forgot why he went in
there.

(In another version of events, Caine can also be found there!)

So...where DID the Samedi come from?

Dex
Anonymous
May 22, 2004 8:55:01 PM

Hand-of-Omega wrote:

> Did Ashur allow himself to be devoured, like Saulot?

Yes. He wanted to become a wraith so he could Transcend, meet God...
and then diablerize him.

He very nearly succeeded, by all accounts.

> And what's the story where Augustus goes into Khaymalki?

Not a clue.

> So...where DID the Samedi come from?

There were a couple Cappacodians who couldn't make it to the Feast of
Folly, and who were then painfully aware that if they had attended, they
wouldn't have been judged worthy. They fled, and much, much later ended
up settling in Haiti as the Samedi. Presumably a bunch of stuff
happened to them in the time between that, but we don't know what it is
and the Baron ain't talkin'.
--
Stephenls
Geek

> So...where DID the Samedi come from?

Haiti, IIRC

;)

-Essex
Anonymous
May 27, 2004 12:19:10 AM

Stephenls <stephenls@shaw.ca> wrote in message news:<2ha7ilFahh5tU1@uni-berlin.de>...
> Hand-of-Omega wrote:
>
> > Did Ashur allow himself to be devoured, like Saulot?
>
> Yes. He wanted to become a wraith so he could Transcend, meet God...
> and then diablerize him.
>
> He very nearly succeeded, by all accounts.

As OTT cool as that sounds...I can think of all sorts of reasons why
that wouldn't work (for starters, Wraiths can't diablerize anyone)...

> > So...where DID the Samedi come from?
>
> There were a couple Cappacodians who couldn't make it to the Feast of
> Folly, and who were then painfully aware that if they had attended, they
> wouldn't have been judged worthy. They fled, and much, much later ended
> up settling in Haiti as the Samedi. Presumably a bunch of stuff
> happened to them in the time between that, but we don't know what it is
> and the Baron ain't talkin'.

Thanks. I assume that "bunch of stuff" involves their physical
degeneration...

Dex
Anonymous
May 27, 2004 12:39:21 AM

Hand-of-Omega wrote:

> As OTT cool as that sounds...I can think of all sorts of reasons why
> that wouldn't work (for starters, Wraiths can't diablerize anyone)...

One of the wonderful things about being an Antediluvian is you get to
ignore rules like "You can't be a vampire and a wraith at the same
time," or "You don't get to exist as a ghost after you're diablerized."

> Thanks. I assume that "bunch of stuff" involves their physical
> degeneration...

Well, yeah, although I believe there was a Cappadocian who was beginning
to degenerate physically in the Vampire: The Dark Ages books -- and he
was one of those Feast of Folly survivors. Or something like that; my
knowledge of early V:tDA stuff is sketchy.

I was actually talking more about where they went. They left Europe
before America got colonized by the Europeans, so they couldn't have
gone to Haiti straight away -- there was no Haiti back then. Presumably
they went to Africa first and then their descendants travelled to Haiti
with the slave trade. What'd they do in the meantime?
--
Stephenls
Geek
"I'm as impure as the driven yellow snow." -Spike
Anonymous
May 27, 2004 2:47:53 PM

"Stephenls"

> I was actually talking more about where they went. They left Europe
> before America got colonized by the Europeans, so they couldn't have
> gone to Haiti straight away -- there was no Haiti back then. Presumably
> they went to Africa first and then their descendants travelled to Haiti
> with the slave trade. What'd they do in the meantime?

Contribute to Kindred of the Ebony Kingdom?
!