Dual monitor problem - 660 Ti

AlexanderGrey

Honorable
Sep 4, 2012
I recently upgraded my 560 Ti (Which I was using two monitors on without any problems) to a 660 Ti.
Immediately I noticed that the two sockets at the back of the 660 Ti were different, one is a DVI-I and the other is a DVI-D. The first monitor, which is plugged into the DVI-I socket works just fine. However, neither of my monitors are HDMI. They're both VGA, so I had to buy a DVI-D to VGA adapter in order to connect my second monitor. That arrived this morning and despite all of my efforts, I have been unable to get my second monitor to work. My PC registers it is there and I can drag things over to that monitor, but the monitor just remains in stand by with a blank screen.

I am not going to rule out the possibility that I am just being a moron and missing out some key element here, but I really can't figure out why it is not working.

All my drivers are up to date. I have tried swapping the plugs around and it is always the DVI-D connected monitor that doesn't work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not sure why they make DVI-D to VGA adaptors, because they are useless. DVI-D signal cannot be made into VGA signal because there's no analog signal coming out from DVI-D slot, meanwhile DVI-I carries both digital and analog. What you're trying to do requires a signal converter.

You have few options.

1. You may use your motherboard output to hook up second monitor.
2. If your power supply unit is strong enough, you can leave GTX 560 Ti inside your PC for second monitor.
3. You can buy a converter (though, they start at $40).
4. You can buy a cheap discrete card that doesn't consume much power (like 8400 GS) for the sole purpose of having a second VGA monitor.

AlexanderGrey

Honorable
Sep 4, 2012

Well, atleast I now understand the issue.
My first option, using my motherboard output to hook up a second monitor, how would I go about doing that?
Of the options, that sounds the most reasonable.

AlexanderGrey

Honorable
Sep 4, 2012
I've plugged in an older graphics card and hooked up my second monitor to that and it's working.
It's not an ideal solution but it'll do until I can justify upgrading to a HMDI monitor to make use of that DVI-D on my 660 Ti.

Thank you very much, you've been a great help.