Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Can the amd radeon™ hd 6670 graphics be used on core i3 desktops?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 4, 2012 1:45:20 PM

Can somebody help me in telling if I can use the amd radeon hd 6670 on core i3 computers.

My computer's processor runs at 3.10 ghz

It has an intel motherboard

Best solution

September 4, 2012 1:52:02 PM

as long as the motherboard allows it, it's got to be able to handle PCIe 2.0 x 16 to get the correct performance. i3 should be able to handle even an ultra high performance card. It might bottleneck, but i'm pretty positive that it will handle it. That kind of stuff is more reliant on the Motherboard and PSU, with a small consuming CPU like that, a 500W PSU should do it.
September 4, 2012 2:10:24 PM

Will it support the hd 6670 2gb one?
Score
Related resources
September 4, 2012 2:31:43 PM

oh yes.. why not?? it'll definitely run as mafisometal said
Score
September 4, 2012 2:32:46 PM

Please don't listen to mafisometal.

First of all, it will not bottleneck. It would hardly bottleneck cards like GTX 580.

Secondly, he doesn't need 500 watt unit for his setup. 250 watt will be plenty.

As for going with HD 6670: could you list your motherboard model and size of your case (height, width and length)? You know, the card might be too big if you have a small case (in which case I'll recommend a card that will fit) or your motherboard may not have a slot that fits.
Score
September 4, 2012 3:39:45 PM

Sure, My motherboard no is DH61WW intel motherboard and the lenght, Breadth and height are 21.0x10.0x9.5
Score
a b À AMD
September 4, 2012 4:03:57 PM

sumsulk said:
Can somebody help me in telling if I can use the amd radeon hd 6670 on core i3 computers.

My computer's processor runs at 3.10 ghz

It has an intel motherboard

No problem with mixing a amd graphics card and an intel motherboard.
The first requirement is to have a pci-e X16 graphics card slot, which you do.

Unless your power supply is a very cheap one of 250w or less, you should be able to use any graphics card that does not need an auxiliary 6-pin pci-e power connector from the psu.
Such cards are not overly long. Your case is sufficiently large to hold a 6670.

The strongest card that a psu w/o a 6 pin connector can power would be the 7750.
Score
September 4, 2012 4:24:18 PM

21.0x10.0x9.5

That's inches I hope? It will fit without any problem if it is.
Score
a b À AMD
September 4, 2012 5:38:01 PM

AMD cards are compatible with Intel processors. You should have no problem unless as Sunius stated the card does not fit or your power supply is not enough.
Score
September 5, 2012 12:20:38 PM

Best answer selected by sumsulk.
Score
September 6, 2012 7:24:07 AM

Sunius said:
Please don't listen to mafisometal.

First of all, it will not bottleneck. It would hardly bottleneck cards like GTX 580.

Secondly, he doesn't need 500 watt unit for his setup. 250 watt will be plenty.

As for going with HD 6670: could you list your motherboard model and size of your case (height, width and length)? You know, the card might be too big if you have a small case (in which case I'll recommend a card that will fit) or your motherboard may not have a slot that fits.

A lot of motherboards can bottleneck because of simple build quality...all i was pointing out was that the PCI controller strings are connected to the i3 processor...The i3 gives the direction and the PCI slot will receive and send a feedback to the CPU...thats where the controller works from, it will re-inerpret the pixel count back to the GPU and which the CPU will render out what's been told. So an i3 chip can bottleneck higher performance cards. the i3 has a higher latency controller than the i5 and i7. BUT its not drastic where its insanely noticeable.

Anyways, 500W PSU is just for safe measure, sometimes Power Supplies don't give as they state, most PSU will only give back 80% power that is stated on the specs. I.E. 500W Theoretical, 400W Realistic. This means the 250W PSU would most likely limit at 175W and then anything past that will stress the PSU and shorten its lifespan. Count up the power consumption by the processor(70W), HDD/SDD (25W TDP), Disc Drive (10-20W), Graphics Card (25W-70W on a passive Graphics Card, if you run anything with the need of a 6 or 8 pin connector then we go to 100W+).
Score
a b À AMD
September 6, 2012 7:52:38 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!