Sign in with
Your question

VGA Port out, new Video Card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 4, 2012 5:03:56 PM

Taking a stab in the dark here. Background - I received a blue screen with an error that appeared to be related to McAfee (mfehidk.sys showed up in the blue screen) with a note about disk space. Prior to flashing the blue screen, my computer froze up while streaming a video and played like a stuck record on the same tone, with a frozen screen, over and over again until I forced the computer off. I was unable to boot up windows when I restarted. However, I was briefly able to boot up Ubuntu, which worked for a few minutes until it froze up also.

After restarting and receiving the blue screen, I decided to run the hardware diagnostic test on start up. It failed the memory test, but nothing else. So, I determined to pull the memory sticks one at a time to determine which one was bad and replace it. Upon pulling the first stick and booting up, the VGA port no longer worked. This was my only video port. I tried replacing the second memory stick and restarting to no avail, still no display.

I purchased a new video card for my PCI express x16 slot and tried booting up. No luck on any getting anything to display (DVI, HDMI, VGA on video card).

Any suggestions on booting up 'blind' and uninstalling the VGA driver in safe mode? I'm going try purchasing a USB VGA port to see if that will work without having the benefit of uninstalling the drivers on a booted machine. Or any thoughts as to wiping the HDD and starting from scratch - would this possibly get the video card recognized as the primary display?

My machine is an HP Slimline, Vista/Ubuntu dual boot (Windows selected as default for startup purposes).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bd0winrtr5plejf/blue%20screen...

More about : vga port video card

September 4, 2012 5:04:00 PM

Other specs, sorry forgot to include: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01...

Form factor: Custom - 19.05 cm (7.5 inches) x 17.27 cm (6.8 inches)
Chipset: GeForce 7100/nForce 630i
Memory sockets: 2 x DDR2
Front side bus speeds: 800/1066/1333 MHz
Processor socket: 775
Expansion Slots:
1 PCI Express x16 graphics slot
1 PCI Express x1

Operating speed: Up to 2.2 GHz
Number of cores: 2
Socket: 775
Bus speed: 800 MHz

single channel memory architecture
Two 240-pin DDR2 DIMM sockets
Supported DIMM types:
PC2-4200 (533 MHz)
PC2-5300 (667 MHz)
PC2-6400 (800 MHz)
Non-ECC memory only, unbuffered
Supports 2GB DDR2 DIMMs
Supports up to 4 GB* on 32 bit PCs (using two 2 GB DIMMs)

*Integrated video is not available if a graphics card is installed.
Integrated graphics using GeForce 7100
One VGA port on backplate
Also supports PCI Express x16 graphics cards
m
l
a c 103 U Graphics card
September 4, 2012 5:42:08 PM

not 100% clear on what the problem is here hopefully you can clarify but can you boot into the BIOS no problem? but not windows right? if thats the case just boot into safemode.....press f8 or f9 at startup and choose safemode then you can go in and delete the drivers from windows....if thats even your issue...once you do that you can try booting into regular windows
m
l
Related resources
September 4, 2012 5:54:31 PM

I believe that I can boot into the BIOS, but I cannot see anything. I was able to get into Safe Mode before the VGA port broke ... I'm sure I could still get in, it's just that I can't see anything ...

Make sense?
m
l
a c 103 U Graphics card
September 4, 2012 7:42:18 PM

yea that seems like you have a dead video card. if you cant see anything even the BIOS then it is def not a software issue it is a hardware issue...you said you bought a new video card and the problem didnt go away? then that makes me believe that it is something else like the motherboard or cpu that could be causing this problem
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 4, 2012 7:51:52 PM

if your onboard video is dead, you should get a new MB, not a new video card- who knows what's gonna go next
m
l
a c 103 U Graphics card
September 4, 2012 8:00:11 PM

yea i am still confused lol is the onboard video (if he has any) working or is that dead too? if that is dead and the new card doesnt work either then it sounds like a dead motherboard and maybe the video card is ok
m
l
a c 291 U Graphics card
September 4, 2012 8:07:50 PM

I'm pretty sure the motherboard is dying. Firstly, failed RAM test (which could indicate faulty sticks or slots), now the video.
m
l
September 4, 2012 8:36:20 PM

drums101 said:
yea i am still confused lol is the onboard video (if he has any) working or is that dead too? if that is dead and the new card doesnt work either then it sounds like a dead motherboard and maybe the video card is ok

There was onboard video, but seems to be broken to me since I get no video output. Can't tell what is going on past the power coming on and machine humming. Have tried to hit some keys but can't see (or rather, hear!) that it progresses anything. Seems to me that the new video card would work without having to install any drivers, but if there is a problem with the motherboard then I could see it not working. A few weeks ago the ethernet port on the motherboard went out and I replaced it with a pci express port ...

It may very well be that the motherboard is dying one piece at a time. Hate to abandon this computer, but I guess I better quit while I'm only slightly behind for the cost of a video card. And I can probably take it back to Micro Center pretty easily.

Thank you for your help and thoughts.
m
l
a c 103 U Graphics card
September 4, 2012 9:33:40 PM

yea I would def say its the motherboard that is the issue...you could try and replace that if you wanted to. but that could just be sinking money into an older machine
m
l
!