Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Radeon
  • Nvidia
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 4, 2012 5:26:06 PM

Hi all,

I'm looking to build a new computer soon, contingent on when the next wave of GPUs. I know GTX 680 lineup was released back in March or so, and Radeon 7980 before that.

So I guess the question is, has anyone heard (or can speculate) if there are any new series coming out within the next few months?

More about : potential news nvidia radeon high end cards release

a c 198 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
September 4, 2012 5:26:55 PM

If you keep waiting for the new series, you're going to be waiting forever. Yet, the latest have just come out, so there's probably about a year before the next ones come out.
m
l
September 4, 2012 5:32:12 PM

Oh i understand that logic perfectly well, but knowing that the latest "high end" came out in march, makes me kind of want to wait since my system still is pretty decent. Had the lineup come out in say July, i wouldn't even hesitate :p .
m
l
Related resources
a c 198 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
September 4, 2012 5:35:59 PM

How decent is decent? I consider my GTX460 to be decent, even though it is 3 generations old now.

What's your full system specifications? (I love to hear people's specs).

I don't think the new cards are going to come out for awhile. Probably around next March.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 4, 2012 6:01:59 PM

kallell said:
Hi all,

I'm looking to build a new computer soon, contingent on when the next wave of GPUs. I know GTX 680 lineup was released back in March or so, and Radeon 7980 before that.

So I guess the question is, has anyone heard (or can speculate) if there are any new series coming out within the next few months?

Within the next few months? More than likely No.
Again no one knows, but you have to consider that the Radeon 7990 hasn't come out yet, but that's still this generation.

The next generation for NVIDIA codenamed "Maxwell" was announced in September 2010 and is expected to be released in 2013. Again that could be Q4 2013 for all we know.

Regardless a 680 will do whatever you want for years to come. If you thought like that, you'd never wind up getting a GPU for fear of a better one coming out soon.
m
l
September 4, 2012 6:58:37 PM

Currently:

core i7 - 860 ocd to 3.9 (going to try to push 4 here if i get a free day)

GTX 480, sometimes oc'd

8 gig ddr3 1600. I actually have 16, but the system only recognizes 8; most likely due to some bent pins on the mobo.

120 gig SSD - Intel - not sure exact model anymore, one of the first "newer" models

It's by no means top end, but its by no means low end either. Thing is though, I'm a pretty big gamer (and botter...) so having a up to date is always a pretty big priority for me.
m
l
!