Graphics card advice needed

I was wonder what would be better in performance/cost/heat
1 Radeon HD 7970
2 Radeon HD 7850 in CrossfireX
3 Radeon HD 7770 in Tri-Fire
12 answers Last reply
More about graphics card advice needed
  1. If you have the money for the 7970, you might as well go for that and then Crossfire later.

Yet you are definitely going to need a new power supply for your Dell, as the one in there is not going to run a 7970.
  2. I'm planning on upgrading to at least a 650W but my budget for the graphics card are about 500$ so I don't have enough to crossfire the 7970 and by the time i'll have the extra money for another 7970 the 8xxx series will be out.
  3. I don't think that Dell board will support crossfire.
  4. Spartin503 said:
    I'm planning on upgrading to at least a 650W but my budget for the graphics card are about 500$ so I don't have enough to crossfire the 7970 and by the time i'll have the extra money for another 7970 the 8xxx series will be out.

No need to upgrade every generation. I think a single 7870 would be the most sensible option, especially if you are only pushing a single 1080p monitor. Only the 7900 series officially supports 3-way and 4-way crossfire.

But, of the choices presented, go with the 7970. It's usually better to a single more powerful card vs a pair of cards because of all the technical issues that accompany it; heat, drivers, games that don't utilize it, power consumption, micro-stuttering, etc.
  5. amuffin said:
    I don't think that Dell board will support crossfire.

I'm currently working towards replacing almost everything on my current build the only reason I got the XPS 8500 is because my cousin does reviews on pc parts and he sold it to me pretty cheap. I will be replacing the mobo will a ASUS P8Z77-V LE PLUS. The only thing I will be taking over to my new build is the i7 3770k CPU.
  6. jerm1027 said:
    No need to upgrade every generation. I think a single 7870 would be the most sensible option, especially if you are only pushing a single 1080p monitor. Only the 7900 series officially supports 3-way and 4-way crossfire.

But, of the choices presented, go with the 7970. It's usually better to a single more powerful card vs a pair of cards because of all the technical issues that accompany it; heat, drivers, games that don't utilize it, power consumption, micro-stuttering, etc.

I know there is no need to upgrade every series but I was thinking of getting the 7850 in CF because I will only be doing 1 monitor at 1080 and that will play any game that I want and do everything else that I need and it would be a lot cheaper than the CF 7970's.
  7. Yes, but wouldn't you rather have 1 7970 and then CF it later? And you still need a power supply. If you're just doing one monitor, you don't need more than a 7870 or a 7950.

Why waste money on a new motherboard?
  8. Spartin503 said:
    I'm currently working towards replacing almost everything on my current build the only reason I got the XPS 8500 is because my cousin does reviews on pc parts and he sold it to me pretty cheap. I will be replacing the mobo will a ASUS P8Z77-V LE PLUS. The only thing I will be taking over to my new build is the i7 3770k CPU.

Got anything better? :heink:
  9. I have to move to a new case because the xps case has a irregular psu area which I need to change to get a better GPU and in getting a different case the Dell mobo isn't a ATX board.
  10. amuffin said:
    Got anything better? :heink:

Anything better as in a better mobo?
  11. The Dell mobo is a micro-ATX form factor.

Honestly I think its kind of a waste of money. I also don't think you have the K-version, as Dell doesn't usually put the unlocked versions in their computers.
  12. It is a k because I got my computer right after release and the k was the only one that they had yet (the day of the release).
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon Performance Graphics Cards HD Graphics