At power-on, it gets thru POST, then tests for floppy and CD boot media. After that, it immediately restarts. There are no Windows logo/loading screens.
Vital stats: ICS GF2800A mobo, AMD AM2+, 1 HDS SATA drive, 1 WD IDE (boot drive), XP Home SP3, 2 GB DDR2 RAM (2x1GB sticks) nothing overclocked.
I can F2 into BIOS fine, I can boot from XP install disk successfully.
Not my PC, I'm the one who is trying to fix it. The owner says this starting happening directly after installing a DVD ripping app downloaded from WEB. (cannot remember the name)
So far I have done all the following with no improvement:
- booted off CD to XP repair console and done CHKDSK /r
- booted off CD to XP repair console and done fixmbr
- booted off CD to XP repair console and done fixboot
- BOOT.INI looks fine
- tried alternate PSU
- tried alternate mobo (ASRock N68C-GS FX)
- Tried booting with alternate RAM sticks removed
- slaved drives to another system and run chkdsk and virus check on all drives
- At the same time I loaded up the system event log EVT file and there are NO entries recorded since this started happening
Based on all this, I feel summits up with the boot drive. All partitions are accessible. The boot partition is marked active.
This is most likely a re-format/re-install job now, but any further ideas welcome.