Sign in with
Your question

New computer, network issues :(

Tags:
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
October 19, 2011 10:45:48 PM

Hello, I just bought and put together a new pc.

The motherboard Im using is a GA-Z68AP-D3. I also installed windows 7 professional, 64 bit.

Now the problem is that Im getting no internet connection at all when plugging in the network cable to the normal LAN slot in the motherboard, it keeps trying to identify the network but just ends up saying we have a problem. Im not very familiar with win 7, been using xp up until a couple a weeks ago.

This is what I have done:

I have tried with 2 different cables, thru a router and directly thru the modem (both works on this laptop), so I can be quite sure it is not the cables or the modem.

I have tried with 2 different network cards in the new computer, both of which give the same error. So, there is probably not a hardware problem?

I have installed the drivers from gigabytes homepage, several times, even tried vista drivers, just gave errors.

in the "network and sharing center" there is a graphical interface showing my computer, "unidentified network" and then a red X and the internet.

What could block my internet access? Are there any hidden settings to thinker with? I have nothing else installed, no firewall or anything, I tried to disable windows firewall, no change.

I would be awesomely happy for any advice, or tip or anything, I feel kinda stuck since I tried everything I know.

More about : computer network issues

October 20, 2011 1:53:03 AM

On your laptop can you go into Control Panel, go into Network Connections.
Right click the adapter that is connected to the network and select properties.
Scroll down until you see TCP/IP and double click it.

Is it set to automatically obtain an IP address?
If it is, then you'll need to do the same on your new PC. If it is, then you might be able to get away with assigning an IP manually to your new PC.

On the W7 PC, click start and type Network connections, then press enter. Right click Local Area Connection and go to properties. As above, go to TCP/IPv4 and select Use the following IP address.
Copy the information from your XP machine into here, except for the IP address change the last number. For example, if your XP one says the IP is 192.168.1.2, change the 2 to 3.

If your XP machine has automatically obtained IP address selected, click start --> Run --> cmd then press enter.
In the command prompt window type ipconfig and press enter
Locate Local Area Connection in the text that showed up, and on your Windows 7 computer type in the details listed. Preferred DNS server should be set to the same value as default gateway address. Don't forget to change the last number of the IP to be different.

Phew! Let us know how you go.
October 20, 2011 7:52:45 AM

arael said:

If your XP machine has automatically obtained IP address selected, click start --> Run --> cmd then press enter.
In the command prompt window type ipconfig and press enter
Locate Local Area Connection in the text that showed up, and on your Windows 7 computer type in the details listed. Preferred DNS server should be set to the same value as default gateway address. Don't forget to change the last number of the IP to be different.

Thanks alot, altho it did not work :(  This is my gfs laptop, its running W7 too. But I did pretty much the same thing, Im supposed to get the ip automaticly, but as you said I tried entering it manually, same thing happens as before. On a side note, just before I got this computer I installed W7 on my old desktop, no problem with internet connection.

Im going to try to format and reinstall windows, do it from the start, to see if anything changes.

any other tip would be awsome / thanks
Related resources
October 20, 2011 9:43:55 AM

Go to device manager and see if theres any yellow signs.
NICs must be installed in Windows with the proper driver. Just because Windows loaded a driver from it's database does not mean it is right. Always use the driver provided by the manufacturer.

Right click on the adapter. Do you see a IP adress?
October 20, 2011 2:55:00 PM

I have the correct drivers from gigabytes homepage, the network adapter shows up in device manager as "realtek pcie gbe family controller"

http://www.gigabyte.se/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3...

I have installed them, and uinstalled them, and installed them again. Reinstalled windows and did it all again, same thing turns up, unidentified network, and then the red cross showing that I have no connection to the internet in the network and sharing center.

The only undetected devices in the device manager is the USB controller and video controller. Im guessing its the multicard reader that i dident install drivers for, and Im not using the onboard graphics. I will ofc install those drivers later but atm Im trying to get internet to work.

Im kinda out of solutions myself, since I tried two other pci network cards and the same cables work on two other windows 7 computers I can't see how it could be hardware related.
October 20, 2011 3:45:53 PM

I just set up a homenetwork with the new computer, it had no problem connecting to the laptop to access files and ***. But still no internet on it, still saying "unidentified network and the red cross to the internet icon, the laptop is fine and have stable internet connection. There is obviously no hardware problem with the onboard network card, or the drivers since I can connect to a home network?

Im about to nerdrage!
WHY RU SO MEAN TO ME COMPUTER!!!!11!11!!
October 20, 2011 8:43:44 PM

Did you end up formatting and reinstalling Windows?
October 20, 2011 9:08:36 PM

I have formated and reinstalled windows now, no change. I have reset the cmos, by removing the battery, I have updated bios to latest version, no change.

I thought *** this, it must be windows 7, so installed ubuntu, you know what? Same problem with ubuntu, even with the extra network cards I tried, it find drivers and everything, but cannot identify the internet connection.

Im seriously starting to belive that it is the motherboard, Im about to send it back, the only thing that stops me is that the computer could find my home network and connect, is that possible if there is some hardware error? Or is there even a possibility of this beeing a hardware errror?

Any tip or advice is welcome!

//thanks
October 20, 2011 10:20:44 PM

If separate network cards aren't working along with different operating systems, then yes I'd say it could very well be an issue with the motherboard.

I'd recommend taking it back.
October 20, 2011 10:32:35 PM

arael said:
If separate network cards aren't working along with different operating systems, then yes I'd say it could very well be an issue with the motherboard.

I'd recommend taking it back.

I will probably do that, just sent a long mail to gigabytes technical support, if they respond back to me with a advice to try to update my drivers I will be mad! Contacting them first to get some confirmation that it could be an issue with the moterboard since there I ordered my parts from a online shop that is more known for cheap prices rather then good costumer service :( 
October 20, 2011 11:13:26 PM

Ack!
You might be able to RMA it, which would go directly to the manufacturer, rather than to the vendor
!