Recommend upgrades to this

lorgox

Honorable
Oct 21, 2012
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/m1gx

any ideas for upgrading this? I have a much larger budget for this ($3100). Already have a monitor. Probably not going to do a 3 monitor set up due to space and the fact that I move a lot. I really liked the idea of those closed water cooling systems, but i heard about 1 or 2 that leaked and so I am scared of them. Also scared of the beast dh 14 on my mobo. I plan on adding a card reader, which i already picked out and maybe a velociraptor. I want this to be easily upgradeable.

thoughts?

Xlerator

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012
If you want full upgradability, then get a full tower...
Full Tower, I recommend is the Swtich 810 or Storm Trooper or Storm Stryker
If you are getting a closed water cooling and still want a mid-tower case then get the Cosair 600T or the Scout 2

lorgox

Honorable
Oct 21, 2012
i need thunderbolt and also wifi ( i know i can add on later, just saying). People keep telling me that the i5 is better for gaming, (not a huge gamer though, at least right now)

I love the durability talk about the sabertooth, (who knows if it means anything), but again I would like thunderbolt without
I am in college so I move the pc to home and back 4 times a year. I was hoping there were some mods I could do to make it safer to move. This and the fact that my dorm is 80 sq feet are why I chose a mid tower. (Otherwise this would be a sick white switch 810 ;) )

Also I was originally going to go for an amd gpu, but I read that EVGA was best for customer service/support so I went Nvidia.

O also I'm buying a APC UPS that will be like $90.

nevermind my post i didn't read this until i had already posted :lol:

raytseng

Honorable
May 15, 2012
with such a large budget, I'd start with 2x8gb ram. You've splurged on everything else in the system, might as well at least start with that too.

But then along these lines you might want win7 pro, should you want to get to 32gb ram later...

raytseng

Honorable
May 15, 2012
the thing you may worry most about is the cpu cooler.

To secure it, the way my computer was shipped from avadirect was with some blocks of foam (cell foam,not styrofoam that will shed) to support the cooler and video card. use some tape too. All the foam is wedged in to provide the support, not loose. There was also a piece that wedged it against the sidepanel.

picture here:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/AVADirect_Quiet_Gaming_PC

lorgox

Honorable
Oct 21, 2012
nice! I was thinking about thunderbolt. I have a macbook pro (HATE IT) and I use firewire 800 on it. I would love something faster. I know USB 3 is faster, but is it really? Thats why I wanted thunderbolt, but now i hear that this 10 gb/s is not going to be reached by me and my external drive. So, can someone maybe tell me their experience with usb 3 vs firewire 800, benchmarks are great, but I really want real world experience here. Then maybe I can widen my search for a MOBO, or maybe get a sabertooth.

lorgox

Honorable
Oct 21, 2012
Ok, so if I forgo thunderbolt, this

ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

and the sabertooth sound good. Would need to buy separate wifi and bluetooth with sabertooth.

lorgox

Honorable
Oct 21, 2012
OK so i have updated the build a bit with intel SSD and MOBO and some cool sleeved psu cables and a different case. I would love to maybe change the CPU cooler to something else, because of how big the dh 14 is and also something that fits into this blue black silver color scheme.