Solved

The display is not connected to an nvidia gpu - asus gtx 580

I've just built my third PC (+2 Windows home servers) and I've come across a new problem I've never encountered before.

When I install the nvidia drivers to run the Asus GTX 580 it all seems to go well until I reboot. Clicking on the nvidia icon in the system tray returns a message that "The display is not connected to an nvidia gpu".

The card is displayed in device manager with a yellow warning icon. In the properties it says there is a problem with the driver. I uninstalled and reinstalled with a fresh copy downloaded from nvidia. Same result. Swapped the GTX 580 for an older Gigabyte GTX 460, uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers. Same result. Swapped the memory with sticks that I know are OK. Swapped the power cables in the PSU.

There is power to the card.

System Specs:
Asus z77 Sabretooth Motherboard
Intel Core i5 3570K
16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600
Asus GTX 580
Corsair AX 850 PSU
Intel 330 SSD
Win 7 Pro 64 bit.

Any ideas?
4 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about display connected nvidia asus
  1. Did you hook the monitor up to the 580 or did you accidentally hook it up to the motherboard's video out? (I know it's a stupid question, but it has to be asked)
  2. lts hooked up to the 580 (DVI).

l thought it may have something to do with the integrated graphics conflicting with the discreet
    graphics?
  3. Best answer
    Edit:
    Forgot to mention your motherboard may be different and just have an option for PCI-E in bios

If you believe the on board graphics card is conflicting, go into the bios and check for a setting called primary video controller. and make sure the option is something like GFXO GPP IGFX PCI and not IGFX GFXO GPP PCI

The first 4 letter are the important ones.

GFXO = PCI-e graphics card
    IGFX = integrated on-board graphics
  4. Problem solved.

Thanks for all the help and ideas.

It turned out to be a corrupt registry key. The solution involved finding the correct key and deleting the upperfilter and lowerfilter values as described in the link below:

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findbyerrormessage/a/code-39-error.htm
  5. Best answer selected by MickBrown1965.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Gtx Asus Nvidia Graphics