The display is not connected to an nvidia gpu - asus gtx 580

MickBrown1965

Honorable
Sep 4, 2012
I've just built my third PC (+2 Windows home servers) and I've come across a new problem I've never encountered before.

When I install the nvidia drivers to run the Asus GTX 580 it all seems to go well until I reboot. Clicking on the nvidia icon in the system tray returns a message that "The display is not connected to an nvidia gpu".

The card is displayed in device manager with a yellow warning icon. In the properties it says there is a problem with the driver. I uninstalled and reinstalled with a fresh copy downloaded from nvidia. Same result. Swapped the GTX 580 for an older Gigabyte GTX 460, uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers. Same result. Swapped the memory with sticks that I know are OK. Swapped the power cables in the PSU.

There is power to the card.

System Specs:
Asus z77 Sabretooth Motherboard
Intel Core i5 3570K
16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600
Asus GTX 580
Corsair AX 850 PSU
Intel 330 SSD
Win 7 Pro 64 bit.

Any ideas?

Solution
Edit:
Forgot to mention your motherboard may be different and just have an option for PCI-E in bios

If you believe the on board graphics card is conflicting, go into the bios and check for a setting called primary video controller. and make sure the option is something like GFXO GPP IGFX PCI and not IGFX GFXO GPP PCI

The first 4 letter are the important ones.

GFXO = PCI-e graphics card
IGFX = integrated on-board graphics

BruteCoder

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011
Edit:
Forgot to mention your motherboard may be different and just have an option for PCI-E in bios

If you believe the on board graphics card is conflicting, go into the bios and check for a setting called primary video controller. and make sure the option is something like GFXO GPP IGFX PCI and not IGFX GFXO GPP PCI

The first 4 letter are the important ones.

GFXO = PCI-e graphics card
IGFX = integrated on-board graphics

Solution

TRENDING THREADS