bphillips79

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2012
Hello all. I've built a pc for the first time in about 13 years. I've been using manufactured computers and laptops, and decided to build my own this time. First, my new baby is:

Gigabyte Radeon HD 7850
AMD FX-8120 3.1Ghz
ASUS M5A97 (OC version)
Sandisk Extreme 240Gb SSD
8Gb DDR3
Windows 7 64-bit
Inland 500w PS
Zalman Z11 Plus Chasis

So the problem I've having is the video drivers crashing and recovering. It happens fairly often, while I'm surfing the net (including trying to sign up for this site and typing up this post). I've tried (in no particular order)

* reformatting and using drivers on disc that came with the card
* reformatting and going straight to the v12.8 catalyst from AMD's site
* turning off the overclocking on the CPU

I've tried a couple of power supply calculator sites, and those vary greatly. Thermaltake said I only need 350W, ASUS (whom I'm a little more likely to trust) said I need at least 650W.

I'm unsure of what to do. At first, I was thinking maybe the card itself had a manufacturing defect. Now I'm wondering if it's because the power supply is too low. So I'm looking for your opinions. I'm happy to provide any other information, but you might need to tell me where to get it. The technology has changed a lot in 13 years. Thanks for any help.

Ben

viridiancrystal

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
Well, 500w should be plenty for that, so it could be the card is defect. I had crashing with my 7850, but that was on beta drivers, and went away with the 12.8 update.

You can try removing the card, cleaning and putting it back in, but that sure seems like a long shot to me.

bphillips79

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2012

Yeah, I thought 500w should have been plenty. It's not like computers get that close to the peak power often. And certainly not while reading a forum. I'll try reseating the card. If that doesn't work, then I'll try and return it. I put in a ticket with Gigabyte, but it's been about 24 hours and they haven't even looked at it yet.

bphillips79

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2012
Well, I've decided I'm just going to return the card. The drivers are crashing every couple of minutes and sometimes the card stops sending output to the port so the monitor doesn't even see any signal. Hopefully getting a new card will rectify the problem. I'll update this weekend when I can switch out cards.

toperr

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012
hi. I have a similar machine. AMD FX-8120, Gigabyte Radeon HD 7850 (R785OC-2GD), 2x2GB RAM kingston HyperX 1600 (runs on 1333 by default in bios), GigabyteGA-990FXA-UD3, FSP 650W Raider, same chasis :)

computer is crushing when i playing games. it looks as shut down graphics during game, sometimes freezes. i try update bios in MB and Graphics but without success. wanna try change card for another but havent other now.

Andruha

Reputable
Jan 28, 2016

had a same problem, looks like your gpu has problems, i runned furmark for about 20 minutes and it probaly heated better gpu bga and it temporary solved the problem