Why I feel bad for my Exalted players.

Last response: in Video Games
May 17, 2004 4:47:14 AM

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

In Exalted.

Thank you.
Anonymous
May 17, 2004 11:15:44 PM

Shane Graves wrote:

> Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.
>
> In Exalted.

> Thank you.

They'd make excelent Lunar Exalted.

Michael Dracon
Ex Libris Nocturnis Forum Moderator
http://www.nocturnis.net

"Maybe there is just a lot of full moons out there, somewhere,
lined up, beaming bozo rays into everybody's brains."
- Zack Allen, Babylon 5

http://home.wanadoo.nl/members/michaeldracon
Anonymous
May 17, 2004 11:15:45 PM

Michael Dracon wrote:

> They'd make excelent Lunar Exalted.

Or the fifth, lost breed of Dragon Kings, aspected towards Earth and
native to the Blessed Isle.
--
Stephenls
Geek

Stephenls wrote:

> Michael Dracon wrote:
>
> > They'd make excelent Lunar Exalted.
>
> Or the fifth, lost breed of Dragon Kings, aspected towards Earth and
> native to the Blessed Isle.

Didn't think of that one. But than again, that's probably because I'm working on
a 'fifth' race myself. Actually, it's not really a race but rather an abberation
of all others.

Michael Dracon
Ex Libris Nocturnis Forum Moderator
http://www.nocturnis.net

"Maybe there is just a lot of full moons out there, somewhere,
lined up, beaming bozo rays into everybody's brains."
- Zack Allen, Babylon 5

http://home.wanadoo.nl/members/michaeldracon
Anonymous
May 18, 2004 12:38:21 AM

"Michael Dracon" <MichaelDracon@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Stephenls wrote:
>
> > Michael Dracon wrote:
> >
> > > They'd make excelent Lunar Exalted.
> >
> > Or the fifth, lost breed of Dragon Kings, aspected towards Earth and
> > native to the Blessed Isle.
>
> Didn't think of that one. But than again, that's probably because I'm
working on
> a 'fifth' race myself. Actually, it's not really a race but rather an
abberation
> of all others.

I haven't really read any Exalted stuff, but a lot of what is appearing on
this newsgroup about the Dragon Kings seems to have strong parallels to the
WoD's Mokole. Is this valid or are the similarities just superficial?

-Essex
Anonymous
May 18, 2004 12:38:22 AM

Essex wrote:

> I haven't really read any Exalted stuff, but a lot of what is appearing on
> this newsgroup about the Dragon Kings seems to have strong parallels to the
> WoD's Mokole. Is this valid or are the similarities just superficial?

Not just superficial, but at the same time not entirely meaningful.
It's like saying the Dragon-Blooded have similarities with the Kuei-Jin,
or Sidereals have similarities with mages.

Dragon Kings are the ancient dinosaur-people that ruled the world before
the dawn of men. They can remember their past lives. One of their
Paths involves re-shaping their bodies, and another lets them appear as
a human. As a race they're in decline.

Other than that, er, not much. They don't have access to racial memory
and only one breed is tied to crocodilians (and that one not very; it's
more tied to mosasaurs), they don't worship Gaia, and they're not
vulnerable to gold or silver. They're more an interesting spin on the
archetypal "degenerate lizard-men who skulk in the ruins of their
once-grand cities" from pulp fantasy than "Mokole in Exalted."
--
Stephenls
Geek
"I'm as impure as the driven yellow snow." -Spike
Anonymous
May 18, 2004 1:22:50 AM

Essex wrote:

> I haven't really read any Exalted stuff, but a lot of what is appearing on
> this newsgroup about the Dragon Kings seems to have strong parallels to the
> WoD's Mokole. Is this valid or are the similarities just superficial?

Superficial, apparently. As far as we know, the Changing Breeds are
more closely connected to the Lunar Exalted than to the Dragon Kings.
Dragon Kings, on the other hand, do not worship Gaia and are not natural
shapeshifters.

Of course, it is possible that some of the Mokole bits about "we were
the reptiles who ruled the world long, long ago" may be based on
remembering images of the Dragon Kings and thinking "Oh, those must have
been us."
--
[The address listed is a spam trap. To reply, take off every zig.]

"I wasn't aware the Tokyo police employed uneducated, paranoid,
delusional foreign delinquents."
"In my case, they made an exception."
-- MegaTokyo
Anonymous
May 21, 2004 9:06:35 PM

Stephenls <stephenls@shaw.ca> wrote in message news:<2gt3f3F5s9pmU1@uni-berlin.de>...
> Essex wrote:
>
> > I haven't really read any Exalted stuff, but a lot of what is appearing on
> > this newsgroup about the Dragon Kings seems to have strong parallels to the
> > WoD's Mokole. Is this valid or are the similarities just superficial?
>
> Not just superficial, but at the same time not entirely meaningful.
> It's like saying the Dragon-Blooded have similarities with the Kuei-Jin,
> or Sidereals have similarities with mages.
>
> Dragon Kings are the ancient dinosaur-people that ruled the world before
> the dawn of men. They can remember their past lives. One of their
> Paths involves re-shaping their bodies, and another lets them appear as
> a human. As a race they're in decline.
>
> Other than that, er, not much. They don't have access to racial memory
> and only one breed is tied to crocodilians (and that one not very; it's
> more tied to mosasaurs), they don't worship Gaia, and they're not
> vulnerable to gold or silver. They're more an interesting spin on the
> archetypal "degenerate lizard-men who skulk in the ruins of their
> once-grand cities" from pulp fantasy than "Mokole in Exalted."

All true, but...

As I recall, the Mokole's ancestors also weren't natural
shapeshifters, worshipped the sun in the form of Helios, and *did*
call themselves Dragon Kings...

If I *had* to connect the two, it'd be pretty easy. I'd probably have
the Mokole come about because of interbreeding between Dragon Kings
and reptilian Lunars (with sorcery involved, of course). This could
also cover the evolution of their memories from "Past Lives" to
"Racial" (a development that mirrors the change in "Other Memories"
from Dune, actually), as well as the shapeshifting.

Dex
Anonymous
May 21, 2004 9:13:27 PM

Richard Clayton <reZIGclaytonZIG@verizon.net> wrote in message news:<2gt6q5F699mjU2@uni-berlin.de>...
> Essex wrote:
>
> > I haven't really read any Exalted stuff, but a lot of what is appearing on
> > this newsgroup about the Dragon Kings seems to have strong parallels to the
> > WoD's Mokole. Is this valid or are the similarities just superficial?
>
> Superficial, apparently. As far as we know, the Changing Breeds are
> more closely connected to the Lunar Exalted than to the Dragon Kings.
> Dragon Kings, on the other hand, do not worship Gaia and are not natural
> shapeshifters.
>
> Of course, it is possible that some of the Mokole bits about "we were
> the reptiles who ruled the world long, long ago" may be based on
> remembering images of the Dragon Kings and thinking "Oh, those must have
> been us."

Well, there are some differences in their rule...for one, the Mokole's
ancestors didn't have much in the way of tech.

FWIW, the Mokole remember something they call the "Wonderwork", which
changed the world. They think it's the
Shattering/Sundering/whatever...But it could be the retroactive
rewriting of Reality that gave rise to the WoD from the WoS' ashes...

Dex
Anonymous
May 26, 2004 12:00:16 AM

"Hand-of-Omega" <smilinglord@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Richard Clayton <reZIGclaytonZIG@verizon.net> wrote in message
> > Essex wrote:
> >
> > > I haven't really read any Exalted stuff, but a lot of what is
appearing on
> > > this newsgroup about the Dragon Kings seems to have strong parallels
to the
> > > WoD's Mokole. Is this valid or are the similarities just superficial?
> >
> > Superficial, apparently. As far as we know, the Changing Breeds are
> > more closely connected to the Lunar Exalted than to the Dragon Kings.
> > Dragon Kings, on the other hand, do not worship Gaia and are not natural
> > shapeshifters.
> >
> > Of course, it is possible that some of the Mokole bits about "we were
> > the reptiles who ruled the world long, long ago" may be based on
> > remembering images of the Dragon Kings and thinking "Oh, those must have
> > been us."
>
> Well, there are some differences in their rule...for one, the Mokole's
> ancestors didn't have much in the way of tech.

Not necessarily. IIRC, the books indicate that the Mokole don't recall
enough about their past to determine what their cultural technological level
was. If you believe that Captain Caveman from the character fiction in Sons
of Ether (revised) was seeing the ancient culture that the Mokole were part
of, then they seemed to have a modest tech level. Also note that even at the
height of their power the Mokole only made up a fraction of a percent of the
population. They'd have been a mere footnote to the culture of the Dragon
Kings.

> FWIW, the Mokole remember something they call the "Wonderwork", which
> changed the world. They think it's the
> Shattering/Sundering/whatever...But it could be the retroactive
> rewriting of Reality that gave rise to the WoD from the WoS' ashes...

True. And it's a very good theory.

-Essex
!