Just got my first non point and shoot digital cam and need..

Last response: in Digital Camera
January 20, 2005 3:02:04 AM

I just bought my first digital camera that isn't just a point and shoot
camera, it has many more features. The one I bought was the Canon
PowerShot S1 IS

I don't have a lot of time to learn how to use it before this weekend where
I'm going to watch my nephew play basketball, I'd like to get some good
shots of him. Should I shoot with the fast shutter speed?

any suggestions for a newbie to this camera would be appreciated, I have to
learn quick........lol
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 3:02:05 AM

No wrote:

> I just bought my first digital camera that isn't just a point and shoot
> camera, it has many more features. The one I bought was the Canon
> PowerShot S1 IS
>
> I don't have a lot of time to learn how to use it before this weekend where
> I'm going to watch my nephew play basketball, I'd like to get some good
> shots of him. Should I shoot with the fast shutter speed?
>
> any suggestions for a newbie to this camera would be appreciated, I have to
> learn quick........lol

I just got a new airplane.
I have to go cross country this weekend.
I do not have the time to read and understand the manual.
does anyone have suggestions as to how to do it safely?
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 9:22:02 AM

No wrote:
> I just bought my first digital camera that isn't just a point and
> shoot camera, it has many more features. The one I bought was the
> Canon PowerShot S1 IS
>
> I don't have a lot of time to learn how to use it before this weekend
> where I'm going to watch my nephew play basketball, I'd like to get
> some good shots of him. Should I shoot with the fast shutter speed?
>
> any suggestions for a newbie to this camera would be appreciated, I
> have to learn quick........lol

This newsgroup is for interchangeable-lens cameras.

Discussions about ZLR cameras such as the Canon S1 IS would be more
correctly placed in rec.photo.digital.zlr. I'm not much into sports
photography.

Cheers,
David
January 20, 2005 12:32:55 PM

Roll on the next Cartier-Bresson!!!
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 3:24:22 PM

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 06:22:02 GMT, you, "David J Taylor" <david-
taylor@invalid.com>, wrote in news:35912oF4ifi6kU1@individual.net:

> This newsgroup is for interchangeable-lens cameras.

Sorry if this was discussed before, but the group name doesn't suggest
interchangeable-lens. Does it say so in the charter that only
interchangeable-lens cameras can be posted here (as a SLR camera doesn't
have to have interchangeable-lenses)?

--
T.N.T.

Lbh xabj jung gb qb vs lbh rire jnag gb rznvy zr.
January 20, 2005 3:24:23 PM

"T.N.T." <tnt@localhost.ca> wrote in message
> On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 06:22:02 GMT, you, "David J Taylor" <david-
> taylor@invalid.com>, wrote in news:35912oF4ifi6kU1@individual.net:
>
> > This newsgroup is for interchangeable-lens cameras.
> >

> Sorry if this was discussed before, but the group name doesn't suggest
> interchangeable-lens. Does it say so in the charter that only
> interchangeable-lens cameras can be posted here (as a SLR camera doesn't
> have to have interchangeable-lenses)?

However the camera discussed is NOT a SLR at all.
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 4:44:37 PM

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 13:41:38 GMT, you, "Darrell" <dev/null>, wrote in

> "T.N.T." <tnt@localhost.ca> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 06:22:02 GMT, you, "David J Taylor" <david-
>> taylor@invalid.com>, wrote in news:35912oF4ifi6kU1@individual.net:
>>
>> > This newsgroup is for interchangeable-lens cameras.
>> >

>> Sorry if this was discussed before, but the group name doesn't
>> suggest interchangeable-lens. Does it say so in the charter that only
>> interchangeable-lens cameras can be posted here (as a SLR camera
>> doesn't have to have interchangeable-lenses)?
>>
> However the camera discussed is NOT a SLR at all.

Agree, and I did not quote that camera in my post. I just asked about the
interchageable-lens thingy.

--
T.N.T.

Lbh xabj jung gb qb vs lbh rire jnag gb rznvy zr.
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 4:57:38 PM

T.N.T. wrote:
[]
> Sorry if this was discussed before, but the group name doesn't suggest
> interchangeable-lens. Does it say so in the charter that only
> interchangeable-lens cameras can be posted here (as a SLR camera
> doesn't have to have interchangeable-lenses)?

Yes.

If the camera does not have interchangeable lenses (as opposed to add-on
lenses) then this isn't the correct group. "systems" was meant to
encompass the interchangeability.

I expect someone may post a link to the charter.

David
January 20, 2005 7:17:56 PM

In article <10uuiar1qkq1h7a@corp.supernews.com>, no@isp.com says...

>I just bought my first digital camera that isn't just a point and shoot
>camera, it has many more features. The one I bought was the Canon
>PowerShot S1 IS
>
>I don't have a lot of time to learn how to use it before this weekend where
>I'm going to watch my nephew play basketball, I'd like to get some good
>shots of him. Should I shoot with the fast shutter speed?
>
>any suggestions for a newbie to this camera would be appreciated, I have to
>learn quick........lol

As stated, this is the wrong group. One of the more general NG's, like rec.
photo.digital, or ...zlr, would be the better choices. That said, take a grey,
or white card with you for setting your color balance, and bump up the ISO (as
the fate of getting more "noise") to allow the fastest shutter speed possible.
Turn OFF your camera's flash for all shots.

Hunt
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 8:19:58 PM

T.N.T. wrote:

> Agree, and I did not quote that camera in my post. I just asked about the
> interchageable-lens thingy.

Follow the 2nd link in my sig to the Reader's Digest version of the charter as
well as the official charter as voted.

excerpt:
"This newsgroup, rec.photo.digital.slr-systems, is an open forum for the
discussion of digital SLR (single lens reflex) camera systems.

These systems consist of:

* Digital SLR (DSLR) camera bodies with mounts for detachable lenses
* Lenses for those cameras"

Cheers,
Alan
January 21, 2005 1:55:00 AM

Crownfield wrote:

> I just got a new airplane.
> I have to go cross country this weekend.
> I do not have the time to read and understand the manual.
> does anyone have suggestions as to how to do it safely?

Same here. Any replies most welcome. Some quick advice on night time flying
would be a welcome addition.

Please send reply directly to this group, as MANY others here have the same
dilemma. Poor Edward...last year his pleas for help were completely ignored
and look what happened.

mike
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 1:55:01 AM

m II wrote:

> Crownfield wrote:
>
>> I just got a new airplane. I have to go cross country this weekend.
>> I do not have the time to read and understand the manual.
>> does anyone have suggestions as to how to do it safely?
>

> Same here. Any replies most welcome. Some quick advice on night time
> flying would be a welcome addition.

My short course...

Don't smoke. Wrecks night vision.
Bring two flashlights. A large D battery type and a small cockpit light.
Practise landing without landing/taxi lights at least twice per year.
Practice VFR navigation without navaids (no VOR, no ADF, no GPS...) on a 2 hour
x-country flight at least once per year.
Take an instructor up once a year for partial panel and unusual attitude
recovery training at least once per year.

I used to teach that following an engine failure at night in a single engine
aircraft, and following emergency checklists and communication, and in
conditions where not only is the moon not full, but the overcast makes the land
below near pitch black, that one should secure the cockpit and passenger areas,
configure the aircraft for landing and turn into the wind at 1.3 Vflaps.

The last part of the checklist goes:
"Turn on the landing light.
If you don't like what you see then turn off the landing light."

January 21, 2005 1:55:02 AM

Alan Browne wrote:

> m II wrote:
>
> > Crownfield wrote:
> >
> >> I just got a new airplane. I have to go cross country this weekend.
> >> I do not have the time to read and understand the manual.
> >> does anyone have suggestions as to how to do it safely?
> >

> > Same here. Any replies most welcome. Some quick advice on night time
> > flying would be a welcome addition.
>
> My short course...

i was kidding when I asked.
but your response makes a lot of sense.