Scheduling reboot linksys wrt54g

Beanobuff

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Hello, my linksys wrt54G reboots automatically at 10 PM every day. I want to change the scheduled reboot time to 2 AM each day. How do I do this?

Solution
Likely running dd-wrt or tomato, in dd-wrt log into the router interface, then click the administration tab, then the keep alive tab, there is an option which says Schedule Reboot and a time schedule there, make the changes then save at the bottom. Tomato likely has something similar.

The firmwares are labeled pretty plainly once you login to the router you should be able to tell what firmware its running.
I didn't even know the WRT54G had an option for scheduled reboots. If it does, then I would presume it's configurable somewhere in the administrative UI (http://192.168.1.1). It isn't? Are you using the stock firmware (as opposed to dd-wrt or tomato third party firmware)?

Btw, I have no idea why anyone would want to be routinely rebooting their router, not unless they were having problems. A good router should almost never require rebooting except for reconfiguration. Mine often run for months at a time.

Beanobuff

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011

Thanks eib grad. No, the router did not have an option for schedule reboots, but the internet connection was broken almost once a week and rebooting the router each was the only way to reconnect. Now it never goes down unexpectedly, but the 10 PM reboot is very inconvenient. Frankly, I don't have any idea how it was done--my son's friend did it, but he is no longer in town. So, as you might guess, I have no idea about any of the details--stock firmware, dd-wrt, tomato third party--no idea! So looks like it might be hopeless given my lack of knowledge.
Beanobuff

tomatthe

Distinguished
Likely running dd-wrt or tomato, in dd-wrt log into the router interface, then click the administration tab, then the keep alive tab, there is an option which says Schedule Reboot and a time schedule there, make the changes then save at the bottom. Tomato likely has something similar.

The firmwares are labeled pretty plainly once you login to the router you should be able to tell what firmware its running.

Solution

Beanobuff

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011

FIXED! Thanks very much Tomatthe. It is a dd-wrt so your info allowed me to get in there and change it! It did require an extra step b/c I didn't have all the info: Turned out, the reboot was already set correctly for 4 AM Yet, it was rebooting at 11 PM every day. So, I realized that there must be a time-setting in the router (since the computer had the correct time). Eventually, I made my way to "Setting" and saw that the dd-wrt time was set for +01 UTC. Had no idea what UTC was, but eventually figured that out and realized that the 4 AM reboot was translating into 11 PM! So I reset the reboot for 9 AM, kept the UTC at +01, and that should do it. THANKS!