Your question

Are these parts good for a gaming pc?

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Gaming
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
November 1, 2012 11:34:11 AM

Hey guys I want to soon build a gaming pc as I am fed up with consoles at the moment. I have never built one myself before but I am planning to do so using these parts:
Novatech 750w Modular Psu (reviews are good about 30 on website) £64
Crucial Ballistix Sport 2x8gh 1600mhz £25
3570k £160
iiyama ProLite E2473HDS 24 inch LED Backlit Monitor £150
Kingston Technology 120GB 2.5 inch SSDNow V+200 SATA3 Solid State Drive £65
Gigabyte Gaz77 ds3h £66
Arctic Silver 5 £5
Hyper 212 Evo £25
Sapphire HD Dual X OC 7850 £150
Sony AD-5280S-0B DVD±RW 24x SATA Drive with Dust Protected Enclosure and Emergency Eject £16
Total around £800 (have win 7 already on a disk)
-Are these parts reliable, good enough for the price? could I buy a prebuilt system from somewhere with similar performance and not have to worry about the build. Also could I get these parts cheaper anywhere else?
-I am planning to upgrade to a sidewinder x4 instead of my cherry xt for my first upgrade then I will buy a HDD or a new video card depending on how much room I have on my SSD. How long would this system last before I would not be able to play the latest games thx!

More about : parts good gaming

a b 4 Gaming
November 1, 2012 12:11:27 PM

get a better power supply such as a xfx xxx 750w from overclockers.uk. good reviews mean nothing to me other than if it gives me a benchmark. or a xfx 650w since 7850s dont eat that much power even in crossfire. if you are not doing crossfire for this system, id suggest getting a xfx 550w

id suggest getting a vs28h-p monitor from asus instead. i dont really suggest buying from no-name brands

for 10 pounds more, id suggest getting a samsung 830 or a vertex 4 128gb SSD instead. the one you chose isnt as good

arctic silver 5 is not that good. the stock paste could be the same or even better without being conductive

id suggest getting a asrock extreme4 instead of the ds3h. higher quality and more features

November 1, 2012 12:26:35 PM

TheBigTroll said:
get a better power supply such as a xfx xxx 750w from overclockers.uk. good reviews mean nothing to me other than if it gives me a benchmark. or a xfx 650w since 7850s dont eat that much power even in crossfire. if you are not doing crossfire for this system, id suggest getting a xfx 550w

id suggest getting a vs28h-p monitor from asus instead. i dont really suggest buying from no-name brands

for 10 pounds more, id suggest getting a samsung 830 or a vertex 4 128gb SSD instead. the one you chose isnt as good

arctic silver 5 is not that good. the stock paste could be the same or even better without being conductive

id suggest getting a asrock extreme4 instead of the ds3h. higher quality and more features

The power supply needs to be modular as I dont want clusters of cables and it will be much easier for me as a first time builder any suggestions?

Does the asus monitor have 2x hdmi and one dvi d? because i need them for my xbox, ps3 and my new pc if it does not which would be better with those that is in good price range?

I might go with the samsung 830 but is it reliable and how much faster is it than the kingston

Also the stock paste is just the Coolermaster stuff that comes with it is it actually better than arctic silver 5?
Related resources
November 1, 2012 12:30:08 PM

Also my maximum budget is £830 as I need it by christmas and I will not have any more cash by then
November 1, 2012 12:43:10 PM

As for the motherboard extreme 4 is too far out of price range - would a pro 4 be good? or a asus z77 lx? any good z77 overcloking boards for £60-£85?
November 1, 2012 1:05:01 PM

Go with a Seasonic modular 520w psu. In the US, its available for 69 bucks.
a b 4 Gaming
November 1, 2012 1:17:26 PM

Ed Hunter said:
The power supply needs to be modular as I dont want clusters of cables and it will be much easier for me as a first time builder any suggestions?

Does the asus monitor have 2x hdmi and one dvi d? because i need them for my xbox, ps3 and my new pc if it does not which would be better with those that is in good price range?

I might go with the samsung 830 but is it reliable and how much faster is it than the kingston

Also the stock paste is just the Coolermaster stuff that comes with it is it actually better than arctic silver 5?

i rather have a power supply that doesnt blow up and isnt modular vs one that is modular and blows up. up to you. the xfx xxx 750 is modular though

no it has 1 hdmi and one dvi. pretty dam sure that there is a displayport as well but you will need a cable. note that you cant run 2 hdmi and a dvi at the same time anyways

a lot faster in benchmarks but only a bit faster in actual usage

its pretty good. there isnt a point of getting arctic silver at all since there are way better pastes out there that dont need curing and would perform better. at most, the difference in temperatures might be only 2-3c AT MOST
November 1, 2012 1:18:53 PM

maestro0428 said:
Go with a Seasonic modular 520w psu. In the US, its available for 69 bucks.

Costs £71 here :S would a 630w be quiet modular be a good psu for £63 looks great no negative reviews 80+ certified and has got a good amount of connectors - would it give me the option to prehaps crossfire 7850's?
a b 4 Gaming
November 1, 2012 1:19:14 PM

the pro4 would do but crossfire on that board isnt great since it would mean running 16x from CPU (fastest) and 4x from the chipset (which is sloww).

the extrem4 is arranged for 8x 8x which are both from the CPU, meaning it would provide a equal amount of bandwidth to both cards
November 1, 2012 1:27:36 PM

TheBigTroll said:
i rather have a power supply that doesnt blow up and isnt modular vs one that is modular and blows up. up to you. the xfx xxx 750 is modular though

no it has 1 hdmi and one dvi. pretty dam sure that there is a displayport as well but you will need a cable. note that you cant run 2 hdmi and a dvi at the same time anyways

a lot faster in benchmarks but only a bit faster in actual usage

its pretty good. there isnt a point of getting arctic silver at all since there are way better pastes out there that dont need curing and would perform better. at most, the difference in temperatures might be only 2-3c AT MOST

Be quiet 630w modular looks good is it reliable? xfx out of price range

Also can I not have my ps3 on hdmi, xbox on hdmi and pc on dvi so I can switch between them without having to change cables? Or are there limitations

I think I will stick with the kingston - kingston is reliable and the £20 more for the other drives is not worth it for a mild increase in performance - Ive been using 5400rpm laptop drives for my whole life so any ssd would be a massive leap for me - this one seems not too slow, nor extremley fast but is reliable

I guess I will save £5 on arctic silver 5 then if it has no difference

And with the boards I cant afford the extreme 4? Are there ANY other crossfire boards under £85? if not which board would be good value for a single card only that is reliable and overclocks good :) 
a b 4 Gaming
November 1, 2012 1:33:16 PM

be quiet is good

no. its just that most monitors dont have 2 hdmi connections. and the fact that you cant use 2 of them at the same time

yeah but samsung is more reliable

nope. i said that crossfire will work on the pro4 but its just not as good. it will still do the trick
November 1, 2012 1:39:07 PM

TheBigTroll said:
be quiet is good

no. its just that most monitors dont have 2 hdmi connections. and the fact that you cant use 2 of them at the same time

yeah but samsung is more reliable

nope. i said that crossfire will work on the pro4 but its just not as good. it will still do the trick

So if I tried to plug my ps3 in to one hmdi and xbox into other would neither hdmi 1 or hdmi 2 work? I dont understand why it wouldnt as it works on my Sony TV which has 2x hdmi's but im selling that so yeh :S confused

Il wait until Im just about to buy everything if prices on 830 have dropped a bit I will buy it if not il just stick with the kingston

What will the difference in scaling be between the pro4 and the extreme eg 3% difference or will it be a major difference - also bear in mind I probably wont crossfire, only if the performance options are better bang for buck when I need to upgrade

a b 4 Gaming
November 1, 2012 1:49:23 PM

no its just that you cant run them both at the same time from what i know. and it doesnt have 2 hdmi ports in the first place. most monitors only have one of each

if you are not to crossfire, get a pro4 and get a 550w power supply such as the xfx 550. the 600w units are a bit overkill for single card usage
November 1, 2012 2:01:45 PM

TheBigTroll said:
no its just that you cant run them both at the same time from what i know. and it doesnt have 2 hdmi ports in the first place. most monitors only have one of each

if you are not to crossfire, get a pro4 and get a 550w power supply such as the xfx 550. the 600w units are a bit overkill for single card usage

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004KX7ED4/?tag=hydra0b-21&h... definatley says 2x hdmi - I think I wrote the wrong monitor at the specs list - It works on my Tv which is much older than this monitor so I think it will work

Im going with the pro 4 as I dont think I am going to crossfire in the future

As for the psu Im going with the be quiet as it is modular so it is easier, not much more expensive than the xfx, and it is higher wattage so fan will not need to run as loud to keep it cool, not to mention it is also reliable

An expensive motherboard might not be a good idea either - haswell coming out in 2013, I will buy a good motherboard and processor at the same time around Novermber 2013
November 1, 2012 2:02:34 PM

TheBigTroll said:
you cant run them both at the same time from what i know.

Does that mean you cannot have them actually turned on at the same time or actually just "plugged in" at the same time
a b 4 Gaming
November 1, 2012 2:08:58 PM

you cant have them turned on the same time

the monitor doesnt have 2 hdmi connections. even look at the picture where they show the IO

even though the xfx is non-modular, there arent that miuch cables and you can easily leave them zipped into a ball and leave that at the bottom the case

if you are upgrading to haswell next year and getting anew computer this year, you are wasting since there is no point of buying a good chip now and throwing it away next year.

upgrade like every 3-5 years, not the next year.
November 2, 2012 8:29:41 AM

TheBigTroll said:
you cant have them turned on the same time

the monitor doesnt have 2 hdmi connections. even look at the picture where they show the IO

even though the xfx is non-modular, there arent that miuch cables and you can easily leave them zipped into a ball and leave that at the bottom the case

if you are upgrading to haswell next year and getting anew computer this year, you are wasting since there is no point of buying a good chip now and throwing it away next year.

upgrade like every 3-5 years, not the next year.

Monitor has one on the rear IO and one on the side panel of the monitor

Well I need a computer now and im got going to wait months for new hardware - it will be a year untill I might consider upgrading if I want more power
a b 4 Gaming
November 2, 2012 10:40:13 AM

nah. i wouldnt get a no-name panel

1 year is too little. honestly you wont see a noticeable performance in games anyways from upgrading the CPU from ivy to haswell since games are GPU dependent and not so much CPU. it would be a total waste
!