AXP 2000 Kt333 still slower that Northwood

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Juin, you're forgetting about the T-Bred. AMD might not improve the core in terms of IPC, but the die shrink will allow significantly higher clock speeds.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

priit

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hmm, sometimes slower, sometimes faster, I say they are pretty even. My 1Ghz Athlon still cracks RC-5 faster 2Ghz NW :smile: ...

G

<i>..."Also as NW 533 FSB will improve IPC again.Tbred got no chance unless they do a 166 FSB..."</i>

Really hoping that the boys at AMD will indeed boost the T-bred FSB to 166Mhz. Otherwise, I'll be completly content in keeping my 266 DDR based XP 1900+ system for quite awhile.

IIB

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2001
Who is the Winner?
well the NW won 14 benchmarks w/o memory benchmarks.
with 2 benchmarks of Quake 3 ARENA - which is quite old by now...

the Athlno XP won 13 benchmarks

so i'd say there about tie
keeping in mind that the Athlon Xp is way cheaper
and the NW is a MUCH better overclocker...

This post is best viewed with common sense enabled

Oni

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
AMd have nerver state anything about 512 L2 or faster FSB.Athlon will be the new duron soon in Q4
ah but they never denied it either!
And if you really expected a chipset to give a huge performance boost for a CPU then you need to read about PC hardware a little more. If you look at the first DDR chipset for Tbirds and the newest we have now there isn't that much of a performance gain. The performance we have gotten is mostly from CPU speed increasing. I know some is from the memory, but as has been proven before Athlon Tbirds, and XPs just dont benefit much from improved memory bandwidth unless the FSB itself is faster. Thats why there is almost no difference between KT266a and nforce.

"Why can't I be the man? I mean, I DO have harmony balls..." -epoth