Sign in with
Your question

Thoughts on My upgrade

Last response: in Systems
November 1, 2012 12:41:02 PM

Hi all,

I am new but just thought I would get your opinions on my upgrade, I dont have a massive budget but I am welcome to any alternatives to my wishlist. I have toyed with the idea of using an AMD processor as I understand you can get a little more for your money but what does anythink about that idea?

Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H Socket 1155

Processor - Intel Core i5 3570K 3.4GHz Socket 1155

Heatsink/fan - Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro rev 2

Graphics card - Gigabyte GTX 550 Ti 1GB GDDR5

RAM - Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz XMS3

http://www.ebuyer.com/lists/list/81631

I will be dual booting Windows XP 64bit and Windows 8 64bit, I use dual monitors aswell.

The total cost for this lot comes to £383.51

More about : thoughts upgrade

November 1, 2012 12:58:47 PM

You should be fine with that rig. And a 500 or a 600w PSU should be good. I suggest Corsair, or OCZ PSUs
November 1, 2012 1:31:13 PM

fueledguitar said:
You should be fine with that rig. And a 500 or a 600w PSU should be good. I suggest Corsair, or OCZ PSUs

Thanks for that, modular?
Related resources
November 1, 2012 1:44:21 PM

If you game a lot you could cut down your CPU and get a i5-3470 instead (plenty for gaming) and get something like a 7770, GTX 650 Ti or 7850 (depending on how much you have left) instead of the GTX 550 Ti.

November 1, 2012 1:49:56 PM

rene13cross said:
If you game a lot you could cut down your CPU and get a i5-3470 instead (plenty for gaming) and get something like a 7770, GTX 650 Ti or 7850 (depending on how much you have left) instead of the GTX 550 Ti.

Hmm...good point I will look in to that thanks mate.
a b B Homebuilt system
November 1, 2012 1:53:42 PM

Don't cut down on the CPU. Also, don't get nVidia cards unless it is a 670 or better. Just overclock the CPU and it will be well worth the money.

Btw, you have no case and a good 400w will suffice for up to a 7770 and overclocked i5.
a b B Homebuilt system
November 1, 2012 1:59:37 PM

For games, there is no longer any price point at which Intel does not outperform AMD. The differences, however, are not overwhelming until you get into the high end. Even there, the graphics card will probably make a bigger difference in most games.
The GTX550Ti is not a strong card. For better performance and also much better bang/buck, I'd recommend a HD7770 or HD7850.
The V2 version of the Corsair "Builder" was manufactured by Channel Well (not Seasonic) using an inferior line of Samxon capacitors known for early failure. They review well, but may not hold up. Links available upon request. I'd suggest anything built by Seasonic, new FSP, or Enermax/LEPA.
The Crappermaster white paste is a waste of money. The old standard, Arctic Silver AS5, is a good paste to use. Other silver-based pastes like MX-2 are also good. Most aftermarket CPU coolers come with paste.
The 92mm Freezer 7 Pro is not a great cooler, and may be whiny (the prior version definitely was). I would suggest a 120mm product such as a Xigmatek Gaia. Frostytech found it to be quieter and cooler than the Hyper 212+, and quieter and within a degree of the Hyper 212 Evo; it's also cheaper (at least on this side of the pond).
November 1, 2012 2:06:19 PM

samuelspark said:
Don't cut down on the CPU. Also, don't get nVidia cards unless it is a 670 or better. Just overclock the CPU and it will be well worth the money.

Btw, you have no case and a good 400w will suffice for up to a 7770 and overclocked i5.

I must admit I did like the look of my chosen processor so will prob stick with it, I qalready have an Antec case which I only bought 8 months and will be fine to house the new gear. Thanks for your input buddy
November 1, 2012 2:37:14 PM

Onus said:
For games, there is no longer any price point at which Intel does not outperform AMD. The differences, however, are not overwhelming until you get into the high end. Even there, the graphics card will probably make a bigger difference in most games.
The GTX550Ti is not a strong card. For better performance and also much better bang/buck, I'd recommend a HD7770 or HD7850.
The V2 version of the Corsair "Builder" was manufactured by Channel Well (not Seasonic) using an inferior line of Samxon capacitors known for early failure. They review well, but may not hold up. Links available upon request. I'd suggest anything built by Seasonic, new FSP, or Enermax/LEPA.
The Crappermaster white paste is a waste of money. The old standard, Arctic Silver AS5, is a good paste to use. Other silver-based pastes like MX-2 are also good. Most aftermarket CPU coolers come with paste.
The 92mm Freezer 7 Pro is not a great cooler, and may be whiny (the prior version definitely was). I would suggest a 120mm product such as a Xigmatek Gaia. Frostytech found it to be quieter and cooler than the Hyper 212+, and quieter and within a degree of the Hyper 212 Evo; it's also cheaper (at least on this side of the pond).

Ok bud will look at your suggestions, could you explain why the HD7770 is a better card as the only main difference I can see is the Core clock on the HD7770 is a little better (My strong points isnt graphics cards) I have two monitors one is DVI and the other VGA will the suggested card be able to run these with adapters?

I take your point about the RAM and will look in to a Seasonic set and will also look at a 120mm fan.

Many thanks
a b B Homebuilt system
November 1, 2012 2:57:09 PM

Comparing clock speeds between two entirely different architectures will not be meaningful. In general, a good reference is the hierarchy chart at the end of the monthly Best Graphics Cards for the Money articles, backed up by benchmark comparisons of the specific games you want to play. There are benchmarks here, and also a good set over at Anantech, and at TechPowerUp.
The HD7770 will be able to run your monitors. You probably will need an adapter; I believe mine came with one.
!