Radeon 4870 w/ 2 Acer AL2223W 22" monitors - resolution issue on 2nd

mike523

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2008
Ok so I just grabbed a 2nd Acer AL2223W monitor on eBay to pair with my original one so I could enjoy a 2 screen setup at home. My first screen is connected to the 4870 via DVI cable. The latest one is connected via VGA cable and I use a VGA-DVI converter to connect it to the 4870. For some reason Windows 7 refuses to detect the 2nd screen as the Acer AL2223W and instead thinks it is "Generic Non-PnP Monitor" and will not allow me to set the resolution to 1680 x 1050 like the first screen. I have tried manually installed the drivers with no change whatsoever. Any idea what is causing this?

Solution
The PnP driver will be installed because windows cannot detect the monitor through the DVI adapter.

You can just manually install the driver for the vga port. Computer management -> device manager -> right click the PnP driver and select update driver.

blakwidowrsa

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012
The PnP driver will be installed because windows cannot detect the monitor through the DVI adapter.

You can just manually install the driver for the vga port. Computer management -> device manager -> right click the PnP driver and select update driver.

Solution

mike523

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2008
I managed to get that accomplished, weird thing though - when I set it to 1680 x 1050 suddenly there is a bunch of static crap on the screen, not sure how to describe it but it looks like electronic interference though lol. I tried to do a screen capture but the screen capture turned out perfectly, no graphical anomalies whatsoever.