Sign in with
Your question

Cant choose between motherboards

Last response: in Systems
November 1, 2012 1:44:20 PM

Hello,

I need a new computer and I thought the best i could do was to ask the pro's.

Approximate Purchase Date: this week

Budget Range: around 700

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Making music, browsing, email and later maybe gaming

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: everything inside the case and the case itself

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: i figure out myself

Location: City, State/Region, Country: Holland, I know a good store and will pick it up there.

Parts Preferences: Not sure yet

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: 1280x1024

Additional Comments: I dont like windows or lights in my case.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: i now have a netbook and like something with a bit more power.

I was thinking of this:

Intel 3770K
OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W
Corsair Carbide 500R
LG GH24NS90
Asus P8Z77-M PRO or Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H
Samsung 830 128GB
ASUS PCE-N53
Corsair CML8GX3M2A1600C9 Low Profile

I really don't know what motherboard to buy actually. I want it to be around 140. If i did anything else wrong feel free to correct me.

Cerla

More about : choose motherboards

November 1, 2012 2:04:18 PM

The first question to ask is, do you really need i7? It offers very little benefit, for most applications, certainly not from gaming. The two areas that do benefit, from i7 are high-end photo/video work, and some design software, particularly in 3D. Other than that, unless any music creation software, you are using, uses hyperthreading, which I doubt, there really is no point.
On the other items.
You probably don't need anything like 600w, unless you are planning to add a high-end GPU, for serious gaming. There are, also, probably better choices than OCZ.
Case: Excellent, one of the best mid tower cases around.
On the motherboard, both are good, in different ways. Need to have some idea, of what you are likely to ADD to system, like graphics card, sound card etc, to advise on best mobo. Also may be worth getting mobo, with wi-fi, rather than seperate card, depending on your needs.
November 1, 2012 2:05:48 PM

-change to a i5 3570k. i7s have no performance increase in games. even if its not gaming, a i5 can still do well. but if you are doing more than 3 hrs of rendering a day, then id get a i7
-get a hyper plus cooler for overclocking.

if you are making music, id get a sound card as well
http://pcpartpicker.com/de/p/m8tg
Related resources
November 1, 2012 2:12:31 PM

Hi, thanks for the fast responses,

So in the future hyperthreading won't be widely supported in the future?

I already have a usb soundcard from Avid.

I plan on adding a single powerful gpu in the future (in 1-2 years maybe)

No plans for overclocking.

What is a better PSU for around 600 watts for not much more money

If I take a motherboard with build in wi-fi is it powerfull enough to reach 3rd floor? router is on the first floor.

The mobo can be around 180 if it has build in wi-fi.

Cerla
November 1, 2012 2:31:51 PM

hyperthreading will be used in the future eventually but by then you are going to upgrade

if you are not overclocking, why the heck would you get z77 and a k chip?????

my power supply is better than yours anyday

motherboards dont have built in wifi most of the time. 180 euros is a ton of money. just get a wifi adaptor and router

revised build since you are not overclocking
http://pcpartpicker.com/de/p/m8A2
November 1, 2012 2:35:26 PM

If you have potential signal strength issues,you are probably safer to go with a seperate wi-fi card. I'm not sure how well on board would work. If you are looking to add GPU and expansion cards, you are better to go with a full ATX board, that has more slots and room, than mATX.
Even current graphics cards don't need 600w. If you are not adding GPU for a year, the next generation, is likely to use even less power. 500w is almost certainly adequate, but if you can get 550w, from XFX, or Antec, either will be plenty, and better quality, at reasonable price.
Hyperthreading is a bit of a "chicken and egg" situation. People will not generally get it, until a lot of software supports it, and there's no incentive, for software writers to use it, until more people have it. In gaming terms, you're probably talking 5 years. Extension to some more commonly used software, like basic photo stuff, may come sooner, who knows? Chances are, you will be updating again, especially if you get into gaming, before it's common.
November 1, 2012 2:36:38 PM

Because of the way Intel selects the chips. K chips are the best and they know that so they allow you to overclock.
I really dont like the sound of ASrock. Z77 sounds like the newest motherboard chipset. I dont want old stuff. Is 550 watt enough for a i5 and one gtx 680? Is it a modular psu?

A wifi adapter is 35 euro's, a motherboard is 120 euro's, a better motherboard without a doubt including wi-fi costs me 160 euro's. It is a solid idea.

Why did you select 1333 mhz ram?
I dont need a lot of space, 128 will be enough and I like an SSD.
November 1, 2012 2:47:18 PM

I can't edit my previous post somehow.

An update op the current list:

Intel i5 3570K
Corsair Enthusiast TX550M OR Thermaltake Smart M550W OR be quiet! Pure Power L8 530W
Corsair Carbide 500R
LG GH24NS90
Asus P8Z77-V
Samsung 830 128GB
Corsair CML8GX3M2A1600C9 Low Profile
November 1, 2012 2:56:05 PM

550w plenty. The only current card that is "borderline" with 550w, is HD7970, and that would probably be superceded, in a year, even if you wanted something like that. Your original choice of RAM is fine. You definitely want 1600MHz. GSKill Ares, or Crucial Ballistix Sport are good, and low profile, but no real reason to change.
The XFX, whilst very good, isn't modular. If you want modular, Antec do some, also good. The best ones are Seasonic, but expensive. The XFX is made by Seasonic.
November 1, 2012 3:03:04 PM

So all we have to choose now is the PSU:

Corsair Enthusiast TX550M
Thermaltake Smart M550W
be quiet! Pure Power L8 530W
Antec HCG-520M
Seasonic M12II 520W
November 1, 2012 3:18:03 PM

if its higher quality but you cant use that quality, what the heck is it supposed to help you in??? it just doesnt make sense. its not like the same chip on the same die would suddenly perform a mile faster

h77 is identical to z77 other than overclocking

i chose 1333mhz ram for the i5 3330 since it is a fiar bit cheaper for a un-noticeable speed increase.

and id get the antec 520 or the seasonic 520. whichever is cheaper
November 1, 2012 3:23:51 PM

Okay, thanks Big Troll.

I actually plan to mildly overclock when I think my CPU is too slow. I always like to have options. This is beautifully in my price range.

Thanks for your help all I saved myself a 100 euro's thanks to your advice.

Cerla
November 1, 2012 3:41:37 PM

midly overclocking wont do much. if you hit 4.5ghz, then you can start seeing some noticeable performance gains
November 1, 2012 7:14:09 PM

cerla said:
So all we have to choose now is the PSU:

Corsair Enthusiast TX550M
Thermaltake Smart M550W
be quiet! Pure Power L8 530W
Antec HCG-520M
Seasonic M12II 520W

I wouldn't recommend the Thermaltake, but all the others are ok.
November 1, 2012 7:16:26 PM

I go with the seasonic I guess.

Hope I get some improvemend over my Atom N270 now :) 
November 1, 2012 7:30:31 PM

cerla said:
I go with the seasonic I guess.

Hope I get some improvemend over my Atom N270 now :) 

That wouldn't be difficult. But yes, by a million miles.
November 1, 2012 7:32:42 PM

I have one more question, can I take my HDD out of my netbook and put it in the new computer so I have access to all my files?
November 1, 2012 7:52:50 PM

Assuming it's SATA.
November 1, 2012 7:56:00 PM

It is a 2009 netbook so I guess SATA.

Thanks for all the help folks.
November 1, 2012 10:34:57 PM

but the 5400rpm drive will be incredibly slow for the rest of the system
November 2, 2012 1:11:56 PM

Just spoke to someone who says that laptops have different connectors than desktop computer and it will not fit.

I will only use it if I need an old file, i will run windows and all application from the ssd.
November 2, 2012 3:31:52 PM

it will fit. all hard drives use sata. but then apple is a exception since they are f@gs sometimes
November 2, 2012 3:37:10 PM

Okay, thanks! I am certainly going to try it.

Thanks so much.
How do i close a thread?
November 2, 2012 3:43:56 PM

just let the mods do it
!