Duron HSF installation

Olfin_Bedwere

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2001
In a few days I will assembling a system with a Duron as the CPU. However, i've heard stories about people accidently destroying their Athlons/Durons by using too much force when installing the HSF. It sounded like the usual 'My CPU is better than yours' stuff, but are there any particular precautions I should take when installing the HSF?

P.S. The Hammer will include an IHS, and presumably on-die thermal circuitry. Looks like that saga's coming to an end. :smile:

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
yeah....

R E A D T H E I N S T R U C T I O N S

sorry but i had to do that.
u would be amazed at the number for morons we get on here with ZERO experience at mounting a heatsink... and even less common sense.

i am definately NOT calling you one... and will be happy when you aviod any problems.

if your unsure or uncertain about "doing the deed" get a professional to do it, and watch them closely.

If you are going to do it yourself, tell us what brand and model you are going to use... so we can give you pointers (if necessary).

Attaching a heatsink is relitively straightforward, but with certain brands/models there are things u should beware of.
certain brands should be avoided alltogether!
(the Orb series by thermaltake)

hear from u soon.

Overclocked athlon 1200C @ 8.5 x 166FSB + PC2700 = GOOD! :smile:

scamtrOn

Illustrious
Nov 20, 2001
i have to say that the best solution for any one is to buy a $2 cpu shim. experienced or not, a cpu shim is an excellent investment for the computer as it keeps the cpu temp lower and protects the die from HS installs and uninstalls. there is nothing to worry about if you just use a cpu shim.

<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/scamtron2000/Lochel.html" target="_new"> <font color=red>click here</font color=red> </A>

Olfin_Bedwere

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2001
Reading the instructions is something I always do (although not in this case, as the CPU, HSF and Mobo won't arrive till later in the week). I wonder if those who damaged their processors did?

The one I ordered was a Cooler Master 6I31C. Not sure if it includes a shim, but if not, I should be able to get hold of one easily enough. I was thinking of an Orb, but a good deal of the destroyed processor stories involved Orb HSFs, so I decided not to bother!

I did mount the HSF on my current P4, but that's a totally different mounting system. The Hammer could do with a system like that!

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
well i have a MCX-462 which mounts thru the motherboard... i wish more heatsinks were like that. completely indestructable

Overclocked athlon 1200C @ 8.5 x 166FSB + PC2700 = GOOD! :smile:

Latest posts