I3-3220 + HD 7850 VS i5-3470 + HD 7770

Hey people, i am building a system and i was wondering which combination would be better for just pure gaming? I am going to be gaming on a 23'' LG TV 1080p, and i will be playing games like Battlefield 3, Skyrim, Dishonored, etc. Which combination would be better for gaming?

EDIT: Also, are both the CPUs and GPUs compatible with the ASRock H77M motherboard?
13 answers Last reply
More about 3220 7850 3470 7770
  1. Depends on what CPU and GPU you're planning on using.
  2. Uh, those are in the title...

    For pure gaming, better graphics card every time. i3 and 7850 easily over i5 and 7770. There's a 7870 for 7850 prices right now, too, so i'd get that one and go i3+7870.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102983
  3. Id love to shop at newegg but im from the UK so all the prices are ridiculous unfortunately, also i want to ask another question, will the i3 be capable of running future games as people say that more and more games are using more than 2 cores so that gets me worried :(
  4. Yes on your compatability question...

    Between those two options I would roll with the bigger GPU, however the HD 7770 will do fine at 1080 resolution. How about sticking with the i5 and considering an HD 6870 ($160ish after rebate) to offset costs?

    FYI - The i5-3570 is currently $200 @ Newegg after promo code.
  5. twelve25 said:
    Uh, those are in the title...

    For pure gaming, better graphics card every time. i3 and 7850 easily over i5 and 7770. There's a 7870 for 7850 prices right now, too, so i'd get that one and go i3+7870.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102983


    Didn't see that. :lol:

    Oh yeah I'd definitely go for the better GPU.

    Quote:
    FYI - The i5-3570 is currently $200 @ Newegg after promo code.


    Doesn't make sense to get the 3570 unless you're getting the K model.
  6. I am from the UK and the prices are ridiculous so i dont have many options...
  7. g-unit1111 said:
    Doesn't make sense to get the 3570 unless you're getting the K model.


    Same price as the 3470 and slightly higher clock speed. Why not?
  8. Doesn't make sense to get the 3570 unless you're getting the K model.

    Read the comments that people writed: "it doesn't need to be K version"
  9. The AMD FX 43XX chip isn't that bad either if it's priced properly.
  10. How's the AMD FX-4170? 4.2 whopping GHz wow but apparently the i3 beats it in gaming? :O
  11. sadams04 said:
    Same price as the 3470 and slightly higher clock speed. Why not?


    Because there's no difference between 3.2 and 3.3 GHz, when on idle Sandy and Ivy Bridge run at 1/2 the speed and even at full use you're not gaining anything. You're paying extra for no performance gain. Put that money instead in the GPU.

    Quote:
    Read the comments that people writed: "it doesn't need to be K version"


    Even if it doesn't there's no point in getting that particular CPU if you're not getting the unlocked model.

    Quote:
    How's the AMD FX-4170? 4.2 whopping GHz wow but apparently the i3 beats it in gaming? :O


    Yeah the i3 does beat it, and I don't think I would go for FX right now.
  12. sadams04 said:
    Yes on your compatability question...

    Between those two options I would roll with the bigger GPU, however the HD 7770 will do fine at 1080 resolution. How about sticking with the i5 and considering an HD 6870 ($160ish after rebate) to offset costs?
    .


    The 7770 will do low or medium at 1080p, but it's not ideal.
  13. No, only the 4300 is worthwhile. I only mentioned it because you were worried about multicore performance at which the 4300 does beat the i3.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Gaming HD Systems Product