Sign in with
Your question

Asus GTX 670 Crashing Games

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 5, 2012 5:10:00 AM

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a GTX 670 (Asus Top DirectCU II) and installed it in my system. Everything was running fine, until about after an hour of playing a game, the monitor went into standby, then turned back on at a much lower FPS rate (10-15) which I believe was because it switched to the Intel HD 4000 embedded graphics instead. I had to alt+tab to minimize the game, wait a few minutes and then maximize it again before it would go back to its usual FPS rate. This would occur more frequently until I restarted the computer, then the cycle would repeat after about an hour of playing.

I contacted Asus technical support, who insisted I uninstall my current graphics drivers and the ASUS GPU Tweak application, restart, install their drivers he linked me to, restart again, install the VBIOS update from Asus and restart a final time. I did this but now instead of going doing it's usual standby and turn back on thing, it is now staying in standby, and what I believe would be a BSOD (if I could see it), as the sound does that application frozen noise thing until I restart/turn it off.

Is there anything on the software side of things which would fix this? I had the most recent drivers from Nvidia to start (released Aug 27), or is this a hardware issue which needs to be replaced? Asus is convinced it's my fault and I am having trouble getting a replacement on warranty as the card is less than 3 months old.

Computer specs:
MB: ASRock Z77 Extreme9
CPU: Intel IB 3770K
RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz
GPU: Asus GTX 670 2GB
PSU: OCZ 850W
SSD: OCZ Agility 3 240GB
HDD: WD Caviar Green 3TB
Monitor 1: Acer GD245HQ (used for 1920x1080 gaming)
Monitor 2: BenQ GL2440 (secondary monitor usually used for movies/tv shows/other apps while gaming full screen)
Monitor 3 (tv): Samsung 40" (can't remember model) (usually used for games when I use a controller or movies)

All my monitors are plugged into the Graphics Card, TV in HDMI, Acer in DVI-1 and BenQ in DVI-2

I have 1 HDMI port on the motherboard which I haven't tried yet.

Thanks for any assistance you can give me.
September 6, 2012 5:37:18 AM

Update/Bump: I turned off AA and it ran for about double the time longer as it normally does, before doing the same thing.
m
l
September 6, 2012 7:07:49 AM

amuffin said:
Update the drivers.

Beta version:
http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/47631

Thanks for the reply.
I had the beta version before I was told to uninstall it and install the Asus driver.
I have reinstalled the Beta version but still getting the same problem (I would actually prefer to have it back to where I only had to restart the application..)
m
l
!