Possible GPU compatibility problems? Or just RMA it?

aigram

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2012
I have a possible DOA GPU or a, hopefully, compatibility issue that can be resolved.
My system is as follows:

Intel i5 3570K Ivy Bridge

ASUS P8Z77-V LK Z77 LGA 1155 R

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL

OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Modular High Performance Power Supply compatible with Intel Sandybridge Core i3 i5 i7 and AMD Phenom

SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity (100315L )

Western Digital WD Blue WD5000AAKX 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

ASUS 24X DVD Burner

COOLER MASTER Storm Scout SGC-2000-KKN1-GP Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

My GPU is not being identified by the OS. It is not displaying in Device Manager, at all.
I have tried the following trouble shooting in this order.

Reseat the card
Reconnect power
Download the latest driver
Uninstall and re-download the latest driver
Update the ASUS BIOS
Swear at my computer a lot

Before I call Newegg and ask for yet another RMA (I have had the shittiest luck. I have RMA'ed my PSU, MOBO, CPU, and now possibly my GPU), is it possible that there is just some sort of compatibility problem with my GPU?

The only thing that I have not tried is connecting a different GPU to ensure that my PCI port is working, and trying my GPU in another system. That will probably happen tonight or tomorrow.

Also the GPU is definitely receiving power at least; the fan spins.

I'm also building this with a very experienced builder, we should be able to troubleshoot most things.

Thanks,
Alex

It should be compatible as it is based off the PCI-E standard. As long as you have the power to the card plugged in and seated properly it should detect the card and ask for drivers, or install a default set. Are you plugged into the card and receiving video or to the motherboard onboard?

You mentioned you replaced the PSU, but you could try using the other PCI-E power connector since your card needs one and your PSU has 2.

aigram

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2012

Good call on the other PCI-E power connector, I'll try that out. Right now I am using the onboard iGPU graphics. If this happened to you would you just RMA it or keep trying?

Also, could you suggest a somewhat similar performance/price for an NVIDIA card?

Yeah I would try that out and if that doesn't work just RMA if it was new. So you bought a 6850 new, is that accurate? If so it was what $150? I would buy a GTX650Ti at $150 instead. However, truthfully I would spend the little extra money and get a GTX660 which delivers quite a bit more performance than that $150 card range. I think they are about $230, but VERY worth it.

Look through this review as it has most of the cards in your price range. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-650-ti-benchmark-gk106,3318.html