Old GTX 560 vs. shiny new HD 7950

Vadered

Honorable
Sep 4, 2012
I'm building a new gaming computer in the next month or so. However, when I say gaming, for the most part I mean MMOs like GW2 or WoW which don't tend to run over the video card as hard as, say, BF3. I'm also really, really close to my budget. On that note, is it really worth paying about $310 for a 7950 instead of saving a little dough and getting a GTX 560 for $140 (I love you Microcenter). I understand I'll need to update the 560 in a few years, but at that point I imagine I'd probably be upgrading the GPU anyway. (I'm hoping the i5-3570k will last, though).

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: between now and 8/31.

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, streaming video, surfing the internet.

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: So terrible I daren't speak their names (okay, the gpu is a GeForce 7900 GS). I'd be buying either one of the titled video cards and a PSU to match.

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS:
i5-3570k slightly overclocked (4.0g or so) w/ 212 EVO aftermarket cooler
2x4g Corsair Vengeance ram,
ASRock z77 extreme4 mobo
Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX case
Not sure how I feel about overclocking a gpu or providing cooling for it.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Cheapest for a given make/quality. I have access to a Microcenter store, though honestly that's more helpful for the CPU/mobo.

PARTS PREFERENCES: Definitely sticking with an intel processor.

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe. Again, I'm not sure how much overclocking a GPU affects temperatures. I'm sure OCing the 7950 will require SOMETHING, right?

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe in the future. Probably not right now.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: Hoping for 1920x1200 around medium settings or better at lower resolutions.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Mainly the cooling thing. I just don't know how to cool a GPU beyond stock fans.

REMEMBER: The more information we have about your system, your budget, and what you're using the card for, the better the advice we can give you - providing it up front gets you your answers and puts a card in your hands that much faster!

drums101

Distinguished
I would actually recommend neither of those cards...if I were you I would put the money down on a 7870....its one of the best bang for your buck card out there....it is well worth it over the price of gtx 560 this way you dont have to stretch your budget to get a 7950 but you can still get a great performing card.