Sign in with
Your question

C2D to z77 upgrade advice!

Last response: in Systems
November 1, 2012 5:11:07 PM

Hello!

A few years ago I posted here while making my PC it was a C2D E8600, 4GB, 4870X2 and it lasted until recently (I've since upgraded to a 6870X2). I just received my first proper wage installment so its time my PC got some love. It doesnt play too well with Frostbite 2 based games and CryENGINE 3 which has swayed my hand!

Here are the specs currently sitting in my shopping cart I was wondering if people could give me their opinion on the parts I've chosen as last time I did this and it really helped.

Intel Core i7-3770K
AsRock Z77 Extreme6
Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 8GB
OCZ Agility 4 128GB (OS and small applications only)
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
WD Green 3TB (mass storage)

I am planning on reusing my 850W OCZ PSU and ATi 6870X2, CD drive, sound card etc.

Cheers in advance for any advice.

More about : c2d z77 upgrade advice

November 1, 2012 5:15:13 PM

Really the title should say C2D to i7 upgrade, but I couldn't edit it once I had posted it.
Related resources
November 1, 2012 5:27:59 PM

Oh wow I totally overlooked the 3570K is it just the lower Cache that decreases the price so much? I cant imagine that 0.10GHz is worth nearly $80. I've never really looked too close at impact the Cache has what sort of difference is there in performance between the two?

I also do some image editing (not film editing so its not too intensive) and I'm also a software engineer so programming with multiple IDEs open at once is common. Does this change your recommendation? Also whats the bonus of that G.skill RAM?
November 1, 2012 5:45:58 PM

Quote:
Oh wow I totally overlooked the 3570K is it just the lower Cache that decreases the price so much? I cant imagine that 0.10GHz is worth nearly $80. I've never really looked too close at impact the Cache has what sort of difference is there in performance between the two?

It's not the cache - it's the extra threads. If you're gaming you won't use them. If you're running multimedia intensive applications (CS5, Revit, etc) you will.

Quote:
I also do some image editing (not film editing so its not too intensive) and I'm also a software engineer so programming with multiple IDEs open at once is common. Does this change your recommendation? Also whats the bonus of that G.skill RAM?

Depends on what you're running.

And then that G.Skill RAM is just higher quality than Corsair XMS is. It has a better heat sink as well.
November 1, 2012 5:48:30 PM

Oh I totally missed that the 3570K is an i5. Derp. Cheers I'll bear that all in mind before I click buy. I'll probably get that RAM then tbh. Thanks!
!