Upgrading from 2008 Windows XP system to Windows 7 (or 8?)

Psycho Savager

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2007
As we have a little over a year before Microsoft terminates support for Windows XP, and presumably a similar amount of time before released software goes the same way, I'm thinking about upgrading to Windows 7 soon (or maybe Windows 8 if someone can convince me). My current computer was built in early 2008 and has been used fairly heavily - how much of the hardware will be suitable for running Windows 7/8 smoothly? I'd like to keep the case for convenience reasons but I can upgrade the other parts if needed.

My current computer has the following specs:-

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6750
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2R
RAM: Crucial 2GB DDR2
SSD: OCZ Vertex Plus Sata 2.5" 60GB
HDD: Samsung SpinPoint T166 HD321KJ
Optical Drive: Samsung Super WriteMaster SH-S203
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 3850
Case: ThermalTake LANBox (only takes micro-ATX)
PSU: Corsair HX520 520W
Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster

Approximate Purchase Date: Weeks before Christmas

Budget Range: <£500

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Surfing the net, playing games, watching films

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: Whatever needs upgrading

Do you need to buy OS: Yes

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: No preference

Parts Preferences: Must be micro-ATX motherboard if new one is needed. Prefer Intel CPU to AMD.

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: 1280 x 1024

dingo07

Distinguished
you don't need to change anything to install and use Windows 7

it'll still be the 2008 computer u put together, just with the new OS and it's better support of devices, etc...

D

Deleted member 217926

^ Yep.

All that hardware is compatible with any version ( 32 or 64 bit ) of Windows 7 or 8.

D

Deleted member 217926

Yes. I would run 4GB minimum for 64bit Windows 7. Most new computers have 8GB minimum now but that's mostly because DDR3 is dirt cheap right now with 8GB for under $40. 4GB is pretty much the minimum you want. Older DDR2 will be harder to find and more expensive.

TRENDING THREADS