2nd Graphics Card Limitations??

Showponystuart

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
I currently have a system build that has a Nvidia Quadro 4000 card in it (see bottom of post for complete system). I am currently running 2 U2410 Dell monitors and would like to add a 3rd (maybe a 4th later on down the track). My question is, to do this do I have to buy myself a 2nd Quadro 4000 or can I whack any old graphics card it to run the extra monitors.

Initially I was thinking that I could just use a usb converter and run it though a usb port (I wouldnt bother getting a U2410 in that case, I would get something cheaper). But if I can add a second card, that seems like the better solution.

I am using this as a engineering workstation, so I was hoping to let the Quadro 4000 do all the heavy lifting in terms of rendering/dealing with 3D models ect and have the extra card just running the extra monitors. Is this possible? I dont really want to drop another grand on a second Quadro 4000 that I don't really need (I'm not utilising it to its fullest as it is realistically).

So any thoughts? I have had a look at some other threads, but there never seems to be a complete consensus. I just want to get a clear picture of whether I can buy a cheap second card to run the extra monitors or not.

SYSTEM

CPU --------> i7 3930k overclocked to 4.5GHz
MOBO ------> ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
RAM -------> 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1866MHz
HDD(1st) -> 128GB Samsung 830 Series(For programs ie windows, ansys, proe etc.)
HDD(2nd) -> 512Gb Samsung 830 Series(working drive for ANSYS simulations)
HDD(3rd) -> 1Tb WD Caviar Black (for everything else)
GPU -------> Nvidia Quadro 4000
Sound card --> ASUS Xonar Essence STX (Just cause could)
Cooling --> Liquid Cooling CPU & Motherboard

Showponystuart

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
I only just saw this post below http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/368838-33-triple-monitor-setup-recommendations.

Will the same thing be true for my system as it was for his? Any recommendations for what the second card should be (doesn't need to be very flash at all I would imagine?)