Microsoft Windows 7 Pro SP1 64-bit - OEM On Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit - OEM

Today $125.99 With Promo Code EMCNHJC69

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116992&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL021712&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL021712-_-EMC-021712-Index-_-OperatingSystems-_-32116992-L011B

32-116-992-04.jpg

Solution

Nope -- Perfectly Legal sale -- whether the end user installation is legal or illegal depends on how the purchaser uses the product !!! -- It is not up to a retailer to determine if the product they sell is going to be used in a manner cosistent with the EULA of a third party company and they are entitled to sell the product by Microsoft - If Microsoft truly wanted to curb the sale of OEM products to end users they could adjust the requirements that retailers have to follow in order to sell it but for now they allow retailers to sell the OEM product without any restrictions so nothing illegal about it !

He's talking about it being a violation...

Nope -- Perfectly Legal sale -- whether the end user installation is legal or illegal depends on how the purchaser uses the product !!! -- It is not up to a retailer to determine if the product they sell is going to be used in a manner cosistent with the EULA of a third party company and they are entitled to sell the product by Microsoft - If Microsoft truly wanted to curb the sale of OEM products to end users they could adjust the requirements that retailers have to follow in order to sell it but for now they allow retailers to sell the OEM product without any restrictions so nothing illegal about it !

He's talking about it being a violation of the EULA for end users to install the OEM version of a product unless it is on a system built for resale -- so the use of this version by a DIY builder for their personal use is in essence not a fully Legal installation ( even though it will validate and MS has no way of knowing or enforcing such a limitation !)

Solution

Indeed, back in the day it use to be harder to buy OEM software because you had to purchase the mobo it would be installed to at the same time. They have relaxed their policies quite a bit over the years, and it is perfectly legal to install an OEM licence on your own home build (you are technically selling it to yourself, and providing your own support). Nothing illegal about the sale, and nothing illegal about most of the people who will use it for home builds or builds for other people. Those who are purchasing it to put on their dell or other machine may be doing things illegally as they are supposed to buy the retail or upgrade version... but I really think they don't care that much considering the upgrade version is cheaper than OEM, plus MS does not have to support the OEM where they would have to support either retail or upgrade, so MS wins in the end.

[fixed]He's talking about it being a violation of the EULA for end users to install the OEM version of a product unless it is on a system built for resale -- so the use of this version by a DIY builder for their personal use is in essence not a fully Legal installation ( even though it will validate and MS has no way of knowing or enforcing such a limitation !)
[/fixed]I know that, that's why I asked : )

Especially in the USA it would not fly.

daship

Distinguished

I have been using technet for years for all my PCs. All the software in a technet sub is full version retail. I evaluate it on a daily basis.

1 Software is licensed for evaluation purposes only—not for use in production environments.

I would take that to mean that a corporation with a Technet account cannot use that download for non-testing purposes. Ie. They can't install the eval version on all of their computers and say that they are testing; That would be an in-production use.

I would deem that you are using your eval software in a production environment, especially if you are using the software in a business environment, that does not have a seperate testing environment.

daship

Distinguished

I don't own nor do I work at a business. I evaluate for personal enjoyment on my full version reatail products. I run Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit and office 2010 on 6 computers all for the low price of free, because I got my technet sub free for a year, that was two years ago and I printed all my keys incase I needed them in the future. The last until you activate them 10 times. I think I am good to go for a few dozen more computers if I ever have the need.

Exactly --- and to respond for him -- He is an OEM builder who builds machines for others for a fee and is slightly upset that retail outlets sell the OEM version to DIY builders who build systems for themselves and family, friends instead of them being required to purchase Retail versions, thus making his profit margins dwindle as he tries to compete in pricing of the systems he builds and resells. Since he can not get the type of pricing discount that major builders get from MS allowing them to build cheaper systems and having the OEM version available to the end user cuts into the profit margin that he can make vs. if they were required to purchase a full retail version while he could resell machines using the OEM version.

daship

Distinguished
Status
Not open for further replies.