Sign in with
Your question

Computer is completely pixelated, help please.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 5, 2012 10:05:25 AM

Hey guys not sure if this is the right section, so sorry in advance. But anyway I've been wanting to fix my old gaming computer for a long time now after having to replace it with a very cheap laptop :(  I can't exactly tell what's wrong with it but I can provide pictures as to what's going on with it. Any help would be be appreciated.

Specs:

Model: XPS 630i

Hard drive: 750gb 7200rpm

Processor: Intel (R) Core ( Duo CPU or something its too hard to read in dxdiag ) E8400 [ 3.0 GHz 2CPU's ]

RAM: 4GB 800MHz

Graphics: 8800GT ( NVIDIA ) ((after looking all over for XPS graphics cards lol))

Power Supply: 750w

This is an image taken from my BIOS.

This is the inside of my rig.

And here is the GFX card.

Again thank you for any help. [Side-Note: The second picture is a pic without the gfx card and the third one is with it in]

And if it's my graphics card that is fried or broken, can you guys suggest which card can replace it. ( and if it could run guild wars 2 decently )
a c 291 U Graphics card
September 5, 2012 11:12:30 AM

Looks like the card is dying. I'd check it in another PC though just to be sure it's not the motherboard.

What's your budget for the new card?
m
l
September 5, 2012 11:28:53 AM

I have about 150-200$ dollars for a spending limit since I'm a freshmen in college and such. And I'll go chuck it in my roommates CPU and come back with the answer.

Edit: Yep definitely the graphics card, same boot up problems it's all glitchy and stuff.

So any recommendations for a XPS 630i system? I'd prefer to be able to play Guild Wars 2 at max settings :D 
m
l
Related resources
a c 177 U Graphics card
September 5, 2012 11:45:58 AM

Sadly, artifacts like that on the BIOS screen usually mean the card is due a decent funeral but before consigning it to the recyclers remove and reseat the card, it's possible the connections have taken a turn for the worse while it was stored. If there's no improvement, you should try to try it in another machine.
Toms has an article on Guild Wars, have a read and see what you think.
The CPU is quite slow by current standards, though, expect it to be close to the bottom of each benchmark chart.
m
l
a c 177 U Graphics card
September 5, 2012 11:46:18 AM

OK...OK...I'm a slow typer!
Can you take a shot of the PSU? We need to know: Its total output, amps on the +12 volt output and how many PCI-E leads it has.
m
l
September 5, 2012 11:53:07 AM

coozie7 said:
Sadly, artifacts like that on the BIOS screen usually mean the card is due a decent funeral but before consigning it to the recyclers remove and reseat the card, it's possible the connections have taken a turn for the worse while it was stored. If there's no improvement, you should try to try it in another machine.
Toms has an article on Guild Wars, have a read and see what you think.
The CPU is quite slow by current standards, though, expect it to be close to the bottom of each benchmark chart.

Well it'll be a massive improvement from playing on a Lenovo B575 series, let's just say it's poop.

Laptop specs for fun:

Processor: AMD E-350 Processor (2CPUs) ~1.6GHz :( 

Memory: 4gb RAM

GFX Card: AMD Radeon HD 6310M ~400MHz T_T

Yes playing GW2 on that made me cry every time considering I was averaging 5-7FPS everywhere, it's amazing how I got 50% map completion with this kinda laptop. So really any kind of upgrade at this point would be massively great.
m
l
September 5, 2012 11:56:44 AM

coozie7 said:
OK...OK...I'm a slow typer!
Can you take a shot of the PSU? We need to know: Its total output, amps on the +12 volt output and how many PCI-E leads it has.

I'm guessing PSU means power supply unit? If so would you like a picture of the Power box thing?

Also link to said article regarding CPU performance on GW2 please? Thanks.
m
l
September 5, 2012 11:57:30 AM

I'd guess as above that the graphics card has met its maker. Could try taking it out and giving it a good clean but to be honest if it is doing that just going into the bios I can't imagine it being much of a heat issue:(  Trying it in an a mates pc or borrowing a mates card for yours is the easiest way to confirm.

I suppose if some of the bios settings got scrambled i could effect it, but there again Dell usually have fairly simple bios.

Did it go all of a sudden or were you starting to get issues building up when gaming?

Just looking at this site there is a little roundup of cards for playing this game, that's handy.
m
l
a c 177 U Graphics card
September 5, 2012 12:03:00 PM

@GeneralKai: Yep, that's the thing, get a good clear shot of the rating label.
m
l
September 5, 2012 12:03:50 PM

womble said:
I'd guess as above that the graphics card has met its maker. Could try taking it out and giving it a good clean but to be honest if it is doing that just going into the bios I can't imagine it being much of a heat issue:(  Trying it in an a mates pc or borrowing a mates card for yours is the easiest way to confirm.

I suppose if some of the bios settings got scrambled i could effect it, but there again Dell usually have fairly simple bios.

Did it go all of a sudden or were you starting to get issues building up when gaming?

Just looking at this site there is a little roundup of cards for playing this game, that's handy.

It gradually got worse and worse when I was playing Age of Conan way back when lol.

Also do you think a GTX 550 Ti would work for my rig? :??: 
m
l
September 5, 2012 12:07:02 PM

coozie7 said:
@GeneralKai: Yep, that's the thing, get a good clear shot of the rating label.

Alrighty hold on a bit I'll add it in an edit shortly.

Edit: Imgur isn't working for me right now so sorry about that :[
m
l
a c 177 U Graphics card
September 5, 2012 12:12:48 PM

And let us know what resolution you're using, higher resolutions will need more graphics power than lower ones.
m
l
September 5, 2012 12:14:41 PM

coozie7 said:
And let us know what resolution you're using, higher resolutions will need more graphics power than lower ones.

The monitor I will be using will be 1680 x 1050 (32bit) (60Ghz) Thank you. :) 
m
l
a c 177 U Graphics card
September 5, 2012 12:17:27 PM

Not to worry on the PSU front, according to Google the XPS630i uses a 750 Watt supply so it'll run ANYTHING you care to put in there.
m
l
September 5, 2012 12:18:19 PM

coozie7 said:
Not to worry on the PSU front, according to Google the XPS630i uses a 750 Watt supply so it'll run ANYTHING you care to put in there.

Yes! So do you think I can slap a GTX 550 Ti in there? :love: 
m
l
a c 291 U Graphics card
September 5, 2012 12:25:44 PM

Sure you can! Though I'd suggest HD 7770 instead: faster and costs the same.
m
l
a c 177 U Graphics card
September 5, 2012 12:30:12 PM

^+1
m
l
September 5, 2012 12:30:47 PM

i had the exact same graphics card as you and the exact same problem, i replaced the card and it worked fine..
m
l
a c 177 U Graphics card
September 5, 2012 1:08:06 PM

It's XFX.
And i's quite expensive.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 5, 2012 1:09:56 PM

That is a ridiculous price for that card. Save yourself $60 and order one from NewEgg or whatever online retailer you are familiar with.
m
l
September 5, 2012 2:50:02 PM

vrumor said:
That is a ridiculous price for that card. Save yourself $60 and order one from NewEgg or whatever online retailer you are familiar with.

Being from Hawaii and with no credit card what so ever, I'd rather pay the upfront cash.
m
l
September 5, 2012 2:53:26 PM

coozie7 said:
It's XFX.
And i's quite expensive.

And thanks for the recommendation and the help, much appreciated. But would the HD 7770 even fit in my computer? It looks rather large from a side angle haha.
m
l
a c 177 U Graphics card
September 5, 2012 5:53:06 PM

Although you may not be able to purchase from the 'Egg their site can be helpful in other ways, they often give the size of each card on offer, for example so you can use a tape measure to see if a given card will fit.
Even so, the XPS series were designed as gaming rigs so I doubt you'll have any problems.
This is a little more wallet friendly:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+AMD+Radeon+HD+7770+1...
And if you check the size under 'details' it's quite compact:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
September 6, 2012 8:41:11 AM

coozie7 said:
Although you may not be able to purchase from the 'Egg their site can be helpful in other ways, they often give the size of each card on offer, for example so you can use a tape measure to see if a given card will fit.
Even so, the XPS series were designed as gaming rigs so I doubt you'll have any problems.
This is a little more wallet friendly:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+AMD+Radeon+HD+7770+1...
And if you check the size under 'details' it's quite compact:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Would you recommend the Asus HD 7770 with a 200$ spending budget? I would prefer the biggest bang for my buck. Or should I just stick with the XFX HD 7770 / GTX 550 Ti? I am heading to bestbuy on friday to look at some cards, so let me know if you can :) 
m
l
a c 177 U Graphics card
September 6, 2012 10:58:19 AM

Although the CPU is fairly weak by current standards at such a high resolution it's usually better to give the system as much graphical power as budget permits so if you can find a stronger card that fits your other requirements within budget go for that.
You might find this article useful:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-car...
m
l
September 6, 2012 12:01:52 PM

Alright so in your opinion what is the stronger card? HD 7770? or the GTX 550 TI.

Edit: I believe someone said the HD 7770 was the better card up in the thread. So thank you for all your help.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 6, 2012 1:25:44 PM

If you refer to the heirarchy chart (which is posted EVERY month here for everyone to read), they are both similiar in performance. So it will be your preference.
m
l
September 6, 2012 1:55:29 PM

vrumor said:
If you refer to the heirarchy chart (which is posted EVERY month here for everyone to read), they are both similiar in performance. So it will be your preference.

Since I'm still relatively new here, would you mind linking me? :sol: 
m
l
a c 177 U Graphics card
September 6, 2012 2:14:30 PM

The link is in my last post.
The cards are of equal standing in general so, as vrumor says, it's your choice.
m
l
September 8, 2012 4:38:47 AM

Thank you all for all your help <3

7770 series ready to rock. :D 

Now time to find out how my wireless airlink PCI works...

Edit: Lol so for whoever is still hanging around, my PC actually runs again. It's just that the wireless Airlink101 PCI adapter won't freaking work...so I can't connect to the internet since my roommate is that one wired in downstairs. One problem after another -sigh-
m
l
a c 291 U Graphics card
September 8, 2012 10:59:48 AM

Glad you made a choice. It's unfortunate that the adapter doesn't work - did you try reinstalling the drivers or reseating it in the PCI slot?
m
l
September 10, 2012 5:08:09 AM

Sunius said:
Glad you made a choice. It's unfortunate that the adapter doesn't work - did you try reinstalling the drivers or reseating it in the PCI slot?

I got it to work after trying over and over again transferring files from my laptop back and forth like dozens of times. I just had to transfer some of the drivers for the wireless adapter built in to my computer and then re-download them onto the actual tower. Hard work payed off I guess. But I'm still trying to fine tune some things since my computer is randomly freezing and crashing in the middle of the game forcing me to manually shut it down.
m
l
a c 291 U Graphics card
September 10, 2012 6:28:47 PM

I'd try checking your memory. Those problems may be memory related - (not saying they are). www.memtest.org
m
l
a c 177 U Graphics card
September 10, 2012 8:56:15 PM

Try some of these, if you've not already done so:
Remove and reset the memory and do the same for all the powersupply leads, that'll remove the possibility of bad connections.

Make sure Windows is up-to-date. If you're not sure you can check through the Microsoft website.
At this point you should set a Restore Point
Update DirectX, again, through the Microsoft website. DirectX does not update automatically with Windows we (users) have to update manually. A failed DX update can really put a crimp on your day, hence the Restore Point ;) .

It is possible the problem is caused by driver conflicts, Nvidia and AMD drivers do not tend to play nicely with each other and uninstalling the existing Nvidia drivers will have left some files behind, which can cause problems so...
Grab a copy of Driversweeper and install it.
Download the latest sound and video drivers do not install yet Not sure where you'll find the sound drivers but the video drivers are on the AMD website.
Uninstall the current sound/video drivers and restart in Safe Mode.
From Safe Mode run Driversweeper to clean out the residue of the uninstalls.
WARNING!!!! Driversweeer (and others) have been known to delete system files so you MUST check every file before deleteing them.
Restart normally and install the downloaded drivers, restarting as required.

STILL no joy?
Run Memtest.
m
l
September 11, 2012 7:11:03 AM

Uhh so I ran Pre-Boot assessment build 4508

I got an OPU optical error, any ideas?

And now I can't even see my start menu nor right click my screen. It boots up just can't do anything else except CTRL+ALT+ESC for the task manager.

The computer gods hate me...this is just seriously problem after problem...
On a side note, you guys are such great helpers after all this time I really appreciate all of your help. I feel like a retard needing to have my hand held through all of this, and for that I thank you.
m
l
a c 177 U Graphics card
September 11, 2012 11:35:16 AM

The OPU optical error is because there was no CD/DVD in the drive so it could not be tested.
Exactly what have you done? Just run Memtest or have you done any of the things I suggested?
This is beginning to sound like a HDD problem so try booting into Safe Mode and running the disk checker from there. Start>My computer>right click the 'C' icon>click the tools tab>click on the check now option. Do not check (tick) either of the small boxes to fix errors or it may not run.
If that's alright try running with just one stick of memory in, Memtest is not perfect.
m
l
September 11, 2012 12:04:08 PM

Edit: Reinstalled the OS and now I'm redownloading my graphics card drivers, will report later.

>My main account on the PC is still screwed over so i was forced to log into a guest with limited access abilitys
>Reinstalled my gfx drives
>rebooting currently to see what else I need to repai
m
l
September 12, 2012 9:50:24 PM

Okay finally, everything back to how it was. Now how does this memtest work? I opened it and don't see how to use it.
m
l
a c 291 U Graphics card
September 13, 2012 4:45:36 AM

You need to install the ISO file to USB flash drive and blank CD, and then boot from it in BIOS. Just make sure to install the ISO contents into the storage media, not .ISO file itself!

Or, if you don't want to play with that if you've never encountered ISO files, just download the autoinstaller for USB key. It will install it on USB flash drive automatically.
m
l
September 18, 2012 3:17:41 PM

Well after trial and error, my computer is stable. Thank you all for your help. Highly appreciate it, I can run all ultra settings with a stable 25-30FPS which is amazing for me considering I'm used to 2-13FPS. I love you all.
m
l
!