Parts for gaming computer

BMF96

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2012
Here is what I have so far.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/lXpP

I am planning on playing WoW, SWTOR, BF3, Skyrim, Crysis 2, ect. if it matters.

For the monitor, I'm getting the 27" shimian 2560x1440.

Obviously, I am trying to get the best parts I can for the cheapest. Is the hd 7850 good enough? I heard that it is better than the 560 ti as long as you overclock it. Basically what I want to know: Is anything overkill, not good enough or should get a different brand, any other tips?

Solution
There isn't that overly that much difference among air coolers, so IMO its only worth going for the cheap (~$30) or extreme options (~$80). The middle ground doesn't perform well enough against the budget and for usually a small bit more you can get something top-end.
A good budget cooler is the Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO. I had it before I went watercooling and its a great heatsink, easily supports moderate overclocks on the 3570k.
There isn't that overly that much difference among air coolers, so IMO its only worth going for the cheap (~$30) or extreme options (~$80). The middle ground doesn't perform well enough against the budget and for usually a small bit more you can get something top-end.
A good budget cooler is the Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO. I had it before I went watercooling and its a great heatsink, easily supports moderate overclocks on the 3570k.

Solution
G

I don't know if a 7850 will cut it for the monitor res you have. It depends on what frames and settings you want to run games at. For a monitor like that and assuming you want high settings a 7950/7970 is the way to go. But those are a lot to play upfront. I would suggest maybe buying one 7850 2gb now and another one later and putting them in crossfire when you feel the need for an upgrade.

BMF96

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2012
Do you think it's necessary for me to overclock the CPU? This is mostly going to be for gaming and from what I've read, it doesn't seem to effect gaming much (I could easily be wrong, I am still reading up on this). Though I'm pretty sure I'm going to overclock the graphics card.

Overclocking the CPU does help in games, but not as much as an overclocked graphics card will.
However, you might as well and its very simple. You can just set the 3570k to 4.2Ghz and leave it there. Voltage doesn't need to be messed with to maintain that frequency and the 212 EVO will easily cool a CPU clocked that high.

G

It depends on budget. If you are on a tight budget I would overclock a 7850 if you overclock it effectively you can get it to preform on the same level as a 7950. and later on down the road you could crossfire it. But if you have it in you budget get a 7950/7970 or an equivalent nvidia card.

The 7850 is a great GPU, especially after overclocking. But at that resolution I suspect it will struggle to get a good FPS at med/high settings.

If you can afford a better card, do it.

The other option would be to downgrade the monitor and use the cash for a stronger GPU. But then it comes down to what you really want. Doing this will benefit performance in the short term (as long as you are using that GPU), but in the long term having a good monitor will be appreciated (especially if you get a stronger GPU later).
My 1080p monitor was somewhat expensive back when I got it, and it has lasted me 4yrs, far longer than the machines that have been powering it.

G

Totally Agree. And like I said earlier a 7950 or a 7970 is a good value. And is really good at high resolution.

G

You should be able to get a 7950 for 300-320. I saw a gigabyte and a sapphire on newegg that were both about 300. They were overclocked I believe.

G

I think that already has a factory overclock. If you really wanted to you could. But I don't think it will be necessary , that card is already a monster as it is.

Looks to be all good.

Only thing I would change is the PSU to this. Works out to the same cost before and after rebates.
XFX 550W, 80+ Bronze. $70 ($10 rebate)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207013&Tpk=XFX%20550W
Its less wattage, but you have a higher efficiency. All XFX supplies are effectively re-branded Seasonic's, so you know its good quality. Corsair is a good brand as well, but I have heard some bad things about the capacitors used inside the CX (Builder) range.
550W is still enough for any single card rig.