Your question

RAM testing

Last response: in Memory
Anonymous
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
November 3, 2001 5:42:02 PM

Ok, two questions:
1) I just got a second 256 MB PC133 CL2 stick of SDRAM for my Asus K7V motherboard. Just to make sure the sucker was working and playing nicely with my other stick, I ran memtest86 on it. All the tests passed except for 6, which they describe as a "modulo-20 test" where 26 single bit randomly located (i.e., randomly distributed between byte 0 and the last byte of memory) errors among the 512 MB were found. What does this mean? Do I have a bad piece of hardware somewhere? I'm a bit confused as to why just that test would fail on my Athlon system.

2) I have CL2 memory but I'm not savvy enough to set my motherboard correctly to take advantage of it. What should my settings be in the BIOS (I think it's Award)?

Thanks to all those more knowledgable than me,
Nick

More about : ram testing

November 3, 2001 7:38:25 PM

The timing should be i think it's either 6 or 7 ns and should be 2-2-2, In order to run at CAS2.
Edit: I forgot to add that changing it to CAS2 won't hurt anything. It'll either run at CAS2 or it won't boot into windows, In which case just change it back to what it was at.

My system: <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=8946" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=8946&lt;/A><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by AEboy128 on 11/03/01 04:40 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
Anonymous
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
November 3, 2001 10:59:38 PM

UPDATE:
I re-ran the memory test with just the old chip, and then just with the new test. The old chip passed with flying colors, but the test on the new chip passed until it _froze_ on the 5th test. D'oh. So I'm making the wild assumption that the chip is bad and will send it back.

Also, I discovered to my dismay that in contrast to my previous beliefs my old chip is CL3. Damn.
November 4, 2001 1:05:56 AM

Well, as long as you have a name brand stick you can run it at CL2 without any problems.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
!