Need advice building a gaming tower

pinna

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012
Hi all.

I'm going to build a PC through cyberpowerpc and just wanted some advice. If you recommend another site to build computers, I welcome your suggestions.

I put together a computer years ago and don't really know much beyond basics. Posting this question so you can recommend what I need and what I don't.

Intended uses for future PC:
-BF3 and upcoming BF4
-Video editing with Avid/Pinnacle

I was planning on getting the following:
-Intel i5 3570k
-Nvidia GTX 680 2GB
-8GB RAM @ 1866 Hz
-2 TB HD 7200
-Mid-tower
-120mm fan with liquid cooling
-Intel Pro Gigabite LAN

I have no clue what motherboard and how much power supply to get and if the above components are enough. I also just bought Windows 8 since it was cheap at target and I'm using Vista on my current 4 year old PC. I wanted to keep the cost below $1500. I have a 27" monitor already.

Any comments on my config? Do I need to get the brand name power supply like thermaltake or the generic is ok?

Thanks in advance.

pinna

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012
I've been spoiled having warranties/service plans on all my electronics and Cyberpower is a 20 min drive away; I can pick it up and save on shipping.

The same config buying components through Newegg is about $100 cheaper but I don't have to assemble it myself and I get a 3 year limited warranty.

Thanks I'll look into Z77 mobos

marshal11

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
i would highly suggest getting a MSI gtx 680 lightning. they overclock like crazy, have cool blue lights, run VERY cool and quiet, and have dust removal technology which is very effective.

do you plan on sli? if not, i'd grab a good 550W PSU. if you do plan on sli, you probably could even do it with a good 600W PSU because of how efficient kepler is, but i'd get a good 650W minimum.

you can get any Z77 mobo you want. just check the reviews on newegg, and make sure your CPU is compatible with the first BIOS the motherboard came out with unless you or your buddy have a compatible CPU, you could use that to update your BIOS if you do buy a motherboard that doesn't support your CPU with its BIOS.

one other suggestion: get a SSD. even a cheap little 32GB to install windows and your drivers on. my samsung 830 128GB boots windows 7 in 4 seconds. it boots before the windows 7 loading animation is even done. it saves a ton of time.

can i ask what company manufactured the HDD you are buying? i would only get something from either samsung or western digital. those are the only manufacturers i trust when it comes to HDDs.

pinna

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012

Thanks! I'll look into all of that. I don't plan to run SLI yet, I'll look into at least 700W. I didn't even know about the BIOS compatibility so I'll make sure to be mindful of that. Initially I was going to get an AMD processor, but when I checked Intel on cyberpower, it explained how I could use a SSD for booting and frequently used files. I'll definitely get western digital for the HDD like I have been using.

I'm going to make a trip to Frys this weekend and if I don't like what I see I'll order through Cyberpower.

Thanks for helping a noob.