Sign in with
Your question

Intel i5 processor compatible with motherboard

Last response: in Systems
November 1, 2012 9:37:20 PM

Hello i am going to be building my first system in a few weeks time and i have already chosen all the parts but im not sure if this cpu will work with the motherboard so i just wanted to make sure if they were compatible with each other.

CPU: Intel i5-3470 3.2GHz
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0083U94CO/?tag=pcp0f-21
Motherboard: ASRock H77M Motherboard
http://www.amazon.co.uk/ASRock-H77M-Motherboard-Socket-...

Are they compatible with each other? as i heard that the motherboard is a micro board, and i don't know what that means and that is worrying me slightly.
Thank you in advance.
a c 82 V Motherboard
November 1, 2012 9:44:46 PM

The CPU is LGA1155 and the motherboard has a LGA1155 socket, they are compatible.

Motherboards come in various sizes. Smallest to largest, it goes I-TX, M-ATX, ATX, E-ATX and then some special motherboards that are larger than that. That motherboard is M-ATX.
Only difference between it and say a standard ATX board is that you have less expansion slots, RAM DIMM's, SATA ports and features in general
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
November 1, 2012 9:45:55 PM

Yes they are compatable. They both use the lga 1155 socket. Micro ATX just means that the motherboard is smaller than a standard ATX.
Related resources
November 1, 2012 9:47:07 PM

Will i be able to install my system onto it fine though? i am going to be getting that i5 processor, 8gb ram and a 7850 1GB, will that all fit into it?
November 1, 2012 9:54:05 PM

Yes it will, graphics card will be a bit weird, but yes, it will all fit into it.
Unless you are getting RAM with Heatsinks on them, if so, just get RAM with low profile heat sinks on them (From Corsair, they make great RAM with low profile heatsinks on them)
a c 82 V Motherboard
November 1, 2012 9:56:47 PM

Yep, will all fit assuming the case is large enough.
November 1, 2012 9:59:24 PM

Thanks for all your help guys! really appreciate it :D 
!