No Internet Access

doxq

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010
Starting yesterday randomly the ethernet connection in my dorm to my Windows 7 laptop stopped working. There were no changes or new installations I can think of, it just randomly cut off around 2 PM yesterday. Since then I've tried using a different cable, using system restore, checking the drivers on my network cards, restarting multiple times, etc. with no success. My ethernet card is "Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller". I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling this multiple times.

It says that I am connected to the actual router, but that the router isn't connected to the internet. This is weird because when I plug the cable from the wall into my Xbox, it works just fine and I can play online without any issues. Just not sure what to do at this point. I had an IT guy from my school come and he recommended getting a new ethernet cable. I did, and that did not solve the issue. I'm really at my wit's end here as I've tried every possible thing I can think of.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also let me know if there's any information I can provide that will help you help me.

Edit: When I run the diagnostics on it, it gives me this message:

"Your computer appears to be correctly configured, but the device or resource (microsoft.com) is not responding."

Edit2: I went to another building and plugged my laptop into the ethernet in the wall and it worked absolutely fine. not sure what that means.

Solution

Well you have some internet access, because you can ping servers on the internet.
If you can't load webpages, I am guessing HTTP protocol (what webpages use) are being blocked some where along the line.
The only things I can think of at the moment that would cause this is
1) Some sort of software, like a firewall, antivirus program. maybe a virus.
You could try disabling all firewalls and antivirus, spyware programs that could interfer...

Caldrumr

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2011
Since you can get a connection on your XBox, the connection is not the culprit. Have you tried hooking up a different computer, to see if the issue may relate to your computer?

Catsrules

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
Hmm very strange, especially since it works on another network. It almost sounds like the router banned your laptop from internet access.

I would like to double check to see if the computer really can connect to the router.
First plug your ethernet cable in your computer, give it a 10 count to attempt to set up the network, then go to the start menu type in cmd in the search, and hit enter.
That should open up a command prompt, in there type ipconfig
Then look for some thing like "Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection"
It should look something like this.

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . :
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

What is the
IPv4 address
Subnet Mask
Default Gateway

Next try to ping your Default Gateway (This is most likely the router) by typing in ping then the ip of the default Gateway
For example if it was 192.168.1.1
Then type
ping 192.168.1.1

If you get a reply then try to ping 8.8.8.8 for fun.
See if that gives your a reply

doxq

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010
IPv4 address: 129.63.53.28
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 129.63.53.254

Here's what came up when I pinged both of those things:

RrPZC.jpg

Thanks for your help.

Catsrules

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
Hmm your internet is at least working a little. 8.8.8.8 is a google DNS server, you would not be able to get replys you didn't have some sort of a working internet connection.

lets try something harder
ping www.google.com
If you get a response then that means you have a connection and you contacted your DNS server to resolve the www.google.com name.

doxq

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010
Here's what came up when I pinged www.google.com

0KeXx.jpg

Now it is actually saying that I do have internet access (on the taskbar at the right bottom corner), but I can't load any webpages, play any online games, etc., so I clearly don't actually have internet access.

mf2780

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2010
Just to clarify here is whats happening:

1 You can connect to the wall port and get internet with no problems.
2. You can not connect via WiFi.
3. You have a network cable going from the wall port into a router (means you can physically get to the router and get into its menu).

Above is what I am assuming.

Possiblities:
1. Wireless issue(computer): This is the easiest to check. Find another wireless connection and try to connect and surf web. Ask to use a neighbors wifi or go to campus and use their wifi. If you can connect without issue move to step 2. If you can not connect move to step A.
[a] Check to make sure the wireless is enabled (I know duh but you would be amazed on how often thats the case when I go repair wifi)
Make sure there is no other program that can turn off your wifi. Some examples: HP has a preloaded managment tool that lets you control your wireless card. _ Even if its enabled and all settings are correct in the device manager it still wont let you on the internet.

2. Router Issue. Again i am assuming you control the router.
With the router plugged into the wall port, connect your notebook directly into the router via a network cable. Try to connect to the router. If unsure how it should be the default gateway IP. Default username and password depends on brand but can be found by doing a simple search.
If you can not connect directly to the router you have a few things you can do that depends on how its being used.
It can just be reset back to factory default and you can go in and set up the wireless again (MAKE SURE TO SECURE IT).
Steps to perfom a factory reset are:
Hold reset button down while power is still plugged in for 30secs, without releasing the reset button unplug router(power) for 30secs then plug router back in and after 30secs release the reset button. Wait for router to sync back up.
Try connecting again via the ethernet cable again. If you can connect then set up wireless and security. (Without it being secure it is possible someone may cause you problems). If you still can not connect to router try reset again (sometimes it doesnt reset the first time).

P.S. If my assumption was wrong and you dont have the router at your physical location dont assume your wall port and wifi is the same. It is possible one is independent of the other.

doxq

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010
I can connect to wireless fine, I believe that is separate. It is only the wired internet that isn't working. And no, I don't have access to the physical router. An ethernet cord runs from my laptop to the wall and that's all I can see.

mf2780

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2010
Ah sorry I misunderstood.

Have you tried starting laptop into safemode with networking?

Havent checked but there was a Windows Defender update on the 19th. Can check update forums to see if anyone else is having issues also.

Catsrules

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008

Well you have some internet access, because you can ping servers on the internet.
If you can't load webpages, I am guessing HTTP protocol (what webpages use) are being blocked some where along the line.
The only things I can think of at the moment that would cause this is
1) Some sort of software, like a firewall, antivirus program. maybe a virus.
You could try disabling all firewalls and antivirus, spyware programs that could interfer with network communication.
2) Your school's router is blocking your laptop for some reason. maybe a bandwith cap, or you violated you schools internet use policy some how. maybe you computer has malware that is sending out suspicious data
I would talk with your school's tech people again, ask if any of there equipment would block internet, and why would it be blocking your laptop.
3) Unlikely but possible, the Ethernet port on the wall is broken.
If you can access another Ethernet port close by try that one and see if internet works.

Just out a curiosity try a FTP and a https sight they will use a different protocols and different port numbers, they may not be blocked.
You can just type the links directly in to your web browser

Here is a link to a public FTP sight
ftp://ftp.secureftp-test.com/
Username test
Password test
And here is www.google.com secure https sight
https://encrypted.google.com/

Facebook has a secure sight as well if you use that.
https://www.facebook.com/

Solution

doxq

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010
It turns out I was just banned from their network for illegal file sharing (downloading torrents I believe). In the end I just changed my MAC address, so the problem that was plaguing me for weeks was fixed in seconds >.<

Anyway, thanks a bunch everyone who responded for all your help. Once again this site has saved me :)