Sign in with
Your question
Solved

What's the best guide to building your own computer for a newbie?

Last response: in Systems
November 2, 2012 12:05:48 AM

I apologize if this has been covered elsewhere, but thanks to the help of forum members, all the parts to my new computer are being sent to my house as we speak. I have never built my own computer before. I have seen lots of guides on the internet, but is there one that is geared towards novices like me?

Here's pretty much what I'm getting:

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($319.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V PRO ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($189.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($81.57 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.93 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($189.00 @ B&H)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card ($227.55 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 500R Black ATX Mid Tower Case ($101.60 @ Mac Connection)
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Silencer MK III 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($55.71 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS224-06 DVD/CD Writer ($19.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Monitor: Dell U2410 24.0" Monitor ($449.00 @ Dell)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (64-bit) ($136.45 @ B&H)

Thank you!
Related resources
November 2, 2012 12:18:52 AM

He said he already ordered the parts and are being shipped. Now, to answer your actual question haha, there are many great guides floating around on Tom's, you just have to look in the right place. I do believe, though I do not remember who, that someone has made guides for stuff like this, including build guides for $200-$400, $400-$800, or something of the such and so on. Also, if you ask, just about any Tom's member who knows their stuff will be willing to put together some sort of guide for a newbie like you :p  Actually, I may just do that. It may take a bit but I feel like it might be worth it. Thanks for the idea! Haha. I'll start working on it tomorrow, and in the mean time if anyone knows of a good one to link that is detailed for beginners, please do so :)  Best of luck!
m
l

Best solution

November 2, 2012 12:54:24 AM

Couple of good guides on the Internet, these are the ones I learnt off.

NCIX System Build guide.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIJx6Y3tofg

NCIX Cable Management guide of the above.
Its a fairly long video, but cable management takes a while. Fully expect to get nowhere near as neat in the video, I'v sunk at least two hours into cable management and its still a mess behind the mobo tray.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERhxmzQR6xA&feature=fvwr...

Newegg System build guide part 2 (part 3 is about the OS,drivers and all that. Worth watching)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_56kyib-Ls
November 2, 2012 2:34:59 AM

Thank you. Haven't watched all of them yet, but they look like a good place to start. I hadn't seen those.

Jr - I did find a couple of guides on Tom's, but they were older - one by a couple of years, and one by several years. Knowing how quickly things change, I think I need one (or more) that was made recently. And one that is done assuming the target audience knows nothing (not that far from the truth). Anything you can come up with or direct me to would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again
m
l
November 12, 2012 4:34:34 AM

Best answer selected by dan98.
m
l
!