mbs081200

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2002
Hey everyone, how's it going? I have a question which has probably been debated many times, so please forgive me for asking again.

A friend of mine has asked me to build a system for them. However, they are not sure whether to go with an Intel P4 or the AMD Athlon XP. I've always heard that the Athlon is faster than the P4 but has some stability issues. I never trusted the AMD myself so I am, and probably always will be, an Intel fan (I know I know, stubborn and a sucker, hey what can I say, Pentiums have always treated me well).

I'm just looking for some opinions so please don't be afraid to let loose. Thanks

mbs081200

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2002
Sorry Sorry Sorry. I posted my message before I actually looked at the message board. Ignore the main message. Sometimes idiot boy makes an appearance and I have no control over it. Thanks anyway.

G

AMD is not unstable, it just require more patches or fixes than Intel. Some people don't have any problem at all.
Yes, AMD XP is faster than P4, in terms of using the same amount of $$. If you buy the P4 2.2 will water cooler and OC it, it is faster than XP, but too expensive for most people (at least too expensive for me). Right now, I guess XP1700+ is the best for moeny/performance ratio.

tlaughrey

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
AMD is not unstable, it just require more patches or fixes than Intel. Some people don't have any problem at all.
What patches and fixes are you referring to? I've never required a patch or fix for any of my AMD processors. I assume you're referring to problems with certain motherboard chipsets. You can avoid that by picking the right chipset. But don't spread the myth that AMD processors are less compatible than Intel processors or require patches or fixes in order to work.

<i>I made you look. But I can't make you see.</i>