Closed Solved

AMD Radeon HD 6670 DDR3 -[S-Video]> CRT TV

GPU : VTX AMD Radeon HD 6670 DDR3

Hey, got a question.

Been playing a couple of console games, and have noticed that the colours on my CRT TV is a gajillion times better than the colours on my LCD screen, so I'd like to play games on my CRT TV.

I game at 1280X1024 preferably, but 800X600 is fine, as is 1024X768. Better colour > Higher res.

Found a few of these boxes on amazon :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Converter-S-Video-Computer-Composite-Switcher/dp/B000X3FAJU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346869608&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Proxima-Direct%C2%AE-Composite-Converter-satisfied/dp/B004TCXING/ref=pd_sim_sbs_ce_2

(There are a gajillion, some £10, some £20, a couple are £60).

Would these work with my GPU when plugging a cable into 'em and then connecting them to my TV?

Cables aren't an issue. I got loads of cables that can do all the connecting shizné.

Thanks in advance.
12 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about radeon 6670 ddr3 video
  1. It's possible you can tune your LCD to get a lot better colors than it has. I've never seen a CRT TV that had better color than an LCD screen as long as they are tuned.
  2. probably your LCD is really old, the first LCDs had bad color fidelity (compared with good CRTs), but nowdays most of LCDs have a great color fidelity.

Also i would recommend you don't using any converters, and if you console have HDMI/DVI use them, the digital signal quality is much better than the VGA analogic signal.
  3. Perhaps I should have defined better colours...Well, better.

My LCD has this weird noise thing going on. When I have the colour black on my LCD, it has different colours jittering about (Not like red/blue everywhere, but different shades of black changing to different shades and back, etc.), as an example.

That, and the colours are also more vibrant on the Sony Triniton than the Samsung SyncMaster that I'm using right now.
  4. Now we're just drifting off-topic :P

Is it possible to connect, via VGA/HDMI/DVI/m-Display port to S-Video, or less preferably, RCA?
  5. I agree. I can't imagine a CRT TV having better colors.
  6. Best answer selected by MajinCry.
  7. Best answer
    MajinCry said:
    Now we're just drifting off-topic :P

Is it possible to connect, via VGA/HDMI/DVI/m-Display port to S-Video, or less preferably, RCA?

it is possible with converters, but like i have said, it is not a good solution, quality is not good, if you want a fixed solution look for a digital connection, without converters.

For a temporary solution i would go with the converters, but the quality will be worse.
  8. When you say "Worse", what do you mean?

Noise? Blurring? Colour bleeding?
  9. MajinCry said:
    When you say "Worse", what do you mean?

Noise? Blurring? Colour bleeding?

interference, loss of resolution/refresh rate, low color fidelity (different from reality), depending on the quality of the converter different issues will be seen.
  10. I know this is answered, but I just want to say that yeah CRT had WAY better color for some uses then LCD. I can not get over how much trouble LCD's can have with dark colors(and banding on colors. I am just that picky). New screens are much better in this respect, but still lack the ability to to look as smooth(pixel response) and have as much overall color quality(too many screens are using dithering because they can not display enough colors).

On the other hand the quality of S-video on anything but a DVD is going to be very blurry looking.

Dither vs Not. Very zoomed in, not noticeable to many users
  11. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
  12. @Nuke That is precisely what I'm talking about!

Also, the blurriness doesn't bother me. I kinda like my games with a medium-heavy blur effect.

I'll nab a converter box then :D
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards TV CRT Monitors Radeon Graphics