Pentax istD-S Question

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
January 23, 2005 7:39:11 PM

Hi all,

Two questions actually.

Does anyone know if the istD-S can use a cableswitch for shutter release on
a tripod?

Can someone recommend a ring-flash unit that they know will work OK with
either the D or D-S versions of this camera?

I don't have the camera yet but I am considering one or the other Pentax
models as I have a load of the older KA series lenses from my Super-A which
I'd rather not have to replace. Unless of course . . . you know different in
which case I'd be very grateful for your views

Regards, Pete Smith.

More about : pentax istd question

January 23, 2005 7:39:12 PM

In article <41f3d21c$0$16974$ed2e19e4@ptn-nntp-reader04.plus.net>, "Pedro"
says...
> Hi all,
>
> Two questions actually.
>
> Does anyone know if the istD-S can use a cableswitch for shutter release on
> a tripod?
>
> Can someone recommend a ring-flash unit that they know will work OK with
> either the D or D-S versions of this camera?
>
> I don't have the camera yet but I am considering one or the other Pentax
> models as I have a load of the older KA series lenses from my Super-A which
> I'd rather not have to replace. Unless of course . . . you know different in
> which case I'd be very grateful for your views
>
> Regards, Pete Smith.

See if you can find a photo of the camera on line.

If the photo shows a threaded hole in the shutter button, your problem is
solved.

It also should be listed in the cameras "specs." if there is a review.

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 16:39:11 -0000, Pedro wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Two questions actually.
>
> Does anyone know if the istD-S can use a cableswitch for shutter release on
> a tripod?

Yes. It uses the same connection as the Canon 300D so use either the Pentax
CS-205 or the Canon RS60-E3, whichever you prefer. Both work fine.

> Can someone recommend a ring-flash unit that they know will work OK with
> either the D or D-S versions of this camera?

Any flash designed for a Pentax. The inexpensive Vivitar works fine.

> I don't have the camera yet but I am considering one or the other Pentax
> models as I have a load of the older KA series lenses from my Super-A which
> I'd rather not have to replace. Unless of course . . . you know different in

Any Pentax lens will work on either the D or the DS. KA will allow all modes
and features to be used. Pre-A lenses can be used in metered manual mode.

--
John Bean

It is better to hide ignorance, but it is hard to do this when we relax over
wine (Heraclitus)
Related resources
January 23, 2005 9:53:28 PM

Thanks for your suggestion. I have looked very closely at all that is
available. Any clues are very well hidden. The Pentax website hasn't even a
brochure yet. The istD brochure states that it can use their cable switch
but no such information is available for the -S variant.

I would really like to know what makes the D much more expensive than the
D-S.
"Larry" <lastingimagery@comcast.dotnet> wrote in message
> In article <41f3d21c$0$16974$ed2e19e4@ptn-nntp-reader04.plus.net>, "Pedro"
> says...
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Two questions actually.
>>
>> Does anyone know if the istD-S can use a cableswitch for shutter release
>> on
>> a tripod?
>>
>> Can someone recommend a ring-flash unit that they know will work OK with
>> either the D or D-S versions of this camera?
>>
>> I don't have the camera yet but I am considering one or the other Pentax
>> models as I have a load of the older KA series lenses from my Super-A
>> which
>> I'd rather not have to replace. Unless of course . . . you know different
>> in
>> which case I'd be very grateful for your views
>>
>> Regards, Pete Smith.
>>

> See if you can find a photo of the camera on line.
>
> If the photo shows a threaded hole in the shutter button, your problem is
> solved.
>
> It also should be listed in the cameras "specs." if there is a review.
>

> --
> Larry Lynch
> Mystic, Ct.
January 23, 2005 10:07:21 PM

Excellent feedback, thank you.

The Pentax website states that the original D variant can use their
cableswitch but they make no mention of it for the D-S. Thanks for the info.

With regard to your ring-flash suggestion, would that be the Macro 6000 AF
(or some similar name), I have seen on one web site that it is not
recommended for digital cameras. Any idea why? I can't think of a reason and
that is the one I was considering to buy.

All my lenses with the exception of my Tamron 500mm mirror are Pentax SMC or
Takumar KA versions. Most of these have seen little use since the demise of
my Super-A, a brilliant piece of engineering in my opinion, but suffered
from technology for technology sake. Corrosion of internals is a big problem
and I think mine has suffered in that respect; despite it's being stored in
a warm and dry environment. I had considered having it repaired by Pentax
but I want to go totally digital so it'll probably end up on eBay for
spares. Thank you very much for your valued opinion.

Regards, Peter Smith.

"John Bean" <waterfoot@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 16:39:11 -0000, Pedro wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Two questions actually.
>>
>> Does anyone know if the istD-S can use a cableswitch for shutter release
>> on
>> a tripod?
>
> Yes. It uses the same connection as the Canon 300D so use either the
> Pentax
> CS-205 or the Canon RS60-E3, whichever you prefer. Both work fine.
>

>> Can someone recommend a ring-flash unit that they know will work OK with
>> either the D or D-S versions of this camera?
>
> Any flash designed for a Pentax. The inexpensive Vivitar works fine.
>
>> I don't have the camera yet but I am considering one or the other Pentax
>> models as I have a load of the older KA series lenses from my Super-A
>> which
>> I'd rather not have to replace. Unless of course . . . you know different
>> in
>
> Any Pentax lens will work on either the D or the DS. KA will allow all
> modes
> and features to be used. Pre-A lenses can be used in metered manual mode.
>

> --
> John Bean
>
> It is better to hide ignorance, but it is hard to do this when we relax
> over
> wine (Heraclitus)
Anonymous
January 23, 2005 10:54:25 PM

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 19:07:21 -0000, Pedro wrote:

> Excellent feedback, thank you.
>
> The Pentax website states that the original D variant can use their
> cableswitch but they make no mention of it for the D-S. Thanks for the info.
>
> With regard to your ring-flash suggestion, would that be the Macro 6000 AF
> (or some similar name), I have seen on one web site that it is not
> recommended for digital cameras. Any idea why? I can't think of a reason and
> that is the one I was considering to buy.

Yes. With only the exception of Pentax (I think) all digital SLRs use a form
of TTL flash control not compatible with their film bodies, so flashes need
to be "digital" compatible.

Pentax do have a "digital only" TTL system (P-TTL) but both the D and the DS
will happily use plain TTL if that's what is offered. It works with any lens
too, not just KA or newer.

So: the Vivitar 6000AF for Pentax works just fine in TTL (not P-TTL) when
used on a D/DS.

When it comes to backward compatibility many manufacturers may "talk the
talk" but only Pentax "walks the walk". If a lens was made for a Pentax, you
can use it on a D/DS. If a flash was ever made for a Pentax, you can use it
on a D/DS. If... But you get the drift :-)

--
John Bean

To err is human - and to blame it on a computer is even more so (Robert
Orben)
January 24, 2005 9:04:31 PM

I have found this web site offering the 6000AF at a very good price but
under the description there is a note stating that it is not suitable for
digital cameras. I have requested further info but as yet had no reply. Any
ideas why they might make this negative recommendation?
Site is at
http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=...

Pete.

> On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 19:07:21 -0000, Pedro wrote:
>
>> Excellent feedback, thank you.
>>
>> The Pentax website states that the original D variant can use their
>> cableswitch but they make no mention of it for the D-S. Thanks for the
>> info.
>>
>> With regard to your ring-flash suggestion, would that be the Macro 6000
>> AF
>> (or some similar name), I have seen on one web site that it is not
>> recommended for digital cameras. Any idea why? I can't think of a reason
>> and
>> that is the one I was considering to buy.
>
> Yes. With only the exception of Pentax (I think) all digital SLRs use a
> form
> of TTL flash control not compatible with their film bodies, so flashes
> need
> to be "digital" compatible.
>
> Pentax do have a "digital only" TTL system (P-TTL) but both the D and the
> DS
> will happily use plain TTL if that's what is offered. It works with any
> lens
> too, not just KA or newer.
>
> So: the Vivitar 6000AF for Pentax works just fine in TTL (not P-TTL) when
> used on a D/DS.
>
> When it comes to backward compatibility many manufacturers may "talk the
> talk" but only Pentax "walks the walk". If a lens was made for a Pentax,
> you
> can use it on a D/DS. If a flash was ever made for a Pentax, you can use
> it
> on a D/DS. If... But you get the drift :-)
>

> --
> John Bean
>
> To err is human - and to blame it on a computer is even more so (Robert
> Orben)
Anonymous
January 24, 2005 11:10:04 PM

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 18:04:31 -0000, Pedro wrote:

> I have found this web site offering the 6000AF at a very good price but
> under the description there is a note stating that it is not suitable for
> digital cameras. I have requested further info but as yet had no reply. Any
> ideas why they might make this negative recommendation?
> Site is at
> http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=...

No idea, they're salesmen not photographers. Looks like a bargain to me.

--
John Bean

Computers are useless. They can only give you answers (Pablo Picasso)
January 25, 2005 2:25:55 PM

Thanks for your feedback John. I think it is a bargain too, especially as
the Canon and Nikon fit versions are not discounted. I guess Pentax isn't
selling too well. I bit the bullet and ordered an istD-S, CS-205 cableswitch
and a Vivitar 6000AF yesterday. Now I can dust off all of my old KA-Series
'bottles' and start taking real pictures again.

Thanks to all for your valued opinions.

> On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 18:04:31 -0000, Pedro wrote:
>
>> I have found this web site offering the 6000AF at a very good price but
>> under the description there is a note stating that it is not suitable for
>> digital cameras. I have requested further info but as yet had no reply.
>> Any
>> ideas why they might make this negative recommendation?
>> Site is at
>> http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=...
>
> No idea, they're salesmen not photographers. Looks like a bargain to me.
>
> --
> John Bean
>
> Computers are useless. They can only give you answers (Pablo Picasso)
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 10:26:35 PM

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 11:25:55 -0000, Pedro wrote:

> Thanks for your feedback John. I think it is a bargain too, especially as
> the Canon and Nikon fit versions are not discounted. I guess Pentax isn't
> selling too well. I bit the bullet and ordered an istD-S, CS-205 cableswitch
> and a Vivitar 6000AF yesterday. Now I can dust off all of my old KA-Series
> 'bottles' and start taking real pictures again.

I doubt you'll regret it. Just out of interest Speed Graphic sell the same
flashgun for £92. They have a "not suitable for digital" warning against all
versions *except* the Pentax one. So it seems they know what they're talking
about :-)

7dayshop seem to have dumped all Pentax flashguns, not just the ringflash.

> Thanks to all for your valued opinions.

My pleasure.

--
John Bean

I envy people who drink. At least they have something to blame everything on
(Oscar Levant)
January 26, 2005 9:06:55 AM

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 11:25:55 -0000, "Pedro" <nomail> wrote:

>Thanks for your feedback John. I think it is a bargain too, especially as
>the Canon and Nikon fit versions are not discounted. I guess Pentax isn't
>selling too well. I bit the bullet and ordered an istD-S, CS-205 cableswitch
>and a Vivitar 6000AF yesterday. Now I can dust off all of my old KA-Series
>'bottles' and start taking real pictures again.

You won't regret it. I just my ist DS last week and so far I am very
happy with it. My old lenses work very well, and you can control
EVERYTHING with it.

Glenn
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 7:34:08 PM

Glenn wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 11:25:55 -0000, "Pedro" <nomail> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for your feedback John. I think it is a bargain too,
>> especially as the Canon and Nikon fit versions are not discounted. I
>> guess Pentax isn't selling too well. I bit the bullet and ordered an
>> istD-S, CS-205 cableswitch and a Vivitar 6000AF yesterday. Now I can
>> dust off all of my old KA-Series 'bottles' and start taking real
>> pictures again.
>>

> You won't regret it. I just my ist DS last week and so far I am very
> happy with it. My old lenses work very well, and you can control
> EVERYTHING with it.
>
> Glenn

I was a bit disappointed with the compatiblity of my older Pentax lenses on
my *ist DS.
My FA 50/2.8 macro only fully works with the aperture ring on A(uto).
When I choose the aperture myself, it stays fully open (2.8), even in Av
mode, and having set <Aperture Ring Permitted> in the menu.
There's no indication in the finder, and the camera sets the speed related
to open aperture.
Only way to choose your own aperture is in M(anual) mode.
Same with my Tamron FA 24-135 (2 years old).
Does anybody know if I'm doing something wrong?
On the other hand, I can still use my M42 Super Takumar lenses (with
K-adaptor) :-)

Willem
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 8:42:13 PM

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 16:34:08 +0100, Grrr wrote:

> Glenn wrote:
>> On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 11:25:55 -0000, "Pedro" <nomail> wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks for your feedback John. I think it is a bargain too,
>>> especially as the Canon and Nikon fit versions are not discounted. I
>>> guess Pentax isn't selling too well. I bit the bullet and ordered an
>>> istD-S, CS-205 cableswitch and a Vivitar 6000AF yesterday. Now I can
>>> dust off all of my old KA-Series 'bottles' and start taking real
>>> pictures again.
>>>

>> You won't regret it. I just my ist DS last week and so far I am very
>> happy with it. My old lenses work very well, and you can control
>> EVERYTHING with it.
>>
>> Glenn
>
> I was a bit disappointed with the compatiblity of my older Pentax lenses on
> my *ist DS.
> My FA 50/2.8 macro only fully works with the aperture ring on A(uto).
> When I choose the aperture myself, it stays fully open (2.8), even in Av
> mode, and having set <Aperture Ring Permitted> in the menu.
> There's no indication in the finder, and the camera sets the speed related
> to open aperture.
> Only way to choose your own aperture is in M(anual) mode.
> Same with my Tamron FA 24-135 (2 years old).
> Does anybody know if I'm doing something wrong?
> On the other hand, I can still use my M42 Super Takumar lenses (with
> K-adaptor) :-)

A/FA/J etc: set aperture on body. All modes work.

Pre-A or A/FA etc not in "A" position: in M-mode set aperture ring, press
AEL button to set matching shutter speed automatically. Other modes not
available.

There is no incompatibility that I'm aware of, it's supposed to work like
this - did you check before you bought it?

Out of interest, why do you need to use the aperture ring on your FA lens?

--
John Bean

The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass (Martin
Mull)
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 2:48:30 AM

John Bean wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 16:34:08 +0100, Grrr wrote:
>
>> Glenn wrote:

>>> You won't regret it. I just my ist DS last week and so far I am very
>>> happy with it. My old lenses work very well, and you can control
>>> EVERYTHING with it.
>>>
>>> Glenn
>>
>> I was a bit disappointed with the compatiblity of my older Pentax
>> lenses on my *ist DS.
>> My FA 50/2.8 macro only fully works with the aperture ring on A(uto).
>> When I choose the aperture myself, it stays fully open (2.8), even
>> in Av mode, and having set <Aperture Ring Permitted> in the menu.
>> There's no indication in the finder, and the camera sets the speed
>> related to open aperture.
>> Only way to choose your own aperture is in M(anual) mode.
>> Same with my Tamron FA 24-135 (2 years old).
>> Does anybody know if I'm doing something wrong?
>> On the other hand, I can still use my M42 Super Takumar lenses (with
>> K-adaptor) :-)
>
> A/FA/J etc: set aperture on body. All modes work.

You're right of course, although I_did_Read The F*ing Manual I was
forgetting for a moment
that I have to set the aperture on the camera and not on the lens:-)

> Pre-A or A/FA etc not in "A" position: in M-mode set aperture ring,
> press AEL button to set matching shutter speed automatically. Other
> modes not available.
>
> There is no incompatibility that I'm aware of, it's supposed to work
> like this - did you check before you bought it?
>
> Out of interest, why do you need to use the aperture ring on your FA
> lens?
See above, it's an honest mistake. Thanks for the reminder!

Willemf
January 27, 2005 4:26:32 AM

I got a reply from 7dayshop today re: my question about their "Not suitable
for digital cameras" statement.

7dayshop reply : it has something to do with the trigger voltage, but please
call Vivitar UK to be 100% sure - hope this number helps - 01793 554258

Beats me. I ordered the 6000AF anyway but it hasn't turned up yet. The istDS
has though. It feels really good and my initial 'play' leaves me with the
impression that it does everything my old Super-A could do . . only better.
Auto bracketing works well and in low light the built-in flash is used to
assist the auto-focus. I'm also quite pleased that Photoshop CS can handle
the Pentax RAW file format. I had to download the latest plug-in to do it.

All of my old KA lenses work fine and so does my AF280T flashgun in TTL
mode. Even my old eyecup fits it. I did have to change the 'Using aperture
ring' custom setting to 'permitted' so that I can use my Tamron SP500 Mirror
lens (fixed aperture, f4 I think) which has an adaptall PK mount. At first
sight it appeared that the mount was shorting out all of the electrical
contacts on the body mounting ring. Placing a thin piece of paper between
the lens mount and the body mount proved that theory because the shutter
release worked when the paper was in place. . . then I read the manual . .
..now I don't need the piece of paper.

Regards, Pete Smith.

> On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 11:25:55 -0000, Pedro wrote:
>
>> Thanks for your feedback John. I think it is a bargain too, especially as
>> the Canon and Nikon fit versions are not discounted. I guess Pentax isn't
>> selling too well. I bit the bullet and ordered an istD-S, CS-205
>> cableswitch
>> and a Vivitar 6000AF yesterday. Now I can dust off all of my old
>> KA-Series
>> 'bottles' and start taking real pictures again.
>
> I doubt you'll regret it. Just out of interest Speed Graphic sell the same
> flashgun for £92. They have a "not suitable for digital" warning against
> all
> versions *except* the Pentax one. So it seems they know what they're
> talking
> about :-)
>
> 7dayshop seem to have dumped all Pentax flashguns, not just the ringflash.
>
>> Thanks to all for your valued opinions.
>
> My pleasure.
>
> --
> John Bean
>
> I envy people who drink. At least they have something to blame everything
> on
> (Oscar Levant)
January 27, 2005 9:09:47 AM

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 23:48:30 +0100, "Grrr" <ik@invalid.com> wrote:

>You're right of course, although I_did_Read The F*ing Manual I was
>forgetting for a moment
>that I have to set the aperture on the camera and not on the lens:-)

There is a bit of a learning curve here. I have already read the
manual through twice and I know I am going to need to keep it handy.
Last night I was experimenting with the white balance under an unusual
light. It took a couple of tries (my fault) but the manual adjust
worked great. You take an exposure on a white piece of paper and it
determines how to adjust the white balance. Cool.

Glenn
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 4:45:48 PM

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 01:26:32 -0000, Pedro wrote:

> I got a reply from 7dayshop today re: my question about their "Not suitable
> for digital cameras" statement.
>
> 7dayshop reply : it has something to do with the trigger voltage, but please
> call Vivitar UK to be 100% sure - hope this number helps - 01793 554258

Typical 7dayshop. Worse than no answer, a *wrong* answer! The DS has no
voltage problems with *any* flash I know of, it's safe up to 450V ("like all
Pentax cameras") according to the reply from an enquiry to Pentax Japan.

> Beats me. I ordered the 6000AF anyway but it hasn't turned up yet. The istDS
> has though. It feels really good and my initial 'play' leaves me with the
> impression that it does everything my old Super-A could do . . only better.
> Auto bracketing works well and in low light the built-in flash is used to
> assist the auto-focus. I'm also quite pleased that Photoshop CS can handle
> the Pentax RAW file format. I had to download the latest plug-in to do it.
>
> All of my old KA lenses work fine and so does my AF280T flashgun in TTL
> mode. Even my old eyecup fits it. I did have to change the 'Using aperture
> ring' custom setting to 'permitted' so that I can use my Tamron SP500 Mirror
> lens (fixed aperture, f4 I think) which has an adaptall PK mount. At first
> sight it appeared that the mount was shorting out all of the electrical
> contacts on the body mounting ring. Placing a thin piece of paper between
> the lens mount and the body mount proved that theory because the shutter
> release worked when the paper was in place. . . then I read the manual . .
> .now I don't need the piece of paper.

I'm glad you RTFM and added that last bit to avoid the need for me to say
"set MF" :-)

The mirror lens will work in aperture priority too, which is an advantage.
Any non-A lens will work full-aperture-only in Av mode.

Sounds like another happy buyer! I should be on commission ;-)

--
John Bean

The most overlooked advantage to owning a computer is that if they foul up
there's no law against wacking them around a little (Joe Martin)
January 28, 2005 2:53:29 PM

Hi all,

You might find this web page interesting (I did) and the link that details a
Pentax users experience.

http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

> On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 01:26:32 -0000, Pedro wrote:
>
>> I got a reply from 7dayshop today re: my question about their "Not
>> suitable
>> for digital cameras" statement.
>>
>> 7dayshop reply : it has something to do with the trigger voltage, but
>> please
>> call Vivitar UK to be 100% sure - hope this number helps - 01793 554258
>
> Typical 7dayshop. Worse than no answer, a *wrong* answer! The DS has no
> voltage problems with *any* flash I know of, it's safe up to 450V ("like
> all
> Pentax cameras") according to the reply from an enquiry to Pentax Japan.
>
>> Beats me. I ordered the 6000AF anyway but it hasn't turned up yet. The
>> istDS
>> has though. It feels really good and my initial 'play' leaves me with the
>> impression that it does everything my old Super-A could do . . only
>> better.
>> Auto bracketing works well and in low light the built-in flash is used to
>> assist the auto-focus. I'm also quite pleased that Photoshop CS can
>> handle
>> the Pentax RAW file format. I had to download the latest plug-in to do
>> it.
>>
>> All of my old KA lenses work fine and so does my AF280T flashgun in TTL
>> mode. Even my old eyecup fits it. I did have to change the 'Using
>> aperture
>> ring' custom setting to 'permitted' so that I can use my Tamron SP500
>> Mirror
>> lens (fixed aperture, f4 I think) which has an adaptall PK mount. At
>> first
>> sight it appeared that the mount was shorting out all of the electrical
>> contacts on the body mounting ring. Placing a thin piece of paper between
>> the lens mount and the body mount proved that theory because the shutter
>> release worked when the paper was in place. . . then I read the manual .
>> .
>> .now I don't need the piece of paper.
>
> I'm glad you RTFM and added that last bit to avoid the need for me to say
> "set MF" :-)
>
> The mirror lens will work in aperture priority too, which is an advantage.
> Any non-A lens will work full-aperture-only in Av mode.
>
> Sounds like another happy buyer! I should be on commission ;-)
>
> --
> John Bean
>
> The most overlooked advantage to owning a computer is that if they foul up
> there's no law against wacking them around a little (Joe Martin)
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 3:30:36 PM

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 11:53:29 -0000, Pedro wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> You might find this web page interesting (I did) and the link that details a
> Pentax users experience.
>
> http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

I see no references to the digital cameras though. I've seen the same
comments about lockups with high voltage flash on a particular camera (PZ-1)
in several places but usually indirectly quoted from the same guy. It's
interesting to note that even so the *worst* that happens is a lockup - no
damage even on his problematic PZ-1. I'm not sure about his 600V claim
either, I was quoted 450V by Pentax Japan and I'm happy to trust what they
told me.

Has your 6000AF turned up yet? After your query I decided to buy one at that
price as a spare. It turned up this morning, works perfectly of course.

A couple of years ago I made a TTL ringflash for the OM-4 I had by
butchering a non-TTL Vivitar that I bought new just for the ring part, and
connecting it to a cheap second-hand Olympus T20 TTL flash whose tube was
removed. Worked perfectly and I still have it, but I no longer have an
Olympus camera... The Vivitar manual flash I butchered cost more than this
much better 6000AF from 7dayshop. Thank goodness for clueless online shops
:-)

--
John Bean

Computers are useless. They can only give you answers (Pablo Picasso)
January 29, 2005 1:40:48 AM

> On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 11:53:29 -0000, Pedro wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> You might find this web page interesting (I did) and the link that
>> details a
>> Pentax users experience.
>>
>> http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html
>
> I see no references to the digital cameras though. I've seen the same
> comments about lockups with high voltage flash on a particular camera
> (PZ-1)
> in several places but usually indirectly quoted from the same guy. It's
> interesting to note that even so the *worst* that happens is a lockup - no
> damage even on his problematic PZ-1. I'm not sure about his 600V claim
> either, I was quoted 450V by Pentax Japan and I'm happy to trust what they
> told me.

I think the list they show is very much dependant on user feedback, whether
it's correct or not.

I did call Vivitar UK Technical Dept. (not that I doubted your own obviously
expert knowledge, I was just curious) to discuss the 6000AF issue with them
and I got a resounding 'No, it won't work', followed by, 'Well, it doesn't
work with some Canon and Nikon digitals', followed by "It's usually the
trigger voltage that causes the problem but as it's only about 6V on the
6000AF it might work', then eventually I got 'If an old Pentax flashgun
(mine is a 20 year old AF280T) works OK, then a 6000AF should work, even in
TTL mode'. At that point I said thank you and goodbye.

> Has your 6000AF turned up yet? After your query I decided to buy one at
> that
> price as a spare. It turned up this morning, works perfectly of course.

I think it's a real bargain . . . but . . . mine hasn't turned up yet. I've
just checked my account history with 7DayShop and my order has a
'Despatched' status so I guess it'll be here any day. I wasn't in a rush for
it so I chose the cheapest delivery. Now of course, I'm itching to use it.

> A couple of years ago I made a TTL ringflash for the OM-4 I had by
> butchering a non-TTL Vivitar that I bought new just for the ring part, and
> connecting it to a cheap second-hand Olympus T20 TTL flash whose tube was
> removed. Worked perfectly and I still have it, but I no longer have an
> Olympus camera... The Vivitar manual flash I butchered cost more than this
> much better 6000AF from 7dayshop. Thank goodness for clueless online shops
> :-)

I sincerely hope they haven't screwed up. I'll be well p****d off if the
world and his wife gets a bargain . . . and I don't. :-)

On a slightly OT issue, I called Pentax today to ask the cost of repairing
my AF280T which actually works perfectly except the battery compartment
cover latch is starting to give way. £45.00 they wanted, and to quote "We
have to charge that amount because we have to take the covers off to replace
the catch." 4 screws ? ? ? ? When I enlightened the young lady that this
price was about 33% of the cost of a new AF360FGZ (£149.00 incl VAT from
London Camera) she relented and let me have the cover for £3.85 + Carriage +
VAT, but there's a catch . . . an £8.00 minimum charge. So much for their
web prices of £25.00 for a minor repair, how much more minor can you get
than a battery compartment cover. I did however get a .PDF copy of the
exploded view diagrams and spare parts list for the AF280T and the Super-A.
if anybody wants a copy, let me know.

> --
> John Bean
>
> Computers are useless. They can only give you answers (Pablo Picasso)
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 2:13:37 AM

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 22:40:48 -0000, Pedro wrote:

> "John Bean" <waterfoot@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 11:53:29 -0000, Pedro wrote:
> I did call Vivitar UK Technical Dept. (not that I doubted your own obviously
> expert knowledge, I was just curious) to discuss the 6000AF issue with them
> and I got a resounding 'No, it won't work', followed by, 'Well, it doesn't
> work with some Canon and Nikon digitals', followed by "It's usually the
> trigger voltage that causes the problem but as it's only about 6V on the
> 6000AF it might work', then eventually I got 'If an old Pentax flashgun
> (mine is a 20 year old AF280T) works OK, then a 6000AF should work, even in
> TTL mode'. At that point I said thank you and goodbye.

Trust nobody. Especially Vivitar UK it seems ;-)

> I think it's a real bargain . . . but . . . mine hasn't turned up yet. I've
> just checked my account history with 7DayShop and my order has a
> 'Despatched' status so I guess it'll be here any day. I wasn't in a rush for
> it so I chose the cheapest delivery. Now of course, I'm itching to use it.

I think the name "7dayshop" is quite appropriate - that's how long it takes
anything to arrive, if you're lucky.

When mine turned up this morning I struggled to find anything to test it on,
but settled for this:

http://waterfoot.smugmug.com/gallery/347982/2/14927380/...

Using a $8 (new!) lens to do 1:1 macro amused me. The Vivitar 6000AF
performed impeccably on the DS, especially considering it's "not suitable
for digital" :-)

--
John Bean

The most overlooked advantage to owning a computer is that if they foul up
there's no law against wacking them around a little (Joe Martin)
January 29, 2005 4:01:26 AM

> When mine turned up this morning I struggled to find anything to test it
> on,
> but settled for this:
>
> http://waterfoot.smugmug.com/gallery/347982/2/14927380/...

Yep, that works. Subtle pic.

I noticed 7DayShop.com have another Vivitar flashgun (Pentax dedicated) for
sale at just over £30.00 that might be worth a try. A dedicated flash that
does AF assist as well for 30 quid can't be too bad.

BTW, I don't work for them, honest.
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 4:21:55 AM

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 01:01:26 -0000, Pedro wrote:

>> When mine turned up this morning I struggled to find anything to test it
>> on,
>> but settled for this:
>>
>> http://waterfoot.smugmug.com/gallery/347982/2/14927380/...
>>

> Yep, that works. Subtle pic.
>
> I noticed 7DayShop.com have another Vivitar flashgun (Pentax dedicated) for
> sale at just over £30.00 that might be worth a try. A dedicated flash that
> does AF assist as well for 30 quid can't be too bad.
>
> BTW, I don't work for them, honest.

LOL! No chance, you're obviously intelligent.

The 6000AF has an assist light but although it functions it misses the
target by a big margin - the body the 6000AF uses is the same one the cheapo
flash uses, but with the flying lead to the ringflash coming out where you
expect the flash tube to be, so the AF lamp expects the subject to be 10
feet away. It even still has a (meaningless) "bounce" adjustment :-)

I'd guess the 30 quid flash will work fine. I have an ancient Cullmann DC36
flash with a Metz SCA372 adaptor that works perfectly in full TTL mode with
the DS. No assist lamp though, I don't think AF existed when this flash was
made.

--
John Bean

To err is human, but to really foul things up requires a computer (Farmers'
Almanac)
February 1, 2005 2:51:27 PM

Guess what, it's been a week in transit and my 6000AF still hasn't turned up
.. . . and 7DayShop have none left and can't send me another one . . . words
fail me.

> On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 01:01:26 -0000, Pedro wrote:
>
>>> When mine turned up this morning I struggled to find anything to test it
>>> on,
>>> but settled for this:
>>>
>>> http://waterfoot.smugmug.com/gallery/347982/2/14927380/...
>>>

>> Yep, that works. Subtle pic.
>>
>> I noticed 7DayShop.com have another Vivitar flashgun (Pentax dedicated)
>> for
>> sale at just over £30.00 that might be worth a try. A dedicated flash
>> that
>> does AF assist as well for 30 quid can't be too bad.
>>
>> BTW, I don't work for them, honest.
>
> LOL! No chance, you're obviously intelligent.
>
> The 6000AF has an assist light but although it functions it misses the
> target by a big margin - the body the 6000AF uses is the same one the
> cheapo
> flash uses, but with the flying lead to the ringflash coming out where you
> expect the flash tube to be, so the AF lamp expects the subject to be 10
> feet away. It even still has a (meaningless) "bounce" adjustment :-)
>
> I'd guess the 30 quid flash will work fine. I have an ancient Cullmann
> DC36
> flash with a Metz SCA372 adaptor that works perfectly in full TTL mode
> with
> the DS. No assist lamp though, I don't think AF existed when this flash
> was
> made.
>
> --
> John Bean
>
> To err is human, but to really foul things up requires a computer
> (Farmers'
> Almanac)
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 3:50:23 PM

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 11:56:25 -0000, Pedro wrote:

> Finally got it and it does indeed work fine.

Thank goodness for that. You have too many new toys, you'll be spoiled for
choice :-)

--
John Bean

I like to tell people I have the heart of a small boy. Then I say it's in a
jar on my desk (Stephen King)
February 3, 2005 11:13:39 AM

Tools, John, they're tools ;-)

All I need now is some time to use them.

Pete.

> On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 11:56:25 -0000, Pedro wrote:
>
>> Finally got it and it does indeed work fine.
>
> Thank goodness for that. You have too many new toys, you'll be spoiled for
> choice :-)
>
> --
> John Bean
>
> I like to tell people I have the heart of a small boy. Then I say it's in
> jar on my desk (Stephen King)
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 9:22:09 PM

John Bean <waterfoot@gmail.com> wrote in

> On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 11:56:25 -0000, Pedro wrote:
>
>> Finally got it and it does indeed work fine.
>
> Thank goodness for that. You have too many new toys, you'll be spoiled
> for choice :-)

Mine just arrived, too. I don't quite understand it yet (it underexposes
more distant objects, overexposes near ones and I did read the "manual")
but I'm sure I will one day.

--Sophie with a new toy^hol
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 9:29:21 PM

On 4 Feb 2005 18:22:09 GMT, Sophie Wilson wrote:

> John Bean <waterfoot@gmail.com> wrote in
>
>> On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 11:56:25 -0000, Pedro wrote:
>>
>>> Finally got it and it does indeed work fine.
>>
>> Thank goodness for that. You have too many new toys, you'll be spoiled
>> for choice :-)
>
> Mine just arrived, too. I don't quite understand it yet (it underexposes
> more distant objects, overexposes near ones and I did read the "manual")
> but I'm sure I will one day.

Well, sounds like we all did them a favour by getting rid of their
"unsuitable for digital" stock. I hope yours isn't the exception...

--
John Bean

Cynicism is an unpleasant way of saying the truth (Lillian Hellman)
!